Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I lost my weight in 2020. Since then I’ve been struggling with my tummy mostly (I lost 120 and other areas could use a nip tuck). I have a pretty big belly it prevents me from tucking in and wearing a lot of things I would like to wear. I’m 56 years old and petrified of surgeries but especially this one. I know it will be very painful. And also the quote I got at the surgeons office was 15k for tummy and 15k for breast lift. I’m in Boston and this was in office not in hospital. In hospital was an extra 11k.

My questions are
1. Does that price sound outrageous? Again it’s a good size job and I’m sure it’s more bc of that??

2. Is there anything else I can do to reduce this tummy I know the big procedure is the only way to really do it but do these fat loss clinics (must be Lipo? ) clinics work?

3. How painful was this?

4. Would you do this in office?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

35 minutes ago, onmyway11 said:

I lost my weight in 2020. Since then I’ve been struggling with my tummy mostly (I lost 120 and other areas could use a nip tuck). I have a pretty big belly it prevents me from tucking in and wearing a lot of things I would like to wear. I’m 56 years old and petrified of surgeries but especially this one. I know it will be very painful. And also the quote I got at the surgeons office was 15k for tummy and 15k for breast lift. I’m in Boston and this was in office not in hospital. In hospital was an extra 11k.

My questions are
1. Does that price sound outrageous? Again it’s a good size job and I’m sure it’s more bc of that??

2. Is there anything else I can do to reduce this tummy I know the big procedure is the only way to really do it but do these fat loss clinics (must be Lipo? ) clinics work?

3. How painful was this?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

1. No the price isn’t outrageous but prices vary by region (and relative experience). One way to lower the cost is to see if insurance will cover part of it and pay the rest. You may have to work with your primary doctor or Bariactrics surgeon to establish a need such as skin irritation/infections not resolved by medications. Another way is to travel to a competitive area that has lower costs and that may include Medical Tourism overseas. Definitely get multiple consultations to see what the prices are in and out of your area. Some surgeons will provide free consultations and quotes (virtual) and some will charge a fee.

2. Anything non surgical might just be a waste of time and money that you could have used to pay for the skin removal surgery. liposuction will remove additional fat from the area and retract some of the skin through wound remodeling but not large amounts of skin.

3. Definitely more painful than Bariatric surgery. But it was worth the recovery for me.

4. I did it in office where there was an en-suite OR but I had surgery in the competitive plastic surgery market of Miami where that is the standard not the exception. You have to choose what you are comfortable with but also if you can get insurance coverage that may reduce the hospital portion as well.

Good Luck!

1) if that "tummy" surgery is a whole lower body lift, then that's a good deal. If it's just a Tummy Tuck, then that's probably about average these days, especially for a city like Boston.

I'm not sure about breast lift, but it's also probably about average since it's Boston (back when I was doing research about six years ago, I read somewhere (maybe here on BP?) to expect $8K-$10K per procedure, with a lower body lift counting as two procedures, since they do both front and back). That estimate did ring true for me, but again, that was six years ago. Plus you're usually going to pay more in urban areas and/or with surgeons who've had a lot of experience and good reputations. So anyway, no, those prices don't seem outrageous.

2) I would go for the surgery if you want to get rid of it. I don't know how effective these alternative methods are - maybe minimally. Results from surgery are dramatic and permanent (as long as you don't gain the weight back!)

3) my lower body lift was pretty painful. After the first few days, though, it was more discomfort than pain, but the discomfort lasted for quite awhile. I don't remember the breast lift being very painful. I think the body lift pain was because they tighten the muscles and do liposuction - those are things that tend to cause pain, from what I've read. But like with the above poster, the pain was worth it - I have a normal-looking body now, and I'm really happy with it. I'd do the surgery again for sure.

4) that comes down to personal preference. I wanted mine done in a hospital, and I wanted to spend the first night there in case anything happened. The surgeon I went with ONLY does his surgeries in a hospital, and he does make you spend the first night there just in case. The other two consults I had (for body lifts) will do theirs in hospitals if requested, but by default they do them in surgery centers where you go home that night. Their quotes (at least for the lower body lift - which was the only surgery for which I did more than one consult) were cheaper - one was cheaper by $2000, the other by $6000. The first guy has a national reputation, though, so his $2000 price difference was likely due to fact there that it would have been in a day surgical center, not a hospital (and no overnight). The second guy didn't have nearly as much experience, which would have accounted for the much lower price. (I had a facelift a few years later by a different surgeon - I didn't do a hospital surgery for that one since it's a much easier surgery - I was comfortable doing that one at a surgery center)

Thank you for the thread OP, and thanks for the honest answers. I am deciding what to have done at the moment. My arms are a mess so I think they will be going to the surgeon first. I keep forgetting about the waggly skin and they flop about under my clothes.

