Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I’ve posted about this before but I just wanted to ask again as I’m further in on my post surgery Hair loss journey. Does anyone have any tips for handling it? Also, how long did it last for you? I think I’ve been experiencing this for around a month now. I was also wondering if there anything I should avoid (ie, frequently washing my hair or frequently brushing it, etc.). Any tips or advice or what worked for you guys would be super helpful! Thank you!!

Three months is pretty common & that’s regardless of taking additional Vitamins or supplements or not (save your money on those - they may only benefit your new growth). Of course for some it’s a little longer & others a little less. Just make sure you’re meeting or very close to your Protein goals. Most of the accelerated Hair loss is down your body’s reaction to the surgery, anaesthetic, hormonal fluctuations, stress, etc.

Remember, your new hair hair is still growing at it’s usual rate. In a few months you may start to see the little fluffy bits of your new Hair growth.

Many of us cut our hair shorter. Shorter hair looks fuller & bouncier than long & it will take less time for your new hair growth to grow to reach your shorter length hair. You can always grow it again. If your hair loss is significant or noticeable try wigs or hair pieces or once the hair loss has slowed/stopped maybe look at hair extensions.

ditto on three months (at least for me!). I didn't lose that much, though - no one else would have noticed. As Arabesque said, the most you can do is keep on top of your Protein and supplements.

Hi there, Hair loss can be really scary, especially when you’re already in a fragile state after surgery. Before surgery, I talked to my hairstylist and doctor to understand what was coming and how to deal with it. Here are some of the tips they gave me:

1. Get all of your Protein

2. Take your Multivitamins religiously

3. Keep your scalp clean and healthy

4. Don’t use harsh shampoos. Use fragrance free, low lather, low chemical shampoos

5. Wear your hair loose. Avoid tight pony tails or braids etc

6. Keep your hair out of the sun to avoid UV damage

7. Use a wide tooth comb to brush your hair, and be gentle. Use natural bristles if using a brush

8. Reduce your overall stress (meditation, relaxation techniques, etc can help). Stress itself is one of the biggest contributors

9. if your hair seems brittle, try coconut oil or olive oil. Just be careful not to over wash afterward (oily hair can perturb some)

10. accelerate new growth with Vitamins, Biotin, etc. they won’t prevent loss but they can help regrowth

I hope some of this was helpful. Good luck to you and remember it’s only temporary! 🍀☺️

My Hair loss happened around month 3 & it was insane BUT I kept up with my Vitamins & Protein & it stopped after about a month after. I did not need any special hair suppliments or anything like that. Being properly nourished took care of that issue for me. I'm 8 months out & haven't felt with any abnormal hair loss since

mine started at 3 months post-op.

cut off all my hair into a pixie because i hated seeing my scalp AND vacuuming up the CARPETS of hair accumulating in my bathroom.

The Great Shedding stopped about 3 months after it started.

im 4.5+ years out now and i have a full head of under-boob length hair that actually seems thicker & healthier than it was pre-surgery (probably due to my better diet and overall health) and it even has a wave to it now, which was unexpected, but appreciated lol.

I didn't take any sort of supplement nor do anything special to my routine other than the haircut. Basically just waited it out.

Good Luck, and hang in there!

Hi everybody! Thank you so much for all of the reply’s, it is SO incredibly helpful! Question for you all. I am getting ready to head out of town for summer & I’m concerned about the Hair loss. I’ll be in the ocean pretty much every day, meaning I’ll need to be washing my hair a lot more. Do you think this will worsen Hair loss or cause more shedding? Should I maybe try to wash it less rather than every day like I would’ve before? Thanks again! 

I’d recommend wetting your hair and putting on a deep conditioner to keep the salt from drying out your hair- but that wont really stop loss, it will just keep your hair in good condition. Maybe air drying would be good too— there really isn’t much to stop it from shedding, but keeping the rest of it healthy will make you feel better about it.

i think frequent hair washing (with shampoo) is more an issue for your scalp than your actual hair.

i only "wash" my hair with Shampoo maybe once every 1-2 weeks. all other times in the shower i "wash" with conditioner only (google co-washing).

honestly nothing is going to prevent the hair that means to fall out from not falling out. you may delay it a bit (dont wash, dont brush, dont rub, don't tie up, etc). but its really just delaying the inevitable.

enjoy your vacation, your hair will sort out eventually ❤️

Oh I feel you OP. I am almost 18 months post sleeve and had 3 periods of really noticeable Hair loss along the way. I have always had thick hair that I have worn well below shoulder length. At around 3 months I lost loads and cut it to shoulder length. Twice more I have shed *A LOT* and done the same or higher cut again. Now sitting at a below ear bob, LOL. However - this far out I now have about 3 inches of really really thick regrowth (fuzz) that I think will meet my current bob in a few months.

Nothing you put onto your hair will make any difference - honestly. Being well nourished from within and meeting all of your goals might. However for me it was just reaching the end of my weight loss and the concurrent major stress on my body that seemed to allow my hair to finally regrow properly.

You're doing amazingly I'm sure. I wish you the very best of luck.

All the hair on your head eventually sheds at some time. It falls out itself onto your clothes or the floor, you wash the loose strands out or you catch it on your brush or comb. It’s just that at the moment your Hair loss schedule has been sped up. Can’t stop it & you can’t really make yourself lose more than what you currently are. Just be gentle. I like the idea of putting conditioner on it before swimming, & ensure you rinse your hair out well after swimming until you can wash it properly.

I have very thick hair so losing some won't be an issue. Every Spring I cut my hair into a long shag with lots of layers and texturing. Feels so much lighter going into Summer.

This year and 5 weeks out from surgery, I'm debating if I should be purposely thinning my hair out and get the cut. 🤔