Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hello to all my 50's friends and welcome to all the new friends. May, you'll do fine. Just keep coming to this site and reading and posting. I found this to be great support. I've lost 60 lbs over the past year. Not losing for the past few months. Hope to get started again.

Katy: So good to hear from you! I don't know why but I think of you often and whisper a prayer for you. I am sorry to hear of your issues with your weight, but your life is worth the small gain. I'll be praying for you next thursday as you have your shoulder operated on. Please try and let us know how you're doing after the surgery. Remember the last time, we were searching all over for you? My email address is: susanpowell1953@yahoo.com please send me a personal email with your address so i can keep in touch with you. God's Blessings

I need help. I have been struggling for the past two months. No weightloss, despite doing what I should. I am ready to get a complete unfill and just give up. It is so frustrating to go thru the surgery and not get the results you hope and pray for. I knew mine would be slow, because I have a permanent disability with a spinal fusion and both total knee replacements. I cannot do much exercise to help it along. But, now I am just ready to give up and go back to my old life, where my DH didn't complain about my NOT eating. Please pray for me. I know you all understand what I am going thru and I can speak my true feelings. I am at a crossroads...who knows where I will end up. My surgeon is not a nice man, and of no help to me whatsoever. Fills no sooner than 2 months apart. I have had 3 fills in 8 months. What's a girl to do?

I need help. I have been struggling for the past two months. No weightloss, despite doing what I should. I am ready to get a complete unfill and just give up. It is so frustrating to go thru the surgery and not get the results you hope and pray for. I knew mine would be slow, because I have a permanent disability with a spinal fusion and both total knee replacements. I cannot do much exercise to help it along. But, now I am just ready to give up and go back to my old life, where my DH didn't complain about my NOT eating. Please pray for me. I know you all understand what I am going thru and I can speak my true feelings. I am at a crossroads...who knows where I will end up. My surgeon is not a nice man, and of no help to me whatsoever. Fills no sooner than 2 months apart. I have had 3 fills in 8 months. What's a girl to do?

dear glam are you having problems with reflux or pain? Because your stats show you have been losing. (or am I reading it wrong 150 pds is great! as a weight and it does really slow down as you get close to goal. (Depending what goal is) I am 51 and just had a visit for a fill last week and I really debated wether to have it (I ended up not having another) as I am really happy at what I am now even though its 15 kilos from goal as I want to learn to live with this thing and adjust to it as I hope it will be OK for me for at least 10 years. Also at my age I am never going to be a model or the like and my present weight lets me buy nice clothes, I can go anywhere and sit anywhere and not be stared at I think I just look like an average person.. and thats fine with me. I havent done much excercise apart from normal housework, looking after my sick mother, looking after kids husband and walking the dogs. I think we all need time just to chill and not be too hard on ourselves ( I guess thats really hard as we have had years of it from ourselves and others) I think too given your physical problems you really do need to be gentle with yourself.

Pls forgive all of this if I ave unintentionally misread your post I just want to wish you the best.

Hey Glammaw, I can't understand how much you have lost or not lost at all? Regardless, even if you have stayed the same, isn't 250's better than 350's??? I was 373 at my start wt. and I can tell you for sure the 200's beat heck out of the 300's. I don't mean to seem unsympethetic but I consider getting all the Fluid taken out and going back to old life sort of a temper tantrum. I don't want to be mean but what am I missing here?

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Corliss

Hey Glammaw, I can't understand how much you have lost or not lost at all? Regardless, even if you have stayed the same, isn't 250's better than 350's??? I was 373 at my start wt. and I can tell you for sure the 200's beat heck out of the 300's. I don't mean to seem unsympathetic but I consider getting all the Fluid taken out and going back to old life sort of a temper tantrum. I don't want to be mean but what am I missing here? Hope to hear back from you soon. Corliss

Well, said, Corliss.

Last time I went in for a fill....Feb., I got kind of chewed out because I'd only lost 15 lb in 6 mos. I was mad. 15 lb is 15 lb GONE! My weight loss has been very slow this past year, but it's still going down and not up and that's what counts! I often stay at the same weight for WEEKS and then drop a pound or two or maybe four or five and then level off again. I've learned to be content with that and not get discouraged. I'm pretty restricted when it comes to exercise because I need both knees replaced. I'm getting one done in two weeks and then hopefully I can step up the exercise. But we do have to hang in there even when the going gets slow because WE ARE WORTH IT! I'm going in for my two year follow up this week. I'll let you know how that goes!

I had right knee replacement a little over a year ago,(with success) and wish i would have had both done at once, now don't want to go have the other done.

Just a thought

I had right knee replacement a little over a year ago,(with success) and wish i would have had both done at once, now don't want to go have the other done.

Just a thought

That's what I'm afraid of!

Wish my doc would do both at once!

The Gal in the bed next to me had both hers done at once so ther are Docs that will do it!

It is a tough surgery, but now the knee is good.

I am hoping to get the rest of the weight off , wishful thinking that I won't have to get the other knee done. I am going to look into the injections that are supposed to replace the bad cartlidge(sp?) Have you heard anything about these?

The Gal in the bed next to me had both hers done at once so ther are Docs that will do it!

It is a tough surgery, but now the knee is good.

I am hoping to get the rest of the weight off , wishful thinking that I won't have to get the other knee done. I am going to look into the injections that are supposed to replace the bad cartlidge(sp?) Have you heard anything about these?

