Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omg! I’m only on Day 2 of my 10 day pre-op diet and I’m struggling. Lots of tears and doubts today. I’ve been sad. I actually feel grief. I’ve heard about people “breaking up” with food and feeling the same symptoms of a relationship break up, but I had no idea how real it was. Plus, the headache both yesterday and today has been miserable. Why do I feel like what believe going through withdrawal feels? I’m not even feeling like I’m starving so much as I just feel alone and scared. I’ve journaled, I’ve talk to my surgery buddy that’s having her sleeve 2 weeks after me, I’ve watched Tic Toks for inspiration and motivation. But I’m still struggling. Anyone have any words to help me through this? I know (hope) this is going to pass in a couple days, but I wasn’t prepared for these intense feelings.

You are going through withdrawals. Sugar addiction cold turkey is a miserable thing (emotional and physical) but it's mercifully short. You'll feel better in a week or so. Just keep repeating to yourself "this isn't forever". 10 days is nothing. Over in the blink of an eye.

The pre-op diet is the worst bit. It's legendary in its awfulness. No fun, but essential to shrink that liver so your surgery is as safe as it can be. Distract yourself however you can with games, walks with podcasts/audio books, cleaning, aspirational wishlisting from clothing sites you've always wanted to shop from, focusing on the goal. Grit your teeth and soldier on. I had my pre-surgery nerves kick in on week 2, which actually helped because I couldn't sit still.

I was on a full liquid diet for two weeks before surgery (protein shakes) and found the first few days the hardest. I was also going through caffeine withdrawal, which gave me terrible headaches at first. It was pretty easy by week two. Rest assured that it will be easy to stick to your diet for a few months after surgery, because you won't feel like eating.

I totally understand your breakup with food. I binged on some of my favorite food the day before my pre-surgery diet. I'm now four years out and am eating more or less normally, although not in the same quantities nor the same unhealthy things I used to eat. I'm no longer tempted by my pre-surgery favorites and don't miss them.

I’m about eight weeks out and the withdrawals are real. The preop diet sends you through the physical withdrawals. After surgery you go through the mental withdrawals. Missing the pleasure of simply eating food in larger quantities, experiencing the tastes over and over, as opposed to simply having 5 to 6 ounces per meal is a real kick in the mental gut.

But the alternative is a life of being fat, increased, comorbidities, and a life of fat misery.

Does your surgery team offer any counseling? If so, it might be good to talk to someone. I know I am thinking about it myself due to the mourning and mental withdrawals of my food addictions.

It is my opinion, and just mine, that this represents the hardest part of this entire journey and is what ultimately leads to failure and the regaining of weight.

I wish you all the best as it is definitely worth it on the other side.

Great answers here. I actually got the stomach flu the first few days of my pre-op diet which was hell, but in some ways, an easier way to kickstart the process. The caffeine withdrawal sucks and I actually eased into that a bit pre-op (with approval from my nutritionist). But was fully off caffeine by surgery. Listen, this is a really tough process. It’s okay to be sad and scared and depressed. Remember tho your “whys”. Why are you doing it? Because if you stick with the program, it *will* result in weight loss and will change your life for the better. Some days will suck, especially at the beginning, but you can do this!

it's probably the carb withdrawal (and if you were a coffee drinker, caffeine withdrawal, too). The "Keto flu" is pretty common the first three or so days. Once your body goes into ketosis (around day 3 or 4), it does get a lot better. In addition to no- or very low calorie fluids (well, plus 4-5 Protein shakes), I was allowed V8/tomato juice and clear broth (I think a cup of each) every day, so I always had those since the sodium in them made me retain Water, which made me feel a little fuller, and I also ate sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello with abandon since they were the only things I could have that somewhat resembled real food. There were some days I'd make the Jello that came in the larger-size boxes and eat the whole damn thing!!! Anyway, you'll get through it - and it should ease up a bit in another day or two.

P.S. as others have said, the pre-op diet is the worst part of this whole thing. I was actually relieved the morning I was rolled into surgery because the godawful diet was OVER!! I found the progressive eating plan we go through after surgery (liquids, then purees, etc) way easier than that pre-op thing!!

Edited by catwoman7

I'm about a week into the pre-op diet, and it was ROUGH. But, it gets better. The headaches finally stopped, and today, I have barely thought about food. In fact, it's almost 4 pm right now, and I'm still sipping on lunch. A lunch, by the way, I forgot about eating. We even went to the grocery, and I was totally fine. The weird part was all the smells and food was actually calming. It gets better. Keep pushing through. YOU GOT THIS!!!

Day 2 is the worst. OK well maybe day 3. After that you'll be heading into ketosis and honestly it'll be a million times easier. It really really IS worth these horrendous few days to get out the other end, into surgery ,and then into your new life.

Please post plenty here, we have all been through it and yes it's AWFUL!! Do no on any account stray from the plan. Shout and wail all you like xx Cannot wait to hear about your losses after your surgery 😍

Thank you all! Day 3 has been a little better. Just a little headache that hasn’t even required Tylenol yet. I’m not starving, but definitely miss food and chewing! 😂 Can’t wait for the next phase!!!

Thank you all! Day 3 has been a little better. Just a little headache that hasn’t even required Tylenol yet. I’m not starving, but definitely miss food and chewing! 😂 Can’t wait for the next phase!!!

Just now, SleeveMeAlone23 said:

Good to hear things are getting better. Are you allowed sugar free gum? Might help the chewing.

Idk if I can have SF gum, but I don’t see why not. I can’t imagine it would hurt anything. I go in to the surgeon tomorrow to sign my consent and go over everything one last time, so I’ll ask him. Thanks for the tip, LindsayT! 💕