Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Just wanted to say hi to all of you over 50's bandsters.

I was banded 12-12-07 and have lost 27 lbs.

I was happy to see this forum - because we do have different problems and needs.

So, with that said - I look forward to the posts.

C.N.

Hi, I'm new here, on day 8 of Optifast and feeling mean and hungry!! My surgery is on January 15, and the last 2 days preop will be Clear Liquids. The post-op regime

Can anyone recommend a good exercise DVD for someone (me) who is disabled with arthritis? (both knees and back) i have to exercise, but can barely walk or stand for long. Hoping weight loss improves that and decreases the pain.

Carol in CT

Hi Everyone! How are all the nifty fifties doing?

C.N. - What a great weight loss! Congratulations on your banding & success! Have you started exercising yet? Great job!

Poodlecamper - Nice to see you here! We've talked on the Jan 08 bandsters. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you on the exercise, but you'll have some great responses as people start checking in. Welcome and best wishes to you on Jan 15th! Keep hanging on with your preop diet.

Carol

Hi, I'm new here, on day 8 of Optifast and feeling mean and hungry!! My surgery is on January 15, and the last 2 days preop will be clear liquids. The post-op regime

Can anyone recommend a good exercise DVD for someone (me) who is disabled with arthritis? (both knees and back) i have to exercise, but can barely walk or stand for long. Hoping weight loss improves that and decreases the pain.

Carol in CT

:welcome: :welcomeB: :welcome2:

Hi, Carol,

If you can get to a pool... YMCA, etc., Water exercise is the way to go. :Banane30::Banane42:

I deal with the arthritis problems, too, especially the knees. I'm doing Water aerobics and it's great. Also, have you tried Therabands? Good for strengthening. They sell them in a three pack at Target for around $10.

:):rolleyes:Happy Birthday, Elvis!

Phyllser--hi, I'll have to check into Therabands, I'm not familiar with them.

Luvsrocks--ah, my twin!!!!! <G> The Y in the next town has Water aerobics--BUT--it's cold here and I can't imagine having to go outside after being wet. Really hate the cold.

I started using an exercise bike yesterday--did only one mile :rolleyes: and again today.

After 14 days of Optifast and clear liquids, I then have 1 week of clear liquids and 1 week of full liquids---so monotonous!!!--before pureed, soft,progressive soft. My docs are really strict.

Trying to keep busy---took down all the Christmas stuff today.

23_9_10.gif SoutherGal

Hey, I was born in Little Rock and most of my reletives on fathers side lives there.......and I'm a Brenda too. My last name is Wilhite.

Denise....the old thread is still active.

Hey there Brenda. Dr. Wellborn is in Little Rock. I live about 45 miles from there. Brenda B.

Hi every one , I just thought I should hop in on this thread as I am over 50. 52 to be exact. I am being banded on the 16th January and am trying not to be too anxious about it. These forums are a great read though as everybody on here is very supportive and helpful to every one else. Good luck every one.

Saleel22

luvsrocks - I have been doing a bit of walking - but definitely not enough. I have a long hair chichuahua and he definitely is inspiration to walk.

I have a group of friends that exercise together 2x a week.

I am concerned about going because of the abdominals.

Does anybody have any guidelines about when bandsters can start doing situps?

C.N.

Hi every one , I just thought I should hop in on this thread as I am over 50. 52 to be exact. I am being banded on the 16th January and am trying not to be too anxious about it. These forums are a great read though as everybody on here is very supportive and helpful to every one else. Good luck every one.

Saleel22

Saleel22

Congrats on getting your band on the 16th. I was banded on Nov. 30th. I got my first fill this afternoon. I understand completely about being anxious. I was very anxious, even to the point of second guessing my decision to get the surgery.

Do some things that are relaxing to you. That helped me somewhat. You will do great! Hang in there. This is a good thread. There are a lot of folks here that have quite a bit of experience with the band and they are always willing to help or answer questions. Welcome to the land of the bansters. Brenda B.

Thanks Brenda, I have my son & his girlfriend visiting at the moment so have been trying not to think about the surgery but it is hard. I keep nearly saying something about it then stop myself as no one other than hubby knows I'm having it done.

Saleel22

Saleel22..... Congratulations on your band date on the 16th... We are all here to support and encourage each other.... One teeny bit of advice that I can give you is just before you fall asleep in surgery, think happy thoughts, for instance imagine you and hubby walking along the beach somewhere or being at your favorite vacation spot... That way you will wake up and be in a happy mood and will do much better all around.... I did this and it worked for me... Getting my band was the best thing I could do for myself..... Good luck to you...

