Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

S L O W Weight-loss 2 Months Out

I am just curious....

I had VSG on 03/09/2023. This is supposed to be the HONEYMOON PHASE! But I am turtle losing. Doing all the right things. Eating my calorie limit, hitting Water and Protein goals. I have lost 21lbs since 03/09, seven of those pounds was the first week after surgery.

Anyone else a turtle loser too?

Some people are slow losers & some are fast. Nothing wrong or right about how fast or slow you lose. You’ll find lots of stats about weight loss but they are just averages & will give you an idea of what you might experience not what you definitely will experience.

But 21lbs in about 5 weeks isn’t slow. Excluding your initial 7lbs, you’re averaging about 3lbs a week. That’s about what I lost & my surgeon & dietician were happy with my progress. Don’t know what your starting weight was but were you expecting to lose 40 & 50lbs in your first month? That only happens for those who began at very high weights like on My 600lb Life.

Oh & how fast or slow you lose doesn’t affect how much you lose. You’ll be fine. Just stick to your plan.

I agree with everything Arabesque said. I don't know your starting weight, but generally speaking, the lower it is, the slower the weight loss is (usually, anyway). I was a slow loser rom the beginning and lost 100% of my excess weight (over 200 lbs) (I've had some regain since then, but within the 10-20 lb regain range that most of us experience after hitting our lowest weight). If you stick to your program, the weight will come off, whether fast or slow.

8 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Some people are slow losers & some are fast. Nothing wrong or right about how fast or slow you lose. You’ll find lots of stats about weight loss but they are just averages & will give you an idea of what you might experience not what you definitely will experience.

But 21lbs in about 5 weeks isn’t slow. Excluding your initial 7lbs, you’re averaging about 3lbs a week. That’s about what I lost & my surgeon & dietician were happy with my progress. Don’t know what your starting weight was but were you expecting to lose 40 & 50lbs in your first month? That only happens for those who began at very high weights like on My 600lb Life.

Oh & how fast or slow you lose doesn’t affect how much you lose. You’ll be fine. Just stick to your plan.

Thank you for your answer! Starting weight was 271. Surgery weight was 250. Now I am 229.4

39 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I agree with everything Arabesque said. I don't know your starting weight, but generally speaking, the lower it is, the slower the weight loss is (usually, anyway). I was a slow loser rom the beginning and lost 100% of my excess weight (over 200 lbs) (I've had some regain since then, but within the 10-20 lb regain range that most of us experience after hitting our lowest weight). If you stick to your program, the weight will come off, whether fast or slow.

Thank you for your answer. I gave my stats just a few seconds ago. Congrats on your weight loss! That's amazing. I guess most of the time I feel I am doing something wrong. I read others comments on how they cna only take a few bites and then their done. Or they can't eat and only want to drink. i don't have any problems eating or drinking. I can eat about 4-6 oz depending on what it is with no hurt or major fullness. I just fear I am not restricted enough to lose faster. BUT i know with time all will be well.

On 5/15/2023 at 3:46 PM, lkautry said:

I am just curious....

I had VSG on 03/09/2023. This is supposed to be the HONEYMOON PHASE! But I am turtle losing. Doing all the right things. Eating my calorie limit, hitting Water and Protein goals. I have lost 21lbs since 03/09, seven of those pounds was the first week after surgery.

Anyone else a turtle loser too?

I agree with everyone! Just stick to the plan! Also, sometimes we need to put the scale away in order to not get discouraged! Ive also heard people mention you cant just pay attention to the scale, but if you are losing inches then that is a big deal also!!!

I've been slow and steady too. 1-2 lbs a week. At 3 months I've lost 33 lbs. sonce surgery, 41 total. That is where my Dr. wants it to be. I have no issues with any food, and can eat quite a bit, so I definately have to be very careful what I eat.