Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello I have had a lot of success after my gastric sleeve. Been six months since surgery . I got to a normal BMI the first week of May. Haven’t lost any weight since. I am by no means complaining. But my goal is to get my bmi around 23.5 so about ten more lbs. reasoning for this is because I heard some people tend to gain a little weight after surgery once they meet their goal. I want to keep my bmi in normal range hopefully for the rest of my life. Anywho, has anybody tried the pouch reset? Does it work? Would it help me to make progress towards these last ten lbs? Thanks!

The best advice I can give it to determine your BMR. This is the calories you need to sustain your current weight and conditions. There are calculators online to help you determine your BMR.

From there I would log everything you eat, drink, take for a day or two to see if your calorie intake is above your BMR if so, cut back. There are also calculators that tell you your BMR and what calories you should be consuming for a specific weight loss per week.

I think a lot of people regain weight or have trouble losing that last 10 pounds because they get comfortable and start grazing. Portions trend up a bit and before you know it, you gain back a little.

So, rather than trying a reset, liquid diet, any kind of diet, Id work on getting control of calories in or increasing exercise.

Good luck!

On 05/24/2023 at 03:22, Fred in Pa said:

The best advice I can give it to determine your BMR. This is the calories you need to sustain your current weight and conditions. There are calculators online to help you determine your BMR.

From there I would log everything you eat, drink, take for a day or two to see if your calorie intake is above your BMR if so, cut back. There are also calculators that tell you your BMR and what calories you should be consuming for a specific weight loss per week.

I think a lot of people regain weight or have trouble losing that last 10 pounds because they get comfortable and start grazing. Portions trend up a bit and before you know it, you gain back a little.

So, rather than trying a reset, liquid diet, any kind of diet, Id work on getting control of calories in or increasing exercise.

Good luck!

Thank you! Great idea actually

since you're at a normal BMI, your calories in/calories out are probably at about equilibrium. It's a real battle to get any more off. Not to say that you can't, but it'll be a struggle. I know the closer I got, the harder it was. There were months I only lost a pound or two, despite a ton of work.

This is where you're at now. I wouldn't bother with pouch "resets" now. They don't really work, and it gets you back into diet mentality. You can always take off more weight, but the closer you get to a normal BMI (and you're already there), the harder it is and the slower it comes off. That's just biology. If you DO want to drop a few more lbs, as the person above said, monitoring your calories and bumping up your exercise is the way to do it, with the realization that it's going to be V-E-R-Y slow going from here on out.

Congratulations on your weight loss. Whoo hoo!

Unfortunately, there’s no such thing as a pouch reset. It’s just a myth. You can’t regain those surgery honeymoon period bonuses like reduced hunger or appetite. Remember your smaller tummy is still there which is a big positive. It just comes down to how you use it.

If you seem to have stabilised at your new current weight, it’s possible this is your new set point (a gift of the surgery). This is the weight your body is happiest at & is easiest to maintain. Our old much higher set point is one of the reasons we would regain any weight we’d lose so easily in the past. Remember not everyone reaches the goal weight they have set for themselves & that’s okay.

To lose more weight you need to reduce your calorie intake. Though to maintain the lower weight you will also need to continue use to eat less than what you do now. For example my BMR at my weight, age, height & activity level is about 1500 calories. If I weighed 10kg more at 60kg my calorie needs would be about 1700 calories to maintain. Is a lower calorie intake sustainable in the long term? This is something only you can answer knowing your lifestyle & how you want to live your life. Also you can’t exercise the extra weight away. Exercise only accounts for about 10% of the weight you want to lose. Want to lose 10lbs? Exercising accounts for about 1lb.

Not everyone experiences the 2nd/3rd year bounce back regain (usually 10-20lbs). I didn’t. Some of the regain is your body settling at a slightly higher weight with your set point. Some of it is because how you were eating (calories, activity level, eating style) wasn’t sustainable. Some of it is because of lifestyle choices. And yes some of it is from becoming complacent, less vigilant or falling back into old habits. Some of the regain you have control over. Some you don’t.

When I reached my current weight, I too thought I’d have bounce back regain wriggle room & it would be okay if I ended up at or around my goal. At 4 years I’m a about 1-2lbs (depending upon the day lol!) more than at where my weight first settled.

Yeah like they said, pouch resets isn't really a thing. It's essentially just putting you back on a diet. The main one I've seen is the Protein Shake diet & it works because it puts you back into a basic calorie deficit. You can do that without drinking just liquids, make it a better experience for yourself!

Edited by qtdoll

Echoing the "reset isn't real", and definitely co-signing on the calories. Here's a link to calorie calculators for loss and maintenance - pop in your stats and it gives you calorie guides. Super easy.

Weight loss absolutely slows to a crawl as you reach goal, but staying in a deficit works, even if it's slow. I also wanted a "buffer" for the 3-year gain-back scenario, and I'm now ten kilos past my goal, which was what I was after. This whole process is just ongoing calorie adjustment and patience.

Your dietitian can also help in addition to what everyone else has been saying.

On 05/24/2023 at 22:11, Arabesque said:

Congratulations on your weight loss. Whoo hoo!

Unfortunately, there’s no such thing as a pouch reset. It’s just a myth. You can’t regain those surgery honeymoon period bonuses like reduced hunger or appetite. Remember your smaller tummy is still there which is a big positive. It just comes down to how you use it.

If you seem to have stabilised at your new current weight, it’s possible this is your new set point (a gift of the surgery). This is the weight your body is happiest at & is easiest to maintain. Our old much higher set point is one of the reasons we would regain any weight we’d lose so easily in the past. Remember not everyone reaches the goal weight they have set for themselves & that’s okay.

To lose more weight you need to reduce your calorie intake. Though to maintain the lower weight you will also need to continue use to eat less than what you do now. For example my BMR at my weight, age, height & activity level is about 1500 calories. If I weighed 10kg more at 60kg my calorie needs would be about 1700 calories to maintain. Is a lower calorie intake sustainable in the long term? This is something only you can answer knowing your lifestyle & how you want to live your life. Also you can’t exercise the extra weight away. Exercise only accounts for about 10% of the weight you want to lose. Want to lose 10lbs? Exercising accounts for about 1lb.

Not everyone experiences the 2nd/3rd year bounce back regain (usually 10-20lbs). I didn’t. Some of the regain is your body settling at a slightly higher weight with your set point. Some of it is because how you were eating (calories, activity level, eating style) wasn’t sustainable. Some of it is because of lifestyle choices. And yes some of it is from becoming complacent, less vigilant or falling back into old habits. Some of the regain you have control over. Some you don’t.

When I reached my current weight, I too thought I’d have bounce back regain wriggle room & it would be okay if I ended up at or around my goal. At 4 years I’m a about 1-2lbs (depending upon the day lol!) more than at where my weight first settled.

Thank you very much! Great advice

Ok.. well according to my nutritionist at my surgeons office I saw today 6/23/2023. There is a pouch reset and I will be starting this on Sunday.. just like how you did it before surgery and after surgery .. it shocks you stomach to have that full feel again .:

I will let you know how it goes

On 6/23/2023 at 3:40 PM, yankeesgrl718 said:

Ok.. well according to my nutritionist at my surgeons office I saw today 6/23/2023. There is a pouch reset and I will be starting this on Sunday.. just like how you did it before surgery and after surgery .. it shocks you stomach to have that full feel again .:

I will let you know how it goes

My nutritionist also said there's a pouch reset and stated it forces your pouch to "remember" the amount, way, and what to eat.