Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Exercise - HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

Well if Stef is involved, so am I. I'm a stalker.

I'm totally going to go back to exercising! Been off it too long. Time to start going back full force, 5 days a week. I'm never going to see another 55 pounds off by my birthday in May if I don't start WORKING for it!

Happy New Year

<wink> Cool...Suzzzie is in, too!

Anyone else? I'd love to see everyone involved for the support and motivation for all.

Hey you know im always in!

Off to the Gym this morning to get in a 30min run and some bikeing and swimming hopefully.

i agree totally with JM about all the newbies there.

Stef....Yeah Baltimore is nice! Imi home this week and next and then off to Harrisburg Pa and Philidelphia ...

Check in later...

Well im back...2.5mile run..5mile bike....and 1/2 mile swim.

I looked in at the spin class still waaaaaaaaaay too scary looking.

O great the Cat is drinking my tea.

Im off work today and i still got up at 4am to go exercise and im seriously considering going back later....what the heck is wrong with me????????????

Well .... i didnt eat to good between Christmas and New years :/! Way too much candy...imdetoxing from candy today. Thankfully with all the exercise i managed to lose 1/2 a pound or pretty much maintain the same weight in that week. Gosh i was bad. I went to a British candy store i know and English candy is THE best in the whole world. Why did i do it!

Whos, try spin. Its awesome, and if you want to get back into cycling, its a great way to strengthen your leg muscles.

I'm always in for a challenge!

Yeah ive been working up to it....they have a 30min beginners class but its always in the day time. The other one is 45mins and im still not sure i could do it for that long yet. Ive done 20mins so far and had to take 5 min breaks between each 20 min session as i cant feel my butt anymore.

Try a seat cushion. They sell them at any sporting goods store and a lot of people in my classes use them.

I'm in for the exercise challenge. I want to try spinning but it does look imtimitading! Today, I did the elliptical for 30 minutes and worked with my trainer for 1 hour. Will try to do the treadmill late this afternoon to keep the ole metabolism ramped out. Go last 20 pounds!

I agree in that spin does look intimidating, but the funny thing is that its the easiest exercise to cheat at. You're controlling the tension, so if you leave the tension low, pedaling will be much easier than if you crank up the tension, which is really great for beginners, or if you've taken some time off from spin, like I have, because you can really go at your own pace until your comfortable to crank up the tension. You guys should definately check it out!

(I know, I sound spin crazy, but I just love it!)

I'm in! I've got a recumbent exercise bike, an elliptical, and a home gym on which I can do both upper and lower body strength training exercises.

I'm starting with cardio but I'll be seeing a physical trainer on January 18 and hope to get some help on planning a regimen that incorporates the strength training as well. I've done it in the past but not with trained guidance so I'm looking forward to what she has to say. She's a lapband patient of my doctor and has lost more than 100 pounds since last spring!

My January goal is to burn 7000 calories. That's based on my experience so far on the bike -- 300 calories on one program takes me 60 minutes. Another more intense program took me just 50 minutes the other day. I'm going to try the elliptical today. I don't know how accurate these machines are as far as burning calories, though they do require me to input my age and weight. But it doesn't really matter -- it's just a way for me to work toward a goal. :)

Good luck, y'all! :clap2:

I know spin will be intimidating at first, but so was the free weight room! (And now I LIVE in there.) I can't wait for my spin classes to start. I signed up for two classes...one starts on the 15th and the other starts on the 17th. Did I say I can't wait? LOL

WHOS - Trek makes a liner short that you can wear under your regular shorts. They are inexpensive and REALLY make a difference in staying in the saddle longer. Try your LBS...they should have them. Bike shorts are hella expensive, so I really suggest the liner to start with to see how you do.

JM - I love that you are addicted to spin! Makes me want to start even more!

EVERYONE - About the challenge...I'm gonna throw some ideas out and yall add to them or take away...whatever the masses agree on, but I want us to get started! LOL What do yall think about a two-fold challenge? Weight loss and exercise time. Check in once a week with the week ending on Sunday. Start a new thread or keep it here? (It might be messy here.) We set our own goals, competing against ourselves. Complete and utter honesty with numbers and food and the like. Kick each other in the butt when we need it, cheering each other on always. I don't mind making a spreadsheet to track and keep up with everyone and posting it in the thread. What else?

Hey Guys,

I would like to join your thread and look forward to seeing results in 2008. I had a option of doing my surgery before or after the holidays and I thought why would I wait. I am 16 days post op and feeling great. I average 10,000 steps a day which is about 3 miles of walking around doing this and that. Today I walked 40 minutes on a treadmill while watching 30 Rock on my laptop. (Netflix is great) and then I did 25 minutes on a speed bag that I bought from the Academy. I burn about 3200 calories a day with this routine and hope to add weight training back into the mix once I get cleared after my first fill. Here is what I use to motivate:

Bodybugg

Netflix- Download shows to my laptop so I can watch on the treadmill.

Lapband- No fill yet but the restrictive diet has helped

Boxing- This is so much fun and I can work a speed bag like a real boxer even though I have never stepped in the ring and would never attempt it.

I am 6'3 male that weighs 257 pounds. I plan to use the "book of muscle" to take me to the next level and I practice the Abs diet cookbook for eating. I am just one walking info commercial but that is my routing so far.

LivingTheDream - I'm gonna call you LD for short unless you mind? What is the "book of muscle"? Hey, you can be a walking infomercial all you want! Do what works! Welcome! Please come back and post often! The regulars here post every day as to what their workout is (or isn't!).

Today was leg day at the gym. Wow...adding powdered creatine to my "gym juice" really made a difference today. I was able to do three sets of 12 with 270# with no problem, so I threw another 45# plate on each side and did three more sets of 12 with 360#!!! Based on the level of difficulty, I am guessing I will be bumping that up to 450# (possibly) in about two more weeks. Also did six sets 12 on kickbacks for each leg with the first three sets being 40# and the last three sets being 50#. Those are hard, and I don't anticipate being able to go up to 60# any time soon. We didn't have time to do the extensions today, so I'll do them at home after dinner. SO GLAD I GOT MY HOME GYM! Total of an hour and a half at the gym today. I also went 22 miles on my cycle trainer this morning, and may do more later tonight, but my legs are a tad blown up right now, so we'll see.

I think keeping the challenge in this thread would be good. How should we report our values? Total time spent exercising, daily calorie average? It's a little complicated. Or weight lost for the week?