Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Planning on getting the sleeve

I am planning on getting the gastric sleeve and I was just wondering I would regret it. I’m 28 years old and over 320 lbs and I’m also an asthmatic

I got the bypass rather than the sleeve, but my answer would be the same regardless. The first few weeks post-surgery can be rough and some people initially do have regrets, but once they get through that, almost no one has regrets other than they wish they'd have done it sooner. Having this surgery changed (and probably saved) my life. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Best decision I've ever made!

My only regret is not having done it sooner. I was 34 when I had surgery and I wish I had done it a decade ago, when I first started thinking about it. It is incredibly hard, it takes a LOT of work, but it is the best thing I have ever done for myself and I'm so deeply grateful that I finally had the courage to do it.

As the other commenters have stated, the biggest regret is only that I didn't do it sooner. Yes, the first few weeks can be difficult (the gas pains for the first few days reallllly suck, but they will subside as you get up walking), however, it gets easier as time goes on. The ecstasy you will feel as the pound melt away will make everything worth it. More importantly, you will get healthier, and with any luck, your asthma may less or totally subside.

I wish wish wish I had had my sleeve when I was your age OP. I spent my entire adult life either dieting or eating what I wanted and feeling guilty. I can't think you will ever regret it if you do your research and go into the op fully prepared. Best of luck x

I was 372 when I went to get a consult. The doctor recommended the sleeve and Ive tried hard to do everything they asked. I’ve lost 165 lbs total, since my consult in Nov, ‘21, and 115 in the 11 months since my surgery. I’m 75% of my way to my goal. My only regret is not doing it earlier. It is hard, there will be struggles and regret in the short term but if I knew at 26 what I know now, I’d do it in a heartbeat and save myself 30 years of being unhappy and unable to fully enjoy life.

I’m 25 years old and just got my sleeve in November. I have no regrets thus far. Like others mentioned, the first few weeks were ROUGH so it’s important to have support - whether it be friends, family, therapist.

Thank you everyone that commented. I’ve been looking up recipes and liquids for the first two weeks. I also asked my friends if they have any Soup recipes to shoot them my way.. i have a doctors appointment coming up to see what my next steps are.