Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Easy Protein Snacks

I'm looking for easy Protein Snacks to buy or make, like greek yogurts, cheese sticks, turkey jerky... extra points if it's grab-and-go style!

I keep my pantry and fridge full of grab and go options! Any low sugar Greek yogurt (I like siggis, two good, oikos triple zero), two good smoothies, bel gioso individual cheeses, cottage cheese cups, individual nut packs, Whisps, Chomps, hilo chips, egg bites, Protein One bars. I always keep a pack of Protein Shakes in my trunk for emergencies!

There are these little Protein packs called P3 at the grocery stores that have some cubed lean meat and cheese plus some nuts like cashews or peanuts. Some of the nuts are covered in chocolate for a little sweet. Each one has 11g of protein. My hubby is really picky, but he loves Quest protein chips. Each little bag has 20g of protein! He says the nacho cheese ones taste better than Doritos 😊

Also love Good Culture cottage cheese cups with fruit, Oikos triple zero yogurt and hard boiled eggs, egg bites etc.

Honestly if you can stay away from ultra processed foods then do - forever! In emergencies we all need to grab the least bad option but for every day if you can get tubs full of proper home cooked from scratch food that you can eat throughout the day lined up, then I think that's preferable. At the minute I have in the fridge: leftover roast dinner from today (one cup servings) x 2, fish pie from yesterday x 1 and spag bol from the day before x 1. I do these up on a rolling basis depending on what I'm cooking for my family. I eat two leftover things late morning and early afternoon and then cook today's thing for dinner - that then makes me leftovers for the following days.

I like getting a high Protein nonfat Greek yogurt (I use fage nonfat), putting in some organic unsweetened cocoa (I use Cocoavia cardio health), and mixing in sugar free maple Syrup (I use Maple Grove farms no sugar syrup) to sweeten it. Tastes so good. I wish I knew about this recipe when I was in the puree stage but I just recently found it somewhere on the net. I don't even remember where.

Yes to the high Protein yoghurt. And you can make it into your own yoghurt drink by blending with milk. cheese & boiled eggs are also handy.

Like @Spinoza, I try to avoid medium & high processed foods & I love leftovers. My freezer is full of them. Easy meals - just add vegetables. Made a 5 egg omelette yesterday (with mushrooms, tomatoes, celery, capsicum, mozzarella, basil, prosciutto). Ate a third for lunch & will eat the rest today & tomorrow. Just reheat in the microwave. I do have a packets of baked fava Beans & chick peas in my cupboard. I rarely if ever eat them except they are handy if travelling. I always throw some in my bag when I stay with my mum though I still don’t always eat them.

Make up a batch of the savoury egg muffins. Dice vegetables, cheese, meat (chicken, bacon, tuna, etc.) or whatever of your choice and add to a half cup muffin pan. Whisk up 8 eggs, salt, pepper. Pour over the meat & vegetables. Bake moderate oven about 30 mins. Freeze & reheat in a microwave. Easy. These are the ones I made with home made caramelised onion, feta, mushrooms, pancetta. Eat two for a meal or one as a snack.

F9668CBB-5110-4F0C-9AE8-519247D5445B.thumb.jpeg.fc85110fcad61dd25e1f59f04c93e144.jpeg

I like Epic Bars as a quick Protein snack (they're kind of like a cross between a Protein Bar and jerky/meat Snacks, they're made of meat but they're softer and easier to digest than something like a Slim Jim and are a lot more natural, I especially love the bison and cranberry flavor). My go-to around the house is cottage cheese and yogurt as well, but having to be refrigerated and needing a spoon makes it harder to be truly "portable". I also like to pack slices of ham or turkey rolled up with half a slice of cheese in my lunch, sometimes with a little cup of dressing or some kind of spread to dip them in like mustard. (Plain yellow or brown mustard has, like, no calories!)

I'm going to agree with whomever said upthread to try to eat whole foods as opposed to convenience items; a lot of "high protein" items out there are formulated to be Keto friendly so they're also going to have a lot of fat in them too which can raise the calorie count to a point where you'd be better off probably eating a small, proper meal as opposed to treating a 300 calorie "protein cookie" as a snack.

Moon Cheese

Panino Roll Ups - I like the peperoni the best

P3 Protein Snacks

Two Good Yogurt smoothies

chicken Jerky

meat Sticks

I eat a hard boiled egg, or one once of meat, or a meatball. Lately I have put 1oz of walnut and 1 oz of blueberries in a toddler size container to have after work to avoid the “hangry.” Recently I cooked up some ground buffalo and mixed in some marinara, then stuffed it into some pre steamed mini peppers. Roughly it was 1 oz of meat per pepper, I only measured my 20 grams of Protein needed, then stuffed the peppers with it. It was a colorful meal, but leftovers were great as a meal or snack! I absolutely love @Arabesque ‘s egg dishes and will try them!

On 4/2/2023 at 4:22 PM, Spinoza said:

Honestly if you can stay away from ultra processed foods then do - forever! In emergencies we all need to grab the least bad option but for every day if you can get tubs full of proper home cooked from scratch food that you can eat throughout the day lined up, then I think that's preferable. At the minute I have in the fridge: leftover roast dinner from today (one cup servings) x 2, fish pie from yesterday x 1 and spag bol from the day before x 1. I do these up on a rolling basis depending on what I'm cooking for my family. I eat two leftover things late morning and early afternoon and then cook today's thing for dinner - that then makes me leftovers for the following days.

Great ideas and sounds delicious, but what about for those who:

1. Are extremely busy to "cook from scratch" and

2. Really really despise cooking? I am one of these ppl 😖🙄

I think that's why there is the requests for snacks/recipes/ideas the OP asked about. The easiest for me is a version of Starbucks egg bites, I can make up 10 of them quickly using low fat healthy substitutes and adding whey Protein in about 15 mins! There are numerous recipes out there for them which allows for different combos so they don't become tedious.

They're quick, portable and full of protein and heat up nicely wherever you find a microwave!

7 hours ago, BlondePatriotinCDA said:

Great ideas and sounds delicious, but what about for those who:

1. Are extremely busy to "cook from scratch" and

2. Really really despise cooking? I am one of these ppl 😖🙄

I think that's why there is the requests for snacks/recipes/ideas the OP asked about. The easiest for me is a version of Starbucks egg bites, I can make up 10 of them quickly using low fat healthy substitutes and adding whey Protein in about 15 mins! There are numerous recipes out there for them which allows for different combos so they don't become tedious.

They're quick, portable and full of Protein and heat up nicely wherever you find a microwave!

The veggie egg bites from Dunkin are also excellent if you ever find yourself somewhere there is no Starbucks. Similar calorie count, too.