Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Charlene and Cherielynne-thanks to you both....it was great getting a quick reply to make me feel welcome. I'm back and will stay on the boards as much as possible. I'm trying not starve or make myself nuts with my food journal- I have a habit of becoming obsessive with it and then throwing in the towel because it takes too much time. I'm going back to some of my old South Beach diet recipes. I did well on it but as we all know....it didn't stick. But the basic foods were good and healthy. This time I don't want the word DIET to creep in and make me crazy (crazier- LOL).

Thanks for your encouragement!

I am struggling also...last night my stupid husband brought home rugalach

also...i am so busy that i forget to drink the Water which is the only key to my weight loss and i excercise once a day but need more

i need to lose 20 lbs in 20 days

watch the biggest loser

last night i put my red by the tv so when i watch the news i can exercise

for inspiration ... i had 10 mins to myself and shopped online for clothes and then did not order

My friends husband just called me today to tell me his bad news,,,,,,,,,,omg...I will not gain another pound... he has serious nhealth condition due to his heavy weight...she did not want to tell me...she is crying...and crying

be grateful for your current loss and try to stay with positive folks...we have a great ww spot on this site

and join hungrygirl dot com..it is for free

if funds are available...there is a current biggest loser page on nbc and they have a three month special for 40 dollars

why not start a biggest loser page here and i will join.... it is tax season and I am overwelmed... so I can not be on the site that much..bbut wiliing to help

Maintenance scares me. I'm getting a fill to help me maintain. I'm to the point where I just need a tweak. But I can eat too much, especially at night. I'm working on my issues. I don't journal my food, being ADHD makes me go crazy trying to keep track of details, it just makes me want to eat, so I journal my food-related issues on lapbandtalk and on my blog. I frequently focus on my ADHD, my codependancy, my arthritis related pain, etc.

I also work on my mental state by focusing on the good things in my life. Philippians 4:8 says, Finally brothers(and sisters), whatever is true, , whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Change your thoughts, change your brain, change your life.

I'm working on creating that paradigm shift inside my brain to help turn off the emotional cravings for food.

I rely on God to fill the spiritual hunger, particularly through staying involved in my church, especially the music (praise) ministry, which for me is a whole body, mind, and spirit experience.

The exercise I'm getting and the high Protein diet are actually very good for the ADHD. And I'm an Alanon veteran who knows the value of letting go and letting God deal with the dysfunctional people in my life. I still work the 12 steps when it comes to wanting to control people and places and things. That helps.

I'm practicing contentment, being content in all my circumstances, good and bad, knowing that I can do all things through him who strengthens me. That's from Phillipians 4: 11-14.

I'm also practicing balance, which is part of contentment. I don't want to get addicted to continued weight loss, or to exercise, or to work, or to church, or to people, or to anything. Maintaining balance helps me maintain balance in my food.

I try to do what I'm good at and put my focus there instead of on trying to be good at things I'll never be good at. As an ADHD person, I have others who keep me organized. I try not to let anyone guilt me into doing things I'm not good at or that will knock me out of balance.

What I do well, I make myself better at. What I'm good at is teaching. What I'm good at is building relationships with children that make them want to learn. I help them experience success and then make that snowball. I observe their learning style and find the blocks as well as the strengths and then I experiment with methods and materials that I think might help until I find what does.

I pour all my energy and love into what is an incredibly rewarding job, working with academically at-risk students from one of the communities with the highest rates of murder in the city of Chicago.

For relaxation and fun, I play with and take care of my grandchildren who always make me laugh.

These things helped me lose the weight. They should help me maintain.

Cheri

PS I like this post so much I'm going to put it in my blog, ifyourstomachoffendsyoutieitoff.