I had synvisc injections in both knees for a year or two. They just delayed the inevitable. I went to a Dr. who I knew would do both knees at once. He did my dad's, too. Sometimes you're limited from choice by insurance as to Dr.s but its worth investigating. I knew my back would be completely blown out if I did the knees separately. I did great. My knees are one of the few joints that work the way they're supposed to. My Dr. was Dr. Milt Smit of Kankakee. He is part of OAK Asociates. Orthopedic Associates of Kankakee? This is in Illinois. He also patented improvements on the knee that allow a lot more bendability in the knee. The mayo Clinic actually has recommended him.

A girl needs to take care of herself. I suggest you read the book Codependent No More by Melodie Beattie or cruise the internet for articles and support on codependency. Your food issues as well as your relationship issues and ability to stand up to a surgeon or change Drs. will all improve when you learn to take care of yourself. Ask your DH if he wants you to die, or if he wants you totally dependent on him because of your disabilities. Ask yourself if you love yourself enough to do what you have to do to remove food as a barrier between yourself and God. Ask yourself if you really believe that God loves you so much that he wants the best for you.

When I went through a really terrible time in my life I used to say to myself, "I am somebody, I am worthwhile, I am somebody, I am God's child."

Believe it and receive it.

dear glam are you having problems with reflux or pain? Because your stats show you have been losing. (or am I reading it wrong 150 pds is great! as a weight and it does really slow down as you get close to goal. (Depending what goal is) I am 51 and just had a visit for a fill last week and I really debated wether to have it (I ended up not having another) as I am really happy at what I am now even though its 15 kilos from goal as I want to learn to live with this thing and adjust to it as I hope it will be OK for me for at least 10 years. Also at my age I am never going to be a model or the like and my present weight lets me buy nice clothes, I can go anywhere and sit anywhere and not be stared at I think I just look like an average person.. and thats fine with me. I havent done much excercise apart from normal housework, looking after my sick mother, looking after kids husband and walking the dogs. I think we all need time just to chill and not be too hard on ourselves ( I guess thats really hard as we have had years of it from ourselves and others) I think too given your physical problems you really do need to be gentle with yourself.

Pls forgive all of this if I ave unintentionally misread your post I just want to wish you the best.

I have lost 41 pounds and am at 206, not 150. I am not having reflux or pain, just frustration. I want to lose so badly and I can't seem to get this weight off. I am happy with what I have lost, but I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions?

I have lost 41 pounds and am at 206, not 150. I am not having reflux or pain, just frustration. I want to lose so badly and I can't seem to get this weight off. I am happy with what I have lost, but I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions?

This is what I did. It might or might not work for you. I had stopped losing while waiting for my first fill (which will be Tues.) I went back to a very high Protein almost no carb diet. In 3 days I lost 3 lbs. I could actually feel my band again. High, denser Proteins (solid meats) have a much harder time getting through the band. You feel full longer. The fewer carbs the less you store as fat. It can kick start your weight loss again. When you do add carbs make sure they are complex carbs with protein in them. Go with whole grain. Only tiny amounts of things like potatoes and bread, white rice, etc. This works but gets boring. If you do the high protein to lose a few lbs. then do maintenance variety then high protein, you may be able to lose weight while waiting for your next fill.

A lot of people can't get a lot of exercise. About all I can do is walk. I don't go very fast. I have major spine problems and I have double knee replacements. My knees work much better than they used to.

I can do a little swimming and Water walking. I have to be very careful of my neck. I also sit on a little bench to garden or I sit or lay in the grass to weed. Getting up is the worst cause I have to roll onto my knees, and you know kneeling is very uncomfortable with fake knees.

I, too, am 206 lbs. I've lost 31 lbs. I had to talk to my husband about what I needed from him. I was prepared to eat separately from him and to no longer be around him when he was snacking. He chose to give up snacking around me because he didn't want to spend his evenings alone.

You can do this. Its not for wimps but it is doable. You can e-mail me at cherifl@comcast.net.

Well, said, Corliss.

Last time I went in for a fill....Feb., I got kind of chewed out because I'd only lost 15 lb in 6 mos. I was mad. 15 lb is 15 lb GONE! My weight loss has been very slow this past year, but it's still going down and not up and that's what counts! I often stay at the same weight for WEEKS and then drop a pound or two or maybe four or five and then level off again. I've learned to be content with that and not get discouraged. I'm pretty restricted when it comes to exercise because I need both knees replaced. I'm getting one done in two weeks and then hopefully I can step up the exercise. But we do have to hang in there even when the going gets slow because WE ARE WORTH IT! I'm going in for my two year follow up this week. I'll let you know how that goes!

Hi Phyllser,

You have lost sooo much weight and you look so healthy in your new photo, good on you.

Thought I'd pop in to see how everyone is doing. I've put on 7 kilos = 15.4lbs since the band was removed in March which is sad but was also expected. I go up a couple then down a couple all the time. Trying hard to stay positive though.

Keep up the good work.

katydid.

Hi Phyllser,

You have lost sooo much weight and you look so healthy in your new photo, good on you.

Thought I'd pop in to see how everyone is doing. I've put on 7 kilos = 15.4lbs since the band was removed in March which is sad but was also expected. I go up a couple then down a couple all the time. Trying hard to stay positive though. Keep up the good work. katydid.

Hi, Katy! So good to hear from you again. Hang in there! You've been through a LOT!

Thanks for the kudos! Not bad for an OLD chick, huh! Weight loss goes very slow for me because of exercise restrictions, but it's coming off! Knee surgery in two weeks will help as mobility increases! We miss you!

Another suggestion.... google "Five Day Pouch Test". It's a great way to get a jump start when you get stalled!