Just stopping by to get on the thread and say hi to all..:ranger:

Hey Irishmae - Welcome to the 50+ thread - We are a pretty great gang

Weight loss has been pretty good for me and i am 54. I did not do a pre-op diet, but have lost 50 pounds. I exercise a lot though. But i also eat a lot more calories than most people seem to eat. 1600-1700 a day. Right now i am stuck though, i need a fill. Donna

Donna - you are doing great !!! its all that exercise - if i didn't exercise I wouldnt lose on my 1000 -1200 calorie heatlhy eating..

So our old thread is completely gone?????

Nope - its still there - this one can been seen by all the new people - where our other one wasn't so active and hard to find.

Just wanted to say hi to all of you over 50's bandsters. I was banded 12-12-07 and have lost 27 lbs.

I was happy to see this forum - because we do have different problems and needs. So, with that said - I look forward to the posts.

C.N.

C.N. Welcome .....

Hi, I'm new here, on day 8 of Optifast and feeling mean and hungry!! My surgery is on January 15, and the last 2 days preop will be Clear liquids. The post-op regime Can anyone recommend a good exercise DVD for someone (me) who is disabled with arthritis? (both knees and back) i have to exercise, but can barely walk or stand for long. Hoping weight loss improves that and decreases the pain. Carol in CT

Carol - they have some - google chair exercise and you should find something - I remember seeing chair exercise with that bands that Phyl was talking about - don't remember the site - google bariatric surgery exercise - it was at some site that sold Protein supplements etc -

:welcome: :welcomeB: :welcome2:

pack at Target for around $10.

:):rolleyes:Happy Birthday, Elvis!

Phyl you are too funny...

Hi every one , I just thought I should hop in on this thread as I am over 50. 52 to be exact. I am being banded on the 16th January and am trying not to be too anxious about it. These forums are a great read though as everybody on here is very supportive and helpful to every one else. Good luck every one. Saleel22

Saleel - 1955 was a GREAT year :Banane42: Welcome

I am concerned about going because of the abdominals. Does anybody have any guidelines about when bandsters can start doing situps? C.N.

C.N. Check with your doc - but it won't be for a while cuz your port site has to heal before you can do crunches - So far all i really do is walk on the treadmill -but am going to have to hit the weights soon..

One teeny bit of advice that I can give you is just before you fall asleep in surgery, think happy thoughts, for instance imagine you and hubby walking along the beach somewhere or being at your favorite vacation spot... That way you will wake up and be in a happy mood and will do much better all around.... quote]

Nicnaknut - what a great piece of advice - I wish someone had given that to me - cuz i woke up in PAIN - hot - thristy and pissed off at the world - my poor nurse - my DIL told my sis that I was grouchy - well then when I asked her about it she said "well janet you do cuss a little but every other word out of your mouth was "F" this or that - I don't remember that cuss at all !!!:embarassed:

Hi, I'm new here, on day 8 of Optifast and feeling mean and hungry!! My surgery is on January 15, and the last 2 days preop will be clear liquids. The post-op regime

Carol in CT

I can't recommend any personally, but there are a couple on Amazon.com that have reviews to go with them like this one:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Chair-Aerobics-for-Everyone/dp/B000FEMBXK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199850341&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Chair Aerobics for Everyone: DVD[/ame]

or this one:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Chair-Exercises-Seniors-Bob-Klein/dp/B000234WMW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199850341&sr=8-7]Amazon.com: Chair Exercises for Seniors: DVD: Bob Klein[/ame]

Hi everyone and good morning,

I am sort of new, definitely new to posting though I have been on this site reading. I love that there is a 50's group 'cuz that fits me. I have a question, it appears that everyone is newly banded or waiting to be banded. I have been banded a couple of years, would this still be the correct area? Or is there another place better suited?

It is nice to see such a supportive encouraging group of people!

Forreste

Dynamo.... I think there is an enzyme in the pineapple juice that helps get the food unstuck..... I'm thinking that the enzyme relaxes your stoma momentarily so the food can go down the relaxed opening.... This is just my thoughts and not scientific studies.... :biggrin1:

NMSunshine..... Thanks for the welcome back... It's good to see you again......

Apple juice also works really well.