Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I lost 1.4cc after my first fill....is this normal?

Hello everyone,

I had my surgery on Nov 8, 07 and received my first fill on Dec 6. I had 3.8cc put into an 10cc band. During the last month I never once experienced fullnest or restriction of any sort. It is now a month later and I went for my 2nd fill on Jan 3, 08 to find out that I lost 1.4cc from the first fill and they only put it back to 3.8 again.

Is this common to lose cc's in the beginning? Please give me some input.

Thanks

Dawn, feeling frustrated:help:

I can't tell you about "normal" but would suggest you talk with your surgeon about the loss. I only know that I went for my 2nd fill yesterday and hadn't lost any of the 1st one which was 6 weeks prior. I would call and at least see what they have to say about the Fluid loss in such a short period of time.

Hello Dawn and congrats on your banding, I have no idea if that is normal but you should mention it to the doc you could have a faulty port. Do not get frustrated you are heading down a new and exciting road, you have to keep your sights set on your goals sweetie it will get better I promise.

Cathy

yes, it is normal to lose a bit in the band. I had 3.5 put in my first fill and when I went back for another I only had 2.2 left in it. He added 1.5 so I only have 3.7cc now. If there is any air in your band some of the saline can evaporate.

No, it is my belief from research and talking with my surgeon that you should not expect to have any fill missing ever.

It should all be there and if it's not then you might have a leak. It cannot evaporate as a normal lap-band system is airtight so if fill is missing then you have a leak somewhere.

Your doctor didn't seem concerned and want to investigate this when he noticed that so much was missing?? To have lost 1.4 cc is a HUGE amount. I am not trying to sound overly dramatic but if I were you I would definately talk to him about this. Don't worry that you'll get sick or anything from leaking saline, it's just the point that the darn thing shouldn't be doing it and you deserve a perfect band/port!

I need to clarify that I did not see the Dr that day and the nurse was very rude and it was her last week at her job. She said I could have a leak and the other nurse thought that is was the amount to prime the port???

With this all said, I got out to my car and as I was driving away I phoned the Dr and spoke to the head lady and expressed my concern and how I felt I just received poor service from that nurse. (oh and did I mention.....she actually answered her cell phone for a personal phone call while she was preparing my injection with my on the table and the xray machine over me!!!) The nurse practioner made a new apt for me tomorrow to give me another fill....so maybe I will know more tomorrow!~

Thanks for all your input.

Dawn

Good...I hope your doc is able to help. That nurse sounds like a real winner. I'm glad she's gone! It just doesn't sound right to me because I've had my band for a year and a half and have never lost ANY fill. I really hope there's no leak. Please let us know what your doc says tomorrow and GOOD LUCK.

dawndannae,

I have had my doc answer a personal phone call while teaching interns how to give fills & THEN step out of the room and leave the 2 interns to administer the fill... all while they were asking each other questions as to where the port is and can the other one feel where it should be. Needless to say, I was very very angry! Of course I kindly told them to step back and walked into the docs office, while he was still on his cell phone and told him that it was unacceptable. He was very apologetic and i have not seen the interns since. I thought I was the only one something like this happened to.

That could be a new thread!! How many people has had a bad experience with a doc/nurse when they went to get a fill?

I lost some of the Fluid from my first and second fill. The doctor explained why this happens sometimes and that it was normal. I don't remember exactly what she said. I have since stopped losing Fluid from fills, so it appears that there is no leak involved.

If I were you I would try doing some searches on the forum. As I recall this issue has been discussed a few times. Other people have described loss of fluid from the band, especially at the beginning.

Losing fluid from your band could indicate a leak which would be bad. But I believe that there are other benign explanations, as in my case. You may have a problem with your band, but I would look into more before you conclude that you have a problem.

The exact same thing just happened to me. I had 3cc put in and 2 weeks later there was only 1cc left in my band. I've heard a few other explanations from this and other threads but I can't help but be terrified that I have a leak. It's nice to hear a few other people who had the same issue and didn't have a leak.

I have a 10cc band that had 3 cc's when I had it put in on 11/26. I went for my first fill today it only had 1.5 cc's. The Dr talked something about a 1.5 vacuum I had as well. At any rate, she said it was normal & she has done hundreds of surgerys so I trust her on that. She only added 1 cc - so I'm at 2.5 now.