Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 months PO severe pain under left rib radiating to shoulder

Around 5 months ago (I would've been 5 months PO then as 10 months PO now) I started to get a sharp constant stabbing pain under my left rib. It has come and gone over the months and I mentioned it to my consultant who ordered a CT scan which I'm still waiting on the results for.

But its really gotten worse over the last few weeks now radiating to my left shoulder making breathing painful. I've had some nausea and sweating with it also.

I went to A+E and all tests came back fine. X ray showed a build up of poop so they diagnosed Constipation and after some suppositories I had a full clear out. The pain continued.

Ended up in A+E again and they're stumped. Ruled out heart attack and blood clots etc and sent me home.

I chased up my CT scan results today but they haven't looked at them yet.

Has anyone experienced this? I keep seeing gas pain in search results but could this really be gas again? I thought I was over the gas pain weeks out. This feels a bit different.

The gas used to full the abdominal cavity during surgery dissipates within days, so definitely not that. Possibly regular old gas, like digestive gas, but it would be unusual for it to persist for so long. Have you been checked for kidney issues (infection? stones?)? Whatever it is, I hope you get answers quickly! Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself and press for more tests, if needed.

Wouldn’t be surgical gas this long out. I wondered kidney stones too or pancreatitis, ulcer, lung infection,… I hope your consultant gets of their butt & looks at your scans soon. No one should experience pain for this number of months with no answer as to it’s cause.

I hope it’s nothing serious. All the best.

I hope by this stage they have checked the results and have gotten back to you with a result. Could be gallstones or kidneys or pancreas. Either way dont be fobbed off there has to be a cause and you need some relief.

Edited by Possum220

I have had severe pain off and on since jan and had a ct scan done that saw nothing. I don't have any for sure answers either but it might be adhesions from the surgery. My pain was always worse about an hour after eating and my location was slightly different but adhesions can be anywhere that was affected by the surgery. From what I've been told, there really isn't anything you can do to fix an adhesion though. I'm not saying that's what you have, just my experience with strange sharp pains and about the same time frame. I hope you get some for sure answers and feel better soon!

Sounds like the gallbladder. I hope you get some answers!

4 hours ago, Jeanniebug said:

Sounds like the gallbladder. I hope you get some answers!

Gall bladder pain is on the right side not left and wraps around to your back. You really know about it when it hits. The pain can be very severe. I was rolling on my bed, sweating with the pain. It’s truely awful.

Hey @Hope4NewMe, adhesions can be removed but they only do it if they cause problems or pain. If no pain or problems they usually leave them. It does mean another surgery (laparoscopic) & the risk of new ones forming though.

Edited by Arabesque

13 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Gall bladder pain is on the right side not left and wraps around to your back. You really know about it when it hits. The pain can be very severe. I was rolling on my bed, sweating with the pain. It’s truely awful.

Hey @Hope4NewMe, adhesions can be removed but they only do it if they cause problems or pain. If no pain or problems they usually leave them. It does mean another surgery (laparoscopic) & the risk of new ones forming though.

I was 19 when I had my gallbladder out, so it's been a few (ahem) years. I'd forgotten which side it was on. And I didn't look to see where my scar was. LOL! I just remembered that the pain went all the way through my body.

This does sound like gallbladder, even though most have issues on the right side. I had emergency removal in Dec and mine hurt dead center and radiated left. My gallbladder was extremely inflamed, infected, and had huge stones. The dr said it was about to rupture. Hope you are feeling better, and have some answers!

On 5/26/2023 at 2:53 AM, Jeanniebug said:

I was 19 when I had my gallbladder out, so it's been a few (ahem) years. I'd forgotten which side it was on. And I didn't look to see where my scar was. LOL! I just remembered that the pain went all the way through my body.

Lol! My scars wouldn’t have helped - he used the same incision scars from my sleeve.

Oh the pain. I said to someone if I didn’t know what it was I thought have thought I was dying & they said their daughter did think she was dying & was distraught - sobbing uncontrollably.

2 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Oh the pain. I said to someone if I didn’t know what it was I thought have thought I was dying & they said their daughter did think she was dying & was distraught - sobbing uncontrollably.

Same. I thought I was dying. It was awful.

I had pain like this when I was in the early stages of pneumonia both times since I've had my sleeve. My left shoulder hurt constantly, and it turns out the infection was in the bottom left lobe of my lung. When they did your CT scan did they look at your lungs? Are you coughing? Running a fever?

Thanks for everyones replies. I thought I might add that my sleeve was for the removal of a tumour. So my goal wasn't to lose weight and I was given no aftercare advice on food intake or liquids etc. My goal has always been to gain weight as I was already underweight when I had the sleeve.

Quick update. I got the results of my ct scan today. It shows my stomach is dilated and distended? Maybe not emptying properly so they'd like to get me in for a barium. Could I have stretched it? Does anyone have any info on this please?

Still having the pain on and off. It seems to come in flares lasting days and then easing off. Weirdly seems to flare up if I take paracetamol or cocodamol so I've been avoiding those.

Will check back in as soon as I have any other news. Hope everyone is keeping well.

Edited by Kate207

Stretching your tummy is pretty difficult to do unless you’re eating copious amounts of food throughout the day for a long period of time. But I wonder if your tummy not emptying fully contributed - the remaining food continuing to ferment, possibly causing more stomach acid to be produced; the tummy never contracting back after eating, etc. It will be interesting to hear what they think is the cause. Hope they come up with a treatment or a way to remedy it soon.