Were you getting quotes for hospitals in Boston itself or did you look into hospitals in the outer areas?

I'm from MA and Boston will definitely run you a lot of money, but maybe one of the hospitals on the south or north shores might be less expensive.

Thank you so much for all your detailed and honest answers not surprised by any of them it’s what I expected. Now I just need to get up some courage!!

@st77 one estimate was in Wellesley and one was in chestnut hill so there you go haha 2 pretty high end places.

1 minute ago, onmyway11 said:

Thank you so much for all your detailed and honest answers not surprised by any of them it’s what I expected. Now I just need to get up some courage!!

@st77 one estimate was in Wellesley and one was in chestnut hill so there you go haha 2 pretty high end places.

Oh yes, those will cost you. I can't say if looking into South Shore Hospital or North Shore Medical Center would be any savings.

I've known of several WLS people on the east coast who went to Dr. Capella in New Jersey (that is, if you're willing to travel - some people are, some aren't). All he does is body contouring for massive weight loss patients, and his prices are supposedly pretty reasonable for the New York area. I don't know what they're running now, though.

https://www.capellaplasticsurgery.net/post-weight-loss-surgery/

(I actually traveled for mine - to Chicago - about two hours away - but I know people who've flown places to work with a nationally-known plastic surgeon (and Dr. Capella is one)).

Also on the east coast who's nationally known is Dr. Joseph Michaels in the DC area (I think he's affiliated with Johns Hopkins University). But again, that'd mean traveling, of course, I've known several WLS patients who've gone to him

https://www.josephmichaelsmd.com/

a lot of these really well-known surgeons will do consults over the phone (you'd have to send them pictures so they know what they'd be dealing with) - not sure about these two, but I'm guessing they do). Also, most plastic surgeons will charge you for a consult - maybe $100 or so - but they take that off your surgery if you go with them. I had three in Chicago and one from a surgeon in Mexico - the Chicago ones all charged for the consult, but I felt is was money well spent.

Edited by catwoman7

SHORT ANSWER: (in my opinion) omg yes, totally worth it. its a serious game changer.

I've read similar pricing like that on here at times so not totally outrageous...but I am from Canada and it seems prices up here are comparatively lower. I also had my TT supplement with provincial insurance so that helped reduce the cost.

If the rest of you is already "small", then probably not. its not possible to "spot-lose" weight without surgery. Lipo adresses fat, it will do nothing for excess skin.

3. How painful was this?

Um...really painful. but im a bit of a low-tolerance pain-baby, so.

I had a choice to get it done in my surgeon's office or in the hospital. But since insurance was covering part of it, the premium to have in hospital was also covered, so it was a no-brainer: hospital.

BUT, if i did have to pay, i would probably have done in hospital regardless just for peace of mind. i remember being low-key scared of not waking up after surgery and the idea that there were all these doctors and equipment to revive me made me feel a little better (dramatic, yes, but still!!). plus i could stay overnight with 24hr care.

I've had multiple surgeries. Some in the states, one in Mexico.

My in the states Tummy Tuck was first. I was not that pleased. I lost my curve and looked like spongebob square pants. This was done in a surgical center. I was kicked out and sent home pretty quickly after surgery. Not the best experience. This was in 2015

My second surgery was covered by insurance. A breast reduction that was also performed in the states. I am surpised how small he made my breasts, but I've always hated them and wanted small breasts so I was happy. I did end up with dog ears and some keloid spots. I didn't have them addressed, but I'm told it's pretty simple to address both issues, so I may in the near future. This was done in a hospital. It was a more pleasant experience. I did go home the same day. This was in 2016

During COVID I gained 50 lbs and had bariatric surgery. Lost 60 lbs

The third plastic surgery was a brazilliam butt lift. I had this surgery in January. I explained that I wanted Lipo to try to give me my curve back and a natural looking butt. This was done in Mexico. I am absolutely amazed at this procedure. He lipo'd my back and flanks and extended tummy tuck? Basically gave me back my hourglass figure. He inserted the fat at my hips and butt. I stayed in the hospital for a week. I had round the clock nurses care. I didn't need it. I would have preferred being at home but I don't like staying in hotels/hospitals. I want to sleep in my bed. I found that they do specialize in weightloss patients and have a long waiting list. But cancellations occur and you can move up your date rather easily if you are flexible.

