Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Whenever I stop losing i know its because of the carbs again. As soon as I go back to mostly Protein and some veggies, I start losing, even if I need a fill.

Cheri

Because I freaked out getting on the scale and finding 20 pounds there (don't think I didn't know about it- I was hiding from my scale), I went on the old Atkins diet for a week. It was not easy and the high fat didn't feel as good as it did 25 years ago! I've gotten very fatfree with the band- heavy cream was a bit much for me. Anyway, I did it for a week and lost 4 pounds. Then the second week, nothing. And I started eating carbs again. I'm back trying to eat the way I did the first year of the band, which was just less and not much sugar.

I do lean meats, and other than frying them in olive oil Pam, I don't eat any other fats. A little Promise margarine and lemon juice with a touch of seasoned salt and garlic on my veggies, which I don't eat large quantities of. Most fat comes with your carbs which is why they stick to you. Fortunately, I can easily live without bread, potatos, Pasta, or rice. None of them tastes good without something fatty on them, anyway. Some of those make me pb and some of them slide way too easily so its way to easy to eat a lot of them. Especially if I eat those lean Proteins first the Protein stops the carb cravings. Cookies, cakes, candy, pastry. I just want to pig out on so I know I can't have those except for an occasional treat because they really trigger cravings.

As long as I stick with mostly lean proteins I don't have to weigh, measure, or count anything. I don't have to write meal plans. food is simple, easy to fix, doesn't require shopping for a lot of ingredients or having to follow recipes, which I hate. Just lean meats and some veggies. I supplement them with Atkins Protein Drinks which I love.

For lunch I frequently have one of those peel top cans of tuna or chicken, 3 oz. Don't have much time for lunch so that works well. I also will have a teaspoonful of dried lightly salted sunflower seeds throughout the day. Protein Shake for Breakfast. Decaf coffee with lots of 1% milk and splenda throughout day and evening. Continuous supply of milk and seeds gives me good fats and protein, and such complex carbs that they don't raise the glycemic index, so don't store any bad fats.

I agree that it's better to have leaner Proteins. There have been times that I have indulged things like hot chocolate made with light cream or tons of avocado and Pork rinds. I don't think that was good. The quality lean proteins and a nice variety of veggies is good. I'm trying to be good. One thing is that I will have to build in time for exercising. I HATE exercise ---and it's shows!.

I do lean meats, and other than frying them in olive oil Pam, I don't eat any other fats. A little Promise margarine and lemon juice with a touch of seasoned salt and garlic on my veggies, which I don't eat large quantities of. Most fat comes with your carbs which is why they stick to you. Fortunately, I can easily live without bread, potatos, Pasta, or rice. None of them tastes good without something fatty on them, anyway. Some of those make me pb and some of them slide way too easily so its way to easy to eat a lot of them. Especially if I eat those lean Proteins first the Protein stops the carb cravings. Cookies, cakes, candy, pastry. I just want to pig out on so I know I can't have those except for an occasional treat because they really trigger cravings.

As long as I stick with mostly lean proteins I don't have to weigh, measure, or count anything. I don't have to write meal plans. food is simple, easy to fix, doesn't require shopping for a lot of ingredients or having to follow recipes, which I hate. Just lean meats and some veggies. I supplement them with Atkins Protein Drinks which I love.

For lunch I frequently have one of those peel top cans of tuna or chicken, 3 oz. Don't have much time for lunch so that works well. I also will have a teaspoonful of dried lightly salted sunflower seeds throughout the day. Protein Shake for Breakfast. Decaf coffee with lots of 1% milk and splenda throughout day and evening. Continuous supply of milk and seeds gives me good fats and protein, and such complex carbs that they don't raise the glycemic index, so don't store any bad fats.

Could you please elaborate about the sunflower seeds? I was at a XMAS party and there was a Doctor who swore that other cultures live on sunflower oil and that I should add it to my diet......but being so busy right now have not ggogled it.....

That doctor was very interesting and well ..very well..read ... and I was warned but others that he was a walking book

WHEN I finally read up on what he told me. I am expecting..it to be so interesting...it will probaby take me days

tia

Most seeds and nuts are good for you. Their calories can add up fast but added to lean meats and veggies and a little fruit they help balance out the diet. Good fats like olive oil and sunflower oil are good for your brain as well as your heart. They can help control appetite. They usually have very complex carbs which break down slowly in the system so do not raise glycemic levels and frequently have some Protein in them as well.

They work great as a between meals snack or as a small meal.

Cheri

Well -- I have finally been able to stay on the darn bandwagon for a few weeks (low carb) and it looks like it's paying off. It feels like a NEW YEAR!! Hello 2010 --- goodbye 30lbs!!!!