I am struggling also...last night my stupid husband brought home rugalach

also...i am so busy that i forget to drink the Water which is the only key to my weight loss and i excercise once a day but need more

i need to lose 20 lbs in 20 days

watch the biggest loser

last night i put my red by the tv so when i watch the news i can exercise

for inspiration ... i had 10 mins to myself and shopped online for clothes and then did not order

My friends husband just called me today to tell me his bad news,,,,,,,,,,omg...I will not gain another pound... he has serious nhealth condition due to his heavy weight...she did not want to tell me...she is crying...and crying

be grateful for your current loss and try to stay with positive folks...we have a great ww spot on this site

and join hungrygirl dot com..it is for free

if funds are available...there is a current biggest loser page on nbc and they have a three month special for 40 dollars

why not start a biggest loser page here and i will join.... it is tax season and I am overwelmed... so I can not be on the site that much..bbut wiliing to help

I don't know about more blogs and websites. I get overwhelmed, but it's a great idea. Now that I unloaded on everyone, I'm going to try to get back to upbeat- mojo coming back and I'm not going to squash it in a bad mood.

I'm sitting here late with my 25 calorie hot chocolate feeling better now. food was okay....could and will get better but no sugar, no junk carbs. Ate a little more than I'd have liked, but still all good choices so that's a start and I forced myself off the bed and onto the Recum. bike while watching TV. Did 20 minutes so I feel good about that too. It doesn't take much. I was good so don't you think the scale shoudl show a 20 pound drop tomorrow AM????LOL. Thanks to all for helping me get a better day today!

Hi folks! Can i ask if anyone is having trouble with acid reflux. My initial problem with reflux completely disappeared when i got the band but it has reappeared. I havent had a fill for about 6 months and I feel I am at a good restriction, not much problem with food getting stuck and I am finally losing again after a 6 month hiatus. 8lbs down since October. I am afraid to go back in for advice because they will just want to take Fluid out and I don't believe that will solve the problem. and here is the real wrinkle - I reeceive my after from True Results in Austin and there is no doctor on staff, the doctors are all in Dallas so I ever see is a nurse. The reflux at night scares me that I am damaging my esophagus -- since my father-in-law passed away a few years from esophageal cancer it makes me neurotic.

Any ideas? thanks

I don't have a huge problem with it. But my daughter had quite a bit of problem with it when she was tighter. Had some taken out and hasn't really had a problem and then within the past month it's reared it's ugly head again. But hers is a problem only at night. She has to be really careful about not eating anything for at least 3 hours before she goes to bed. Now, when she visited recently I gave her my prescription for Zantac...(I know I know about not sharing prescriptions)...and she's been taking one at nighttime and a teaspoon of Maalox Advanced and that seems to allow her to sleep. She's very close to goal and when her band is looser she doesn't have a problem with it at all. She just felt it was strange that all of a sudden it started again.

good luck

trisha

II was good so don't you think the scale shoudl show a 20 pound drop tomorrow AM????LOL. Thanks to all for helping me get a better day today!

OMG ROTFLMAO !!!! I agree 100% Yep good for 1 day and the scales should show a 20 lbs loss. Really really get that one - lol

Hi folks! Can i ask if anyone is having trouble with acid reflux. My initial problem with reflux completely disappeared when i got the band but it has reappeared. I havent had a fill for about 6 months and I feel I am at a good restriction, not much problem with food getting stuck and I am finally losing again after a 6 month hiatus. 8lbs down since October. I am afraid to go back in for advice because they will just want to take Fluid out and I don't believe that will solve the problem. and here is the real wrinkle - I reeceive my after from True Results in Austin and there is no doctor on staff, the doctors are all in Dallas so I ever see is a nurse. The reflux at night scares me that I am damaging my esophagus -- since my father-in-law passed away a few years from esophageal cancer it makes me neurotic.

Any ideas? thanks

Gwen - are you eating before you go to sleep - my xdh had bad reflux and he had to eat dinner by 6 or he would be up during the nite --

If you don't think you are too tight then quit eating early and chew a pecid before bed..

But if you are really worried - the you need to see your doc...

Hey! I am in the process of getting approved. Consult appt is Feb 2nd. I am sooo confused...tell me how you decided on the band vs gastric bypass. I know both the pros and cons and the doctor who spoke at the seminar said he prefers gastric bypass over the band. I went to the seminar with the intention of discussing the band. Have searched the internet over and over on both and all it is doing is making me more undecided and confused. Please help!!!

