Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant And Scared, Please Help!!!!!

Hello y'all

Ok so it's a new year and I just found out this afternoon that i'm pregnant. I think the 10 preg test that I took confirm it. Seeing as how it's friday both my OBGYN and my lapband doc office's were closed. I'm stressing out when I should be happy. I'm scared for 2 reason's. The first is that my first child who is now 2 yrs old was born 3 months early and was in the hospital for 4 months and almost didn't make it. I of course think this will happen again. Seeing as how my doc told me that pregnancy was next to impossible after my first child I never thought this would or could happen. The second reason i'm freaking out is bc of my band. I will be 1 yr post op on Jan 24th and have lost 90 lbs I've worked so hard to loose this weight and now I feel like i'm just going to gain it all back. I realize some people might see this as being very selfish but, this is a concern of mine. I've been "fat" all my life and DO NOT want to be fat ever again. I also wonder how many people out there have ben pregnant w/ the band and what their pregnancy was like. I'm looking for any advice I can get so please help. I hope to hear from some people who have been pregnant, know some one or are curretly expecting to help calm my nerves. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Hi Ryan,

I completely understand how you are feeling right now. My son is almost 6 weeks old and I experienced the same feelings you are right now: pissed off because all of the sacrifice you've done with your weightloss and now a baby to put it back on etc etc. Let me tell you that when I was about 3 months pregnant I went for 6 days without eating and realized that I was being selfish to my baby. I went and got completely unfilled (heaven by the way). My total weight gain throughout my pregnancy.... are you ready? 11 lbs! He weighed 9.2 of them! You will be surprised that you may not actaully gain alot of weight! You are so used to controlling what you eat that it is just second nature to not eat like it is your last meal again. I didn't crave anything like I did with my first child. I can tell you that even unfilled, the last month I experienced restriction in the morning as if I was filled. That was wierd! Don't stress it will all work out. Each pregnancy is different and you can't compare the two. Enjoy it while you can.

I immediately had my dr. cut my tubes! Good luck!

Karen

Ryanband-You will be fine. GO to the link that was given to you there are several of us pregnant. I had to be unfilled due to the first trimester I was so sick but it all workes out. I will get filled back up 6 weeks after the baby and the weight will roll off me. Please keep us informed on your pregnancy!

You will probably have a great pg this time with a FULL term baby, b/c of your great loss. Just eat healthy and cont to exercise moderately. You will gain a little weight but the nice thing is your band will be waiting for you and you have a priceless gift with that new baby. Congrats Jill

Aww, don't be scared!

I just had a baby Oct and I'm 2 yrs post op.

The pregnancy and labor went great. I had gotten a fill right before I found out I was pregnant, so I actually lost about 40lbs overall. But don't stress if you gain weight, or how much you do. Just like any woman, banded or not, it will take time to get the baby weight off, and you'll be back to your regular self, if not better. After the baby arrives, get your band filled back up, and you'll be back on track.

Try not to focus on the negatives. You are truely blessed. Good luck and congrats!!

Hi there,

I'm so glad you posted. I was banded on 10/4/07 and have lost ~27 lbs since pre-op. I found out last night that I am pregnant and I'm scared. I know we're supposed to wait a year. This is an exciting suprise, but I'd love to hear from everyone on their experience. Has anyone gotten pregnant only 3 months post-op?

Being pregnant doesn't mean you have to gain excessive amounts of weight. I know a bandster due February 7th and she has gained 19 lbs, which is just a few pounds shy of her target for someone who is overweight. Most of that 19 lbs is accounted for by the baby, the extra blood, Fluid, etc.

We are trying to get pregnant, but I'm nearly 2 years out. My surgeon would've killed me if I got pregnant 3 mos out, and pregnancy would have no longer been an issue. (We had to sign documents including one stating that we would use reasonable means of birth control for the first 12 months we were banded).

I can relate to many of the things you are going through.

My daughter, who just turned 3, was born prematurely (2 months) as well. I had been diagnosed with oligohydramnios (low amniotic fluid) during my 5 month sonogram. I was put on bedrest and had to have transfusions of saline to supplement my Fluid when I was really low. Before my daughter, I also experienced 2 miscarriages and thought I would have trouble sustaining a pregnancy at all.

I had my lap band surgery 18 months after my daughter was born and went from 238 lbs to 144 lbs in just over a year. I was 9 lbs from goal weight when I found out I was pregnant with baby #2 who is due in April.

I had mixed feelings about being pregnant at first. I worried whether or not I would have another high-risk pregnancy. I also worried about ending up right back where I started (pre-band).

I am just about 7 months pregnant now. To this point, all things have gone wonderfully. I think that starting this pregnancy over 70 lbs lighter has been a big help. Because my body was in better shape, I truly feel it has had a direct correlation with a healthier pregnancy. Because of my history, I do have monthly sonograms. All have been normal and baby is doing fine. I feel great too.

My band was loosened during the first tri-mester and the food just seemed to slide down like the old days. So far I have gained 8-9 lbs total (on track with my OB's recommendations) I will say that I have recently started having random days where it is difficult to keep all that I eat down. It has nothing to do with what or when I eat. I actually think it has to do with the position of the baby, because one minute I can eat as if I was never banded and the next minute I feel it in my throat after only a tiny bite of something.

I did speak to my OB and surgeon, and both feel that it is nothing to worry about unless I start to lose weight or experience it on a regular basis. As I progress in my pregnancy, I may get a total unfill just to be safe though.

Good luck to you, and don't worry. Even if you do gain weight, you have a great tool to help you lose it again!!!!!