Yes, yes, yes to being worth it!!! Plastics changed my life! Best thing I did for myself, besides the WLS!!!

As for price? Yes, $30K for tummy and breasts is way too much in my opinion! I would recommend joining the Facebook Groups, there's a bunch of them, check out No BS Tummy tucks and Breast Mob. Lots of before and after photos, surgeon info, prices etc. If you are willing to travel, Miami is the place to go for a MMO! I would go private practice though, not one of the clinics, as the clinics tend to overbook, and then change your date at the last minute, which is a problem when you are traveling for surgery.

I was initially scheduled at a clinic in Miami (for $11,500), but my preferred surgeon left the clinic, and I didn't want want to go with a different surgeon at that particular clinic. So I ended up switching to a private practice surgeon on the other coast (Ft Myers), and ended up paying $14,000. To me, it was worth the extra $$ for the private practice experience, etc. There are lots of private practice options right in Miami though. You can bring a companion with you, and stay in a hotel, or if you want to travel solo, there are recovery houses available that provide after care until you are ready to fly back home. Or of course, just stay local, but shop around a little bit more until you find the right fit and right price!

Best of luck in whatever you decide!!

1. Insurance paid for my abdominoplasty. Since my weight loss caused back issues, rashes under the pannus, among other things, the surgery was classified as "reconstructive" rather than "cosmetic." Insurance paid for it all;

2. I can't speak to your situation, but for me there is nothing I could have done to deal with the extra skin. Lipo removes fat, but we generally also have extra skin. A lot of extra skin;

3. This was the most painful experience of my life. I was warned that it would be extraordinarily painful but it was completely under sold;

4. I couldn't imagine going through what I went through outside of a hospital, even without the unexpected events that required a second emergency life saving surgery.

It seems a little high. Definitely get multiple quotes. Find a surgeon who best fits your needs.

Nope, nothing will resolve the volume of loose skin most of us have without surgical removal

3. How painful was this?

Very manageable for me. A lot of discomfort, very little pain

I wouldn't hesitate to do it in an office. It's more comfortable to recuperated at home than in a hospital setting. These procedures are regularly done as an outpatient.

To answer your question, 100% worth it. Like @ChubRub said, plastics were life changing for me, like WLS was. WLS made me comfortable in clothes, PS made me comfortable in my own skin.

I'm one of the Dr. Capella patients that @catwoman7 referenced. He specializes in massive WL patients and is very fairly priced. I love my results. My only caution is, he does better work on low BMI patients, with skin, not fat to remove. I was pulled tight, in a fantastic way!

I have not had WLS plastics, but had previous breast reduction surgery.

Mine was in 2011, after I’d finished breast feeding my daughter. I am small framed, 5’2’’ and had 34 G (that’s DDDDD) reduced to D cups. It was significantly life changing, and I am so glad i did it. Had it done in “medical suite” and was sent home same day. Worse part for me was the nausea from anesthesia— but minimal to no pain. Took half a pain pill because my sister forced me to.

For reference- I took NO pain meds after leaving hospital with VSG, and only gabapentin to sleep first night after full hysterectomy, then only ibuprofen. I have a pretty high pain tolerance and hate the way pain meds make me sick.

I will look into plastics after I get to goal weight and maintain a while- I hear tummy tucks are rough. Travel to MExico or Miami may be the way I decide to go, as I went to Mexico for VSG.

My problem is age. I am 71 and usual cutoff age is 70. I was approved for WLS RNY due to complications from band surgery. I am not looking forward to sagging skin & boobs. Yea they sag a bit now and I hate it. So I have WLS on 5/15, figure 8-12 months to look into plastics. Instead of a mommy makeover it will be a granny makeover. Hahaha