I was taking the meds twice a day for the acid reflux.My prescriptions the insurance stopped my coverage and over the counter was very expensive but did it.........then,,,,,,

my MIL was in the hospital and her kidney enzymes where dangerous level... and they took her off the Prilisac well....I decided that I WOULD TRY SOMETHING NEW

NOW>>>>>>>I take 2 ounces of Aloe Vera juice in the morning and just before bedtime........and it seems to help :biggrin:

Hi- First of all, congratulations on starting the process of weight loss surgery. This is a great site and you can get a tremendous amount of information and support here. I suggest that once you have a date you find the "monthly" support group here, as you'll get to go through the surgery with a group having the same experiences as you- it's great.

As to which type...there are lots of questions to answer, some which having to do with how much surgery you're interested in having; whether you want something that will change your organs or something that can be removed, etc. I think 2 key factors is amount one needs to lose (in general, gb folks lose more faster); and very important, what kind of eater you are. Sweet eaters have a lot of success with gb because you just cannot eat them...you get to ill. Volume eaters often are better off with the band because if you have bypass and build up volume again- the band can be stretched- it happens alot- and then you have trouble and weight gain. So, there's a lot to consider. For me, it would be important, above all, to have a doctor who believes in the procedure I need him to perform.....

Best of luck!

I'm not the acid reflux writer- but like others, I've had it - much worse in the past but it still happens time to time. I just sleep higher, and monitor what I'm eating the next day to figure out why I'm getting it again. It can take a day or two of work to get it to back down. sleeping higher really helps. And I agree with all- not eating too close to bedtime helps as well.

Any ideas? thanks

If you are having REFLUX at night - then you are TOO TIGHT... get a tiny de-fill... even a fraction of a cc will sometimes help.

ACID reflux is no laughing matter... it will cause esophogel errosion which then leads to cancer!!!

GET IT FIXED.... (((hugs)))

Well, day three is going well and I am pleased. The weekends are tough as I'm around without the structure of work, but I'm determined to get through the "sugar" withdrawal and move on. Again. I am happy about one thing.....I stopped it. I didn't just keep gaining. But I have work to do. I've lost a couple of pounds so far, and will re do my ticker this weekend .

Right now I'm depending on a lot of hot liquids- broth, diet hot choc and Decaf to get me through the urges, and I have them bad.

Hope everyone is doing well and see you all in a day or so.

gdf18--that's good. I'm on day 4 of being back on the wagon and I can feel the difference already. I'm particularly sensitive to carbs. If I get into more than a few of them a day --- it really starts cravings in me and I lose it. If I stay away from them then I don't feel either the head hunger or the belly hunger. The other thing that surprises me to no end is that when I keep the carbs low I find that my darn band seems to work better??! It just doesn't take much food to fill me up. I need more Snacks so that I eat very little 4 or 5 times a day but that still comes to far less food/calories than when I'm eating large meals with carbs. I know everyone is different and has a different feeling about how little is too little carbs -- but I'm just saying that this seems to work for me and it might be useful for someone else who feels stuck.

Gralda --I'm with Indigo. I really know what you mean about being worried about esophogel errosion and cancer. I knew 3 people who died of it too. It's a bad way to go (not that there's a good way but at least there are probably less scary ways). I want to reach goal but not at the cost of doing serious injury to my esophagus. I also think that caffeine, smoking, or using aspirin, Ativan, or certain medications that can irritate the little stomach lining can cause it. If you aren't using any of that ----are you under a lot of stress? The MD could give you a prescription. But if none of that works -- please do whatever is needed (including letting fill out) if that's what it takes to make you safe.

Edited by Desdemona

You know, I forgot about it but I had to have a little taken out because I was getting reflux and I've been on protonix for years- so it had been rare or never anymore. How did I forget that- it was about 6 months ago. The surgeon said to too tight causes too much back up- and you know, I didn't lose any more weight when I was that tight. I'm finding a do better a little looser so that I can have a broader choice of foods.

I also feel much better on protein....but tell that to that little carb devil sitting on my left shoulder! Right now I'm doing a good balance. And I'm happy to say, I've been on the bicycle and then today, I walked (we go to synagogue on Saturdays and it's a .8 mile each way.

It's not doing this for a few days that is the challenge...it's doing it as a habit. That's the trick.