I also am almost back to Planet Fitness. I did my prepping with them and I think I'm going to be able to drag myself there to exercise tomorrow. I'm not going to try to be a hero. I'll be happy if I can just get on the treadmill and walk a bit.

How is everyone else out there?

Well -- I have finally been able to stay on the darn bandwagon for a few weeks (low carb) and it looks like it's paying off. It feels like a NEW YEAR!! Hello 2010 --- goodbye 30lbs!!!!

I also am almost back to Planet Fitness. I did my prepping with them and I think I'm going to be able to drag myself there to exercise tomorrow. I'm not going to try to be a hero. I'll be happy if I can just get on the treadmill and walk a bit.

How is everyone else out there?

I don't know about anyone else,but I'm doing okay with food now. Nothing like a giving oneself a good kick in the rump to get back to business. Down 5 in about a week. Went to the surgeon today and he's great...all about helping me so that I can make my 100 (and then some). I'm still having quite a bit of shoulder pain and may have to have a laposcopy and maybe move the port at the same time. I'm holding out until April. In the meantime, trying anything not to let gas build up as that the cause of the pain- referred to the shoulder.

Other than that....all is well, thank the Lord!

Hello Group. I am glad to see this post. I was banded on December 28th and did great. For some reason I am feeling somewhat blah because it appears that I am already at a stand still even though my doctor told me I am ahead of the game. I started at 225 and on the day of surgery was 214 and now I am 198 but have been there for a week or so. I have a doctor's appointment and my first fill tomorrow. I want to do right because I am tired of the ups and downs of my weight. I am a diabetic with high blood pressure. I just want to be healthy and off my medications. I guess I am just venting right now. Again I love this site.

MsShay---so you lost 16lbs in a month? That's good for your first month! In the next few wks and months you'll get adjustments to your band and lose more weight. If you can do better at exercise than I do -- it will go faster. I lost pretty fast without exercise (50 lbs) within the first several months and I'm only 5 ft tall. So now I have to WORK if I want to loss the rest. But there's no doubt that exercise is best -- even if it's walking.

As far as health improvements -- you WILL see it!!! I had sleep apnea, high blood pressure, gastric disorders, high cholesterol and triglycerides, numbness, degenerative disc disease and pain in joints and muscles from head to foot. It's all gone except for the disc but most of that pain is gone. No more med! I can do turn, twist, do things and go places that I haven't gone in years. I have as much energy as I did when I was 30. I'd forgotten what a joy life can be and now I have it back. Hang in there -- and you will have it too. Best wishes.

Most seeds and nuts are good for you. Their calories can add up fast but added to lean meats and veggies and a little fruit they help balance out the diet. Good fats like olive oil and sunflower oil are good for your brain as well as your heart. They can help control appetite. They usually have very complex carbs which break down slowly in the system so do not raise glycemic levels and frequently have some Protein in them as well.

They work great as a between meals snack or as a small meal.

Cheri

:unsure::thumbup::bored:

Thanks.... I love cashews but that doctor stressed sunflower. I think that when I GO shopping will make some sunflower nut butter....... you can add cocoa powder and stevia or ahava nector.....:blink:

Thanks Desdemona for the words of encouragement. Got my fill toda (3 cc) and I am doing fine. The doctor is very pleased. I plan to stay exercising on Monday. I am very glad I did this for myself. Thanks again:thumbup:

It looks like people are getting back on track and starting to lose again. Glad to see I wasn't the only one struggling. I finally got another fill last weekend and what a difference it made. I actually get full, can't eat too much and am able to stick to my plan. I just need to continue for quite a while longer. I've never actually had enough restriction to understand how it works, well my my...it does work....I definitely have restriction and it's doing what it's supposed to. Now it is totally up to me to put the right food in my mouth.

I too am glad I did this...I've never lost 40 pounds in one dieting session ever. Yeehaww...

It looks like people are getting back on track and starting to lose again. Glad to see I wasn't the only one struggling. I finally got another fill last weekend and what a difference it made. I actually get full, can't eat too much and am able to stick to my plan. I just need to continue for quite a while longer. I've never actually had enough restriction to understand how it works, well my my...it does work....I definitely have restriction and it's doing what it's supposed to. Now it is totally up to me to put the right food in my mouth.

I too am glad I did this...I've never lost 40 pounds in one dieting session ever. Yeehaww...

Yep you gotta maintain your tool for it to work and you gotta eat the healthy foods too - It does work !!!

You gotta continue for the rest of your life :0) not just a while longer ;o) this is a lifetime lifestyle change !!!

Woke up this morning, got on the scale, got off the scale, jostled it, got on again and woke up for real. Lost 3 lbs and hit goal! Woot! Now for the lifetime part-maintenance. Scares me more than losing the weight.

But for now, hip hip hooray!:):thumbup: