Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Multi Vita and Medic Alert bracelet

I have two questions. #1- I went for my two week appt and told MD I was taking Multi Vitamins occasionally as they make me nauseous. I have been faithfully taking Calcium and B12. He suggested and gave me some Patches. The nurse said they work well for some people. Anybody used them?
Second question is does everyone get a Medic Alert Bracelet or necklace or something? I know it’s important, but I feel kind of embarrassed as it’s not a terrible disease. I am probably being silly, but just wanted some input. Thanks!!

45 minutes ago, loras68 said:

I have two questions. #1- I went for my two week appt and told MD I was taking Multi Vitamins occasionally as they make me nauseous. I have been faithfully taking Calcium and B12. He suggested and gave me some Patches. The nurse said they work well for some people. Anybody used them?

I have been using Patch Aid. I have blood work scheduled for Friday and will find out if they are working.

vitamin patches are hit or miss. They work for some people but not for others. If you're not taking any Multivitamins, Patches are almost certainly better than nothing, so it's worth a try. Did the multivitamins that caused nausea contain Iron? A lot of people experience nausea from iron supplements, so you might want to try a Multivitamin without iron. For iron supplements, there are different forms of iron, and iron bisglycinate is supposed to be easier on the stomach than ferrous sulfate (which is the more common form of iron), so that's another thing you can try.

I don't think it's particularly common to get a medic alert Bracelet just for bariatric surgery. I do have one because I have a pacemaker, so in addition to my pacemaker info, I have "No blind NG tube" and "No NSAIDS." I wouldn't have gotten one just for that, though (and I didn't get one until I got my pacemaker). I don't have an actual bracelet, either -- I have a tag that attaches to my watch band (it's from a web site called Road ID). It is much more subtle than a separate bracelet, so if you want a bracelet but are self-conscious about it, you might consider something like that.

I have a “my id” that slips onto my watch band. What I like about it, is that it’s a QR code that links to the website so you can change the info, meds list, etc., as needed. Getmyid.com. (and, no, I’m not affiliated ……)

I'll pass on the Multi Vita question. I will say my surgeon wanted us getting our nutrition from food. If blood work revealed deficiencies, then use supplements to address those. Calcium and Iron were those he suggested prophylactically since they were common issues;

On the medic alert: No, not everyone get's one. I would say those that do get them are in the minority. My surgeon didn't feel they were necessary, and on my own research I amazingly came to the same conclusion as my surgeon. Imagine that!

Common medic alert items:

NG Stomach tube: There are standard practices for NG stomach tubes none of which require gastric bypass folks to warn anyone. First, NG stomach tubes are used for feeding which would not be done when you are unconscious in an emergency, once it would come to this point they will know your history or be able to see if it would be an issue; Even if this weren't the case, folks are trained to stop NG tube insertion when the slightest resistance is encountered, so the only time it would be an issue is when someone is doing it wrong already, so warning them not to do it wrong won't help;

No NSAIDS: Folks won't be forcing NSAIDs on us when we are unconscious; If we are encountering a cardiac situation they may want to do a low dose aspirin, to which you want to say yes to avert heart issues. Low dose for cardiac care won't harm our tummies, I take saving my heart over saving my tummy any day of the week; Many folks take low dose aspirin daily;

Dumping on Sugars: Again, they're not in the habit of forcing sugars on us if we are unconscious; Also, if in the extremely unlikely event that forcing sugar on us would be lifesaving, I'll take non-life threatening dumping over dying any day. Heck, I'll be asleep so dumping won't be a big deal. BTW, I dump and I'm still not scared;

On a more philosophical level for me, I didn't want this surgery to rule my life. I was building a new normal here and I don't need special labelling to establish my new normal. Again, this is a me thing and is meaningless to the rest of the world which is why I'm not labeling myself for the rest of the world. Such medic alert bracelet's are an invitation for people to ask why, and I don't want to explain why to anyone.

Hope this helps,

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

I started wearing bracelets about 8yrs ago for my mom, she developed dementia. I got them from ROADID.COM cute silicone, multiple colors, any inscription, I currently wear purple and lime green name DOB, emergency phone number and will be adding one "BARIATRIC SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY 5/2023, NO NSAIDS EVER". These bracelets are excellent for everyone, kids-adults-elderly, when my mom couldn't remember my phone number, that's when I got her a Bracelet. Wearing 24/7, through baths and showers, never take it off, except when I had the sleeve surgery. It is a personal choice, but think about the worst case scenario, traffic accident, vacations, emergency, it may prevent something traumatic happening to you by EMS or ER.

nope - I never got a medic alert Bracelet, for the same reasons The Greater Fool listed.

I should have added - although my sleeve gastrectomy is mentioned on my id, the main reason I have one is I had a heart valve replacement a few years ago.😊 If I had just had the VSG, I probably wouldn't wear one.

I developed post-bariatric hypoglycemia. So, I got one of those MyID sleeves to wear on my step tracker band. It just says that I had a gastric bypass and that I have hypoglycemia. I didn't get the ID until I developed the blood sugar issue - if I hadn't developed that, I wouldn't've gotten it.

I developed post-bariatric hypoglycemia. So, I got one of those MyID sleeves to wear on my step tracker band. It just says that I had a gastric bypass and that I have hypoglycemia. I didn't get the ID until I developed the blood sugar issue - if I hadn't developed that, I wouldn't've gotten it.

Before I left the hospital the nurse strongly urged me to get a medical Bracelet to state "no blind ng tubes". She shared a story with me of another patient with VSG who got into a car accident and the paramedics inserted a tube and punctured something. I don't remember the exact complication but the nurse said the patient was going to deal with the consequences for the rest of her life.

That was enough for me to buy one. Like a previous poster stated, I got mine from RoadID. They have tons of options to choose from. You can even pay extra to do an entire database with all your med info that lists all surgeries you've had, current meds you're on, allergies, emergency contact etc.

I had 2 separate incidents (prior to VSG) where I passed out bc my blood pressure meds weren't balanced right. So I WANT paramedics to have any info they need if something ever happens again.

I'm not embarrassed wearing the bracelet. I'd rather have peace of mind that should I ever become unresponsive, the info is readily available to a medical professional.

On 6/13/2023 at 5:06 PM, ItsAboutTheJourney said:

Before I left the hospital the nurse strongly urged me to get a medical Bracelet to state "no blind ng tubes". She shared a story with me of another patient with VSG who got into a car accident and the paramedics inserted a tube and punctured something. I don't remember the exact complication but the nurse said the patient was going to deal with the consequences for the rest of her life.

That was enough for me to buy one. Like a previous poster stated, I got mine from RoadID. They have tons of options to choose from. You can even pay extra to do an entire database with all your med info that lists all surgeries you've had, current meds you're on, allergies, emergency contact etc.

I had 2 separate incidents (prior to VSG) where I passed out bc my blood pressure meds weren't balanced right. So I WANT paramedics to have any info they need if something ever happens again.

I'm not embarrassed wearing the Bracelet. I'd rather have peace of mind that should I ever become unresponsive, the info is readily available to a medical professional.

I agree with you, I have one also!! I want all the medical professionals to know. It definitely can't hurt by giving them the information!! I also don't mind wearing it as it reminds me of the big decision and commitment I've made to improve my health and life!!!

I don't have a medical alert Bracelet, but I did get a medical alert card to carry in my wallet. It's something you can give to waiters/restaurants to request to purchase lunch portions or items from the kids' menu because of medical reasons. I haven't used it yet, but I keep it on me.