Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Week 4 Anxiety (long but a great read!! Lol)

I downloaded this app tonight because I had a really strong a visceral panic attack about getting the surgery. I’m 4 weeks post surgery today (6/9) and as I’m immersing myself more into regular life I’m feeling anxious about meeting my Water and Protein goals. And all around, what I’ve done to myself lol.

Being in the house and managing recovery and eating is so easy, but it’s summer and I have many trips planned. My first real trip after surgery was this week (still currently on it). I took my daughter to an inclusive resort so she could enjoy herself. So far, it’s been easy physically. I’m not experiencing anything bad. However, packing food for it was really difficult because I’m still in an early phase for food (blended/purée). So it’s not easy to meal prep blended or puréed meals for a 3 day trip when there aren’t many options or access to a kitchen.

I will say, eating isn’t an issue for me. I’ve been blessed in my journey and experience thus far and know I will be throughout the rest of my life. It’s the water portion, though. I really don’t want to be hospitalized for any reason; dehydration, eating certain things or too much come to mind when I think about it. I’m doing the best I can. I don’t meet the water goal everyday anymore (minimum 50 ounces) and that makes me scared.

I’m just feeling a lot of anxiety. In the beginning I didn’t have a “regret” phase, but I guess it just waited to hit me until now. I know it may get easier, but it’s not right now and it’s making me both scared and just hyper aware of my existence/physical needs. I did the research I could and briefly read studies, watched people’s experiences throughout their journeys and spoke to people. I just didn’t expect all of the prep and intentional work I have to put in each day to sustain myself. Especially in these early days.

As I write this, I’m reminding myself that I’m not even a month out so I can’t expect easy or to not feel a way. It’s just where I’m at right now. Any words of encouragement or pointers are greatly appreciated.

You are doing fine. Its hard for most people to be able to do the amount of Water needed. Its strange to put so much focus on ourselves. I have always put others before myself, husband, children, parents and even pets. Having to focus so hard on water and Vitamins was so different to my norm . Then Poof one day you wake up and its easier. Just do your best and take a drink to bed with you, if you wake have a drink. This intense stage does not last forever, even though it feels that way. Protein yogurts were a life saver/ wonder food for me. Once I found these I could meet my protein goals so easy.

You are bound to be anxious, its all new and bewildering at first. Its worth the hard work in the end

Thank you. My panic just kinda came on suddenly last night. I think I’ve just been ignoring it the past couple weeks. I should Celebrate making it this far but it’s been a strain mentally. I’ll try to focus on just drinking when I can. Protein is pretty easy because I have a routine. The Water is just the drain

When I freak out I ask myself, “What is my end game?” My goal is to enjoy the journey, live in the moment. If my moment is rough, I tell myself that drinking Water is an immediate way to nourish myself. No big deal, it’s a journey.

I still play around with flavors in my water. I like herbal teas and fruit, cucumbers and herbs, Gatorade Zero. It’s a journey.

I think everyone at some point worries if they’re doing the right thing, if they’ll work it all out or if it will get easier so you’re not alone.

I found drinking during the night helped get me to my Fluid goal. I still do it. I drink when I get into bed & when get out & when I wake during the night. The more we drink the more we pee so I drink before & after I pee too. Also I found it easier to drink warm/hot drinks. And yes switch up your variety of fluids & flavours.

May be pick up some baby food. Protein content often isn’t high but it’s better than nothing & gives you some choices for a meal. I was allowed instant rolled oats made very thin & on milk. Took me days to eat a portion of course but if you’re allowed it’s a great addition to your food options on purées. Try mashing a runny/soft egg too.

BIG HUGS I went through the same thing. I had a terrible time. feel free to stalk my profile and go back to my original posts and you will see what a bad head space I was in, but I am here to tell you it's gets easier and by the 6 months mark you will wonder why you felt like you are feeling now. With your hydration I found Powerade a life saver I was a big coke drinker before surgery, and I was like "I can't drink anything !!!" but you can you just can't have bubbles for a while, I also found a splash of cloudy pear juice in Water was great,went down really easy and helped with number 2s :)

yes the first few weeks and months can be tough, but it'll soon be behind you. I still log my food intake (at eight years out!) so I can monitor my overall calories, but otherwise, I don't really think about it at all - and haven't for a long time. At about six months out you'll no longer have any food restrictions (although you'll be encouraged to eat nutritiously and to watch your overall intake)), but you'll feel pretty normal.

Thank you all for your words!! It makes me feel better. I just want to make sure I’m following everything and meeting my goals as best I can. Drinking Water at night a good idea I’ll try out. Getting my Protein in is easy, I just struggle with drinking because it has started to make me sick. Probably from drinking plain water lol. The enhancers are too concentrated for me to enjoy them but I have figured it out

17 hours ago, sleevedbaddie said:

Thank you all for your words!! It makes me feel better. I just want to make sure I’m following everything and meeting my goals as best I can. Drinking Water at night a good idea I’ll try out. Getting my Protein in is easy, I just struggle with drinking because it has started to make me sick. Probably from drinking plain Water lol. The enhancers are too concentrated for me to enjoy them but I have figured it out

Water can almost feel too heavy to drink at times though adding a little juice (a teaspoon or squeeze of a citrus) like @sleeversk suggested can help. I used to dilute a lot of things (shakes, hydralyte, Soup, etc) to get them to a consistency, texture & flavour I could tolerate. I drank green tea (which is my regular drink), plain water & used to let sparkling water go flat (opened the bottle but didn’t drink it for a day). I found a great high Protein yoghurt drink too (you can make your own by blending your yoghurt with milk).