Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 Steps of Overeaters Anonymous

H i Friends,

my name is Heidi and I was banded in Mexico 10/16/09.

I have a food addiction, and I need support, learning to channel my emotional eating into a more productive way of relieving stress.

So far the healing process has gone well, but I have had a heap of stress lately and I feel this intense drive to eat, eat, eat.

ugh. :drool:

H i Friends,

my name is Heidi and I was banded in Mexico 10/16/09.

I have a food addiction, and I need support, learning to channel my emotional eating into a more productive way of relieving stress.

So far the healing process has gone well, but I have had a heap of stress lately and I feel this intense drive to eat, eat, eat.

ugh. :drool:

I ind that when I wake up every day and sau the serenity prayer I do much better and am able to stik to healthy clean NON sugar #oods...

Sorry my FFF key dosn't work sometimes:biggrin:

Hi there, well I'm here again tonight... sorry about my typos earlier I was on a laptop that is wonky.

I am home now, had my 3 meals for today and have 1 planned snack for later.

Even though there isn't anyone else here tonight... I'll post some stuff and you can all read (or not) at your leasure..

We can even discuss topics of the "day" if you like... I'll start....

A little OA book called "FOR TODAY" I've had for many years, but I put it aside when I think I can handle this food addiction BY MYSELF.... ha. dosn't that last statement sound like a willfull child? hummmmm????

here goes. page 309 Nov 4th

He is not poor that hath not much, but he that craves much. Thomas Fuller

" You can't be too rich or too thin." I've said this in jest, but how far is it, really, from what I believe? WHy do I always want more? More things, more gadgets, more clothes, more money, more weight loss.

The truth is I have what I need. I am grateful for my abstinence and the weight loss that goes with it. Having turned my will and my life over to GOD as I undertand GOD, I no longer need to agonize over what I eat and how much I weigh. In this, as in every area of my life, GOD is doing for me what I cannot do for myself.

FOR TODAY: I accept with gratitude the many blessings that are mine thanks to the OA program.

so what do you think about the statement?

I know for me I do always want MORE... I want more jewellry (Xmas gifts:smile2:) I want a Tummy Tuck when I get the rest of my weight off

The truth is I have what I need.... yes ! I have my health, I have my lapband which has helped me to not only lose some deadly weight, but has really helped me keep it off... Its a tool, much like literature, meetings, phone calls etc...

I have a wonderful husband who I know loves me and he dosn't need to give me jewellry to show it...

I have enough food to live, I have enough for tomorrow. I have a warm and comfortable home...

What do YOU need that you do not have????:drool:

I love this idea!!! I am currently have great success with my band! I am almost 18 months post op and I have lost 150 pounds!! food is still a struggle and prob always will be!!! Does this program work like AA and have sponsors and such? I have mastered the lap band aspect of this whole journey, but I still feel like I am a food addict even tho I dont eat like I once use to!! I guess that just doesnt go away just because you lose the weight! I have always considered myself a "spiritual" person, but not always religous! I am going to have to do some more research on this, but I would welcome any thoughts, advice and knowledge on this! Thanks!!! : ) Much love and success to everyone!!!

Thanks!

Chris

HEY CHRIS,

OA IS AN INCREDIBLE PROGRAM. IT FOLLOWS THE BIG BOOK OF AA AND FOLLOWS THE SAME PREMISE TO OBSTAIN FROM THE THINGS THAT CREATE THE SAME PHYSICAL CRAVING AND MENTAL OBSESSION TO US AS ALCHOHOL DOES TO THE ALCHOHOLIC. IT IS A STRINGENT PROGRAM BUT IT IS BASED ON SAVING LIVES, NOT CONVENIENCE. THE COMBINATION OF OA AND MY BAND HAVE BEEN A WINNING COMBINATION AFTER A LIFE LONG STRUGGLE WITH WEIGHT. IF THERE IS ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP OR ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE LET ME KNOW! bEST OF LUCK, SHEILA

The basic principles of OA are like AA and include the 12 step approach. I prefer the OA's that stick to the steps and principles and that don't add a lot of other restrictive rules. They work much better for me. You have to find what's right for you. And at all meetings and with everything posted here and elsewhere, take what you like and what works for you, and leave the rest.

Cheri

I am 6 weeks with the band now and it has changed alot for me.. I have been in OA for about 2 years now, up tiill I got the band i felt like it was helping some what.. But know I feel I do not belong.. Has anyone felt that way?

Edited by Tweety39

I am 6 weeks with the band now and it has changed alot for me.. I have been in OA for about 2 years now, up tiill I got the band i felt like it was helping some what.. But know I feel I do not belong.. Has anyone felt that way?

i DONT think you should worry about being bnded and attending OA... after all you will always be a food addict... the band dosn`t change that.... it is a tool that will make is easier to adhere to abstinance but lets face it you will still have HEAD issues to deal with from time to time...

They didn`t put the band around your head sweetie

Good luck

Thank you !

I have been in OA for 9 months now and have finally found a place where I really belong and don't feel total anxiety about going like I did when I was in WW or other formal organizations. I have to say that I have done a lot of emotional work but not as much of the physical work as I know I need to do. No excuses, I just chose food over "the next right thing" over the last 9 months at certain times. It is not something I am proud of but my addiction, my "high" medicated me. The down side is that the scale doesn't reflect the amount of mental work I have done these past several months but the upside is that I am now using my tools more and more each day to make better choices. It is a process and for every set back, I have a success too.

Right now I am having a problem where I can't lose any weight otherwise I won't meet the BMI criteria for insurance to pay for this surgery. I have to maintain where I am for at least a month or two which, for me, is a real challenge. I plan on keep going to my meetings, talk to my sponsor, write down my foods, and pray for peace.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

Thanks, Katie

I had to lose some weight and then maintain. It doesn't have to be a lot of weight. I went high Protein low carb which is what I did with the band also. Most docs recommend that as it works best with the band.

Think about your goal of getting the band. Think about the improved health. Grit your teeth and do it. It'll be worth it. I've taken off 75 lbs altogether and kept it off. 15 to 20 lbs came off before the band with the insurance requirements and with the pre-band diet. My bp, sugar, and cholesterol are all normal now. I look 100% better. I feel much better also. I look good in my clothes. I can play with my grandchildren so much better.

Cheri

i have many issues with over eating, and i think it could be an addictive behaviour (i have other addictions but have now moved through them). is there some look at eating as an addiction without neccesarily using god or religion as a path?

I feel these answers may help others but are unhelpful to me.

thanks, Illi

In 12 step we refer to "A Power Greater Than Ourselves", or a HP Higher Power.

Some name this as God, god, a group,a religion, a particular spiritual path, a piece of literature,a person/mentor...whatever or whomever you believe to be greater than yourself and can help in overcoming the addiction, habit,behavior.It is an individual choice and some of the choices of HP can seem unusual,but genuine to the person who chooses.

At www.therecoverygroup.org you can join the weight loss surgery list group for OA participants who have had or or thinking of having weight loss surgery. We have 3 weekly online meetings dedicated to OA just for weight loss surgery patients. They are 9 am Thursdays EST Sat 12 noon EST and Sundays 5 pm EST. Please join us and join our list to get weekly emails of love and support. As an individual who has been in OA for years before being banded it is a joy to find a safe and loving support group. The online meetings can be logged into at http://www.starchat.net/chat/?chan=RecoverySF

Please join us- together we can do what we cannot do alone :biggrin:

I think thats the part that doesnt feel right for me "A Power Greater Than Ourselves". I really do want aid from likeminded individuals and support, but i dont think anything or anyone is greater than the other. I would like to own the issues in my life, and realise that many of them are habits formed out of tough years, but also that i as a person created them, and that only i as a person can change them. i dont think palming these issues off on some higher power is useful, nor im sure do any of the people that go to these things really ever able to get "someone else to do the work' kinda thing. i think it takes perserverance, will and determination, and a few very helpful supportive people....am i alone in this thinking?