Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I would like to join your group. I just turned 50 last week. I was banded in May and love it. I have been on a plateau for several weeks now, but will have my 2nd fill on Monday and looking forward to it. GB

I would like to join your group. I just turned 50 last week. I was banded in May and love it. I have been on a plateau for several weeks now, but will have my 2nd fill on Monday and looking forward to it. GB

Do not worry about the plateau, they are not uncommon and even if you gain a little wait.

I got a fill last week after one year and am now back to where I was 3 months ago.

Hi Tulsarealtorgb,

Sounds like you are doing good :blushing:

I'm having trouble getting my first fill:crying:

Who's your doctor?

Good Journey

Maggie

Sorry I've been missing for so long. My gall bladder gave a few little warning twinges and then got really bad. On a Friday evening, of course! It's a long story, but eventually I did have surgery. The laparoscopic surgery was converted to an open surgery because the gall bladder had apparently attached itself to other things. Even after a week plus on antibiotics, it came out red and angry. Then when I got home, I got a case of cellulitis up and down my right side. Talk about painful! Every time I moved, it felt like boiling Water was being poured on me. So I stayed immobile a lot. But the story doesn't end there. I got the staples out of my 10" incision, and steri strips on. When the steri strips finally came off, I rolled over in bed and felt that the sheets were wet. The incision split open. I got a nice ride in an ambulance at 5:30 AM. So I have been on a WoundVAC for several weeks to promote healing. It's much better, and I will be transitioning off of it shortly. The doctor at the wound clinic said I can transition to the wet-to-dry dressing any time. I was going to wait a few days, but that damn machine is driving me crazy. I nearly threw it out the window tonight. Since they do want it back intact, I think I'll switch to the other dressing. (rolling eyes)

Understandably, I haven't been on the computer much for nearly six weeks.

This year has been a real bitch. Maybe next year I'll actually be able to concentrate on weight loss. I hope.

Oh hugs gf - I saw on FB you said something about the wound vac - how awful - I had my gall bladder out 34 yrs ago - that's when they still cut you open - have a nice long scar on my right side - but was lucky no infection - hell I was 30 then and I was off work 3 weeks - it's a hard surgery to recover from especially when they cut you open

Hugs & prayers that it gets better soon...

Welcome, Tulsa! We lived in OKC/Edmond for over 15 years. Plateaus happen. It'll pass. But you probably do need a fill since you've only had one.

Count me in to the half-century group! I turned 50 in April, five days after banding.

Welcome, my second fill has been very interesting. I am definitely restricted but it's weird about what goes down easily and what gets stuck. It is really teaching me to chew slowly and eat slowly and small bites. I got the fill in September and it's just been last week since it's been giving me BIG signals to slow down. Good luck with your fill...give it time, it will work.

Welcome Band Groupie and congrats on the birthday!! You are doing great with your weight loss.

Edited by ocotillo

Hi. I'm 57. Got banded June 18. So far 51 lbs. Hope to make it 70 by Dec. 30, my B-day. I'm so glad to see so many new posts. I've been documenting my journey as well as dealing with all the underlying issues of food addiction in my blog. Don't have much time to post on it frequently right now but if you go back to the beginning you may find it very helpful.

IF YOUR STOMACH OFFENDS YOU, TIE IT OFF

I agree with everybody else. Plateaus will happen..but they ARE annoying. Make sure that you aren't cutting your Protein down too much though! Sometimes people think they hit a plateau and they should cut down their calories even more...DON'T. Just make sure they are good calories. I drink Myogenix Myolean every single morning (I like chocolate Peanut Butter) and have for the last 1 1/2 years. I never start the day without it. I started it after my hair started falling out. Solved that problem right away so I'm sold on it. So, hang in there, the plateaus will pass but remember you don't really need a fill unless you are eating too much. The fill is NOT going to make you lose weight. Some people (like my friend) think it does, it doesn't. All it does is help you control your QUANTITY. So, if you are getting a fill just because you are plateauing it's not going to help..UNLESS you are eating too much. But, don't cut back on your proteins!!! Denise

Hi Everyone,

I just found this thread and am so happy to find others out there in my same boat.

I need advice. I was just banded on 10/15/09. I'm still on the liquids until I graduate to mushies on thursday. For the first week the scale was moving....and now...for the past 4 days, it's stopped...and not only stopped, but starting to creep up and I don't know why? I'm doing the same thing I was....BUT the big diff is that for the past 3 mornings, i'm taking metamucil in a glass in the morning, and some light plum juice (60 cals) in the evening to help with the Iron in the Protein Drink (if you catch what I mean). would this account for a 3 pound weight gain in 2 days???

So wanted to know if any of you out there had similar problems a week out of being banded. I know i'm doing things right...pureed liquids, 4 oz yogurt, pureed low fat Soups, sf popsicles, v8 and apple juice...and tons of Water.< /p>

any advice you might have for me would be really appreciated.

Count your calories, liquids can add up to BIG calories. My friend, Patty was also taking a lot of juices and all. She wasn't losing. Turns out she was taking in a LOT of calories in all those juices. If you need liquids, use Crystal Lite or sugar free Kool-ade, don't do juices for liquid purposes only. Nutrition is a different matter, but quite frankly a lot of juices are not that healthy anyway. Some of them (like lots of apple juices) are just calories. So, my suggestion..count the calories you are taking in a day....D.

Hi Everyone,

I just found this thread and am so happy to find others out there in my same boat.

I need advice. I was just banded on 10/15/09. I'm still on the liquids until I graduate to mushies on thursday. For the first week the scale was moving....and now...for the past 4 days, it's stopped...and not only stopped, but starting to creep up and I don't know why? I'm doing the same thing I was....BUT the big diff is that for the past 3 mornings, i'm taking metamucil in a glass in the morning, and some light plum juice (60 cals) in the evening to help with the Iron in the Protein drink (if you catch what I mean). would this account for a 3 pound weight gain in 2 days???

So wanted to know if any of you out there had similar problems a week out of being banded. I know i'm doing things right...pureed liquids, 4 oz yogurt, pureed low fat Soups, sf popsicles, v8 and apple juice...and tons of Water.

PS..if you are having a problem with irregularity, there is a new product called ALIGN that works wonderfully. Just break it up when you take it. D.

Hi Everyone,

I need advice. I was just banded on 10/15/09. I'm still on the liquids until I graduate to mushies on thursday. For the first week the scale was moving....and now...for the past 4 days, it's stopped...and not only stopped, but starting to creep up and I don't know why? I'm doing the same thing I was....BUT the big diff is that for the past 3 mornings, i'm taking metamucil in a glass in the morning, and some light plum juice (60 cals) in the evening to help with the Iron in the Protein drink (if you catch what I mean). would this account for a 3 pound weight gain in 2 days???

So wanted to know if any of you out there had similar problems a week out of being banded. I know i'm doing things right...pureed liquids, 4 oz yogurt, pureed low fat Soups, sf popsicles, v8 and apple juice...and tons of Water.

Count your calories, liquids can add up to BIG calories. My friend, Patty was also taking a lot of juices and all. She wasn't losing. Turns out she was taking in a LOT of calories in all those juices. If you need liquids, use Crystal Lite or sugar free Kool-ade, don't do juices for liquid purposes only. Nutrition is a different matter, but quite frankly a lot of juices are not that healthy anyway. Some of them (like lots of apple juices) are just calories. So, my suggestion..count the calories you are taking in a day....D.

DeepinFl: Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm journaling everything today (and continuing on) to get a handle on this. I don't think it's the juices thing. I have a 4 oz juice box of apple juice that's 60 cals...and then 60 cals of sunsweet plumsmart light. Other than that, it's Water and herbal tea. The Soups are pureed low fat veggie soups, Protein shakes (2) that are 160 cals/30 gms Protein and 1 carb each.....and then 4 oz of light and fit which I don't have all the time. And the sf popsicles. That's pretty much it. I've never been a juice person....just doing it for the irregularity (and because it was suggested on the post -op list. But thanks for the tip of ALIGN. I'll have to check it out. Most importantly though, you're right. I really do need to count the cals and document it...at least so I can have something to show the doc when I go next week.

Thank you again!

One thing to keep in ind is that the Metamucil is absorbing the liquids and holding them in your gut. This is what it is supposed to do! And since a pint is a pound, every pint of Water in your gut adds a pound to the scale while in transit. Don't let the scale make you crazy. Also keep in mind the possible sodium content of Soups or other liquids like V8. Everyone's body is different, but if you are sensitive to sodium, it doesn't take much to make you retain a pound or two of Water for that reason. And then there is constipation...until it hits the toilet, it is part of your weight on the scale.

Get used to weight fluctuations and learn what your "normal" is. It can be three pounds up or down from a central number on any given day. The key is seeing that the range is dropping over time.

Good luck and keep up the great work.