Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!!

I'm currently in the process of getting weight loss surgery, i'm torn between Sleeve and RNY. My doctor recommended sleeve but my number 1 concern is acid reflux, I don't have any issue that I know of with acid reflux now but I've hear people developed reflux/GERD shortly after the procedure or years later. Is there anyone that has not had any issues with reflux since having surgery? I'm torn .....

Hi Breezy. Same boat as you. I already have acid reflux, so I assumed that RNY would be my bet. But after talking to 2 surgeons (my first retired before I could get surgery) they both said that a lot of patients have reduced reflux even getting the sleeve. I was concerned like you. My doctor especially didn't want to do RNY as we know there are absorbtion issues, and I don't have a thyroid, so I am med dependant.

I'm super nervous too, so I completely understand. Hope this helps!

Not everyone develops reflux issues after sleeve - it's something like 30%, and for most it can be managed medically (i.e., with PPI's). There are some who have it pretty severely so their only option is revision, although again, for most, it can be managed in other ways.

I had reflux before surgery and went with the RNY because I figured I'd end up being one of the 30%, and I didn't want to take the risk. But others take it - and they end up doing fine. It's really kind of a crap shoot.

I think a lot of surgeons prefer the sleeve because it's a much simpler surgery, so they're probably more likely to recommend that one. Luckily, mine did recommend RNY for me, although he said he'd be glad to do either. He's also been doing these surgeries for 30+ years, so he's done a ton of RNY's. I think some of the younger ones have most of their experience with sleeve since that's been the popular of the two surgeries for the last 10 years or so.

I had intermittent heartburn/reflux pre-surgery. Usually a few Tums would take care of it, occasionally I took a Pepcid if it got bad, I was never on long term treatment for it (PPIs). Post-surgery I took Prilosec preventatively for 6 months. Now I'm nearly 2 years post-op and in maintenance - I do occasionally get heartburn but it is less frequent and less severe than pre surgery.

I had bad acid reflux before surgery, so I opted for the gastric bypass. Little did I know I had a hiatal hernia and 10% of my stomach was pushed up through my diaphragm. So I guess I'll never know if the sleeve would have been OK for me after the hernia was repaired. I'm just happy I am reflux/heartburn free now.

I have read many sleeve patients suffer with it so I can see your dilemma. Good luck!

I had nasty reflux for years before my sleeve. I knew that it had always improved at times when I had lost significant amounts of weight so I gambled on that happening again if I had sleeve as opposed to bypass. So far that gamble has paid off. 🤞

I pondered that question for months. I have GERD and didn't want to risk it getting worse, so I chose the bypass. Because I knew I didn't want a revision surgery, it was easy for me to make the choice once got past the idea of dumping syndrome. Each surgery comes with its list of pros and cons, it comes down to what you're willing to live with.