Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling frustrated and demoralized

Here is my story. I spent years stuck at 210 (I am 5’2) and thousands of dollars on personal trainers, nutritionists etc. watched and recorded everything I ate to no avail and of coarse the only scale movement would be I ate a cookie and gained two pounds. Meanwhile I began collecting every co morbidity - sleep apnea, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes , sever scaring on my liver. After two seperate per ate unsuccessful medically supervised diets I was advised gastric bypass was my best bet. I lot 10 lbs in the lead up (5 days a week of boot camp and strength training and Keto diet). I lost another 20 lbs on the per-op liquid diet. Had surgery on March 29th. Lost 5 lbs in the first two days and have had no movement since. Walking 3 times a day at 30 minutes each. Drinking 70 oz of Water and at least 90 g of Protein plus all of the supplements. I know there is a three week stall but I am on a 3 day stall (at the time when weight loss is suppose to be the easiest). This was my last hope and I am starting to feel hopeless.

It’s so soon after surgery that you are surely still feeling the effects of Fluid retention and inflammation. Also weight loss will be the easiest the the first 12 months post op (not the first 3 days) so don’t lose hope.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/weight-gain-after-surgery

https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/main-reasons-for-weight-gain-after-surgery/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5389231/

I’m confused. When did you have surgery? March 29th was yesterday.

If you had surgery March 29th... how? what?

If I did the math right, you went into surgery weighing 190. I’m not sure what your expectations are regarding the speed of weight loss after surgery, but it’s safe to say they might be a bit unrealistic. Your anatomy was just rearranged, your body is in shock trying to heal and all of this is happening while taking in very few calories. The hospital will pump you full of fluids that can take a days to release, plus you’re inflamed and probably haven’t had a decent bowel movement yet if it’s only been three days. Take a step back, breathe and remember that surgery isn’t a switch that turns on fat release. It’s much more complicated than that. This entire process is life altering, so take it one day at a time and read up on the posts provided by @GreenTealael. It’s gonna be okay! You WILL lose the weight because it sounds like you’re following the program. Just give your mind and body more time. 🧬

Looking at some of your other posts, it looks like you had surgery 3/20, is that correct? Regardless, as others have said, its far too early for you to have significant loss post-op and you may need to reassess your expectations. Those first few weeks immediately after surgery your body is putting all its energy into healing from major surgery. You need to be patient and consistent above all else. The right will come off in its own time.

I know its frustrating - we have all struggled with the "hurry up and wait" of weight loss - but truly, this is a marathon not a sprint. Stick to your plan and give it time.

I agree with what everyone has said. You are doing so well in regards to meeting Protein & fluid goals. Many of us take weeks to actually reach them regularly. I wonder if you are doing a little too much physically this soon after surgery? It’s a pretty major surgery & while walking is great 30mins is a lot in one hit. It may be stressing & pushing your body too much while it’s trying to heal & recover. Try spreading the 30mins out over the day: 2x 15 or 3x 10. Everyone is different of course. Personally if I walked for 30 minutes the first two weeks (or longer) I wouldn’t have been able to move for the rest of the day.

All the best.

I am so sorry you are suffering this frustration. I applaud you fortitude and urge you not to give up. We are all different and react individually. Maybe you are not getting enough sustenance and you should speak with your doc. Our bodies will think we are starving and fight weight loss if we are not getting enough nutrition.

I didn’t lose anything the first 11 days after surgery. I’m now 8 months post op and down 101.5 pounds. It just takes time. Hang in there!