Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting so frustrated, 7 months out and almost 2 months stalled

I know stalls are normal, but man I am getting pissed at this point. I hit 7 months on March 17th, but I have been in a stall for almost 2 months.

I have tried eating carbs then going back to no carbs. I tried upping the calories. I upped my exercise(and gained 2 lbs). I have no idea what else to do.

So what other things have worked for people to get over a long term stall. 🤬

We all go through them and yes they are frustrating! I keep trying new things, tracking, more veggies, less exercise, heavier weights. My last stall busted because I started higher Iron supplements. Another stall busted because I needed more sleep. One stall busted when I went to Great Wolf lodge and had fish and went swimming. Only you can crack the code. It takes patience and weight loss is a massive head game. Just keep tracking and doing what your center says. A quarter cup of dry cheerios to snack set me back. Keep measuring and moving, you will get there. You’ve moved past the honeymoon stage and it’s hard work, but weigh loss still happens up to 2 years out!

I can totally relate. I've been on an extended stall for almost 3 months now. The weight loss is minimal to none at all. But I read somewhere that the rate of weight loss will decrease as you get closer to target. I noticed that I've started to lose weight again after I started fasting since last week. I hope it is not just Water loss. I'm targeting to come out at least 5 kg less after the end of the fasting month.

It can be frustrating but our bodies have their own way to adjust. Have you noticed any changes on the sizes? My measurements have gone down despite not losing weight.

two months is long for a stall - you may have thrown yourself in maintenance. Have you tried cutting back on overall calories?

EDITED TO ADD: If you were under 200 lbs - (you're 5'10", so pretty tall), I'd guess that it was probably because you're close to your new set point. But if your current weight on your profile is correct, you could still potentially drop quite a few lbs. I'd cut back on calories and see if that does anything.

Edited by catwoman7

13 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

two months is long for a stall - you may have thrown yourself in maintenance. Have you tried cutting back on overall calories?

EDITED TO ADD: If you were under 200 lbs - (you're 5'10", so pretty tall), I'd guess that it was probably because you're close to your new set point. But if your current weight on your profile is correct, you could still potentially drop quite a few lbs. I'd cut back on calories and see if that does anything.

I am no where near maintenance, I am doing a fast for a few days to see if that helps.

9 hours ago, Jeanniebug said:

Are you getting enough Water?

I am upping that. I don't think I could drink anything more than I am, but I 'm going to try.

May be have a chat with your dietician & see if they have any ideas. Stalls are your body’s response to the stress of your weight loss & adjusting to the changes. I wonder if doing short fasts, increasing/decreasing calories & changing calorie sources may be adding to the stress. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ve read that stalls are an important part of weight loss as they allow your body to reset your hunger hormones & metabolism to what you need at a lower weight.

Have you tried going back to the pre surgery diet or the post surgery days 1-14 after surgery. it may help get you back on track. I'm only 4 going on 5 months and have stalled and what worked for me is to returning to high Protein liquids for a 2 weeks. its kind of a rest for my body and then i can start trying to east solids again and get back to regulars healthy eating.

That's so frustrating, almost everything I was going to reccomend you mentioned you already do! The only thing I'd add is focusing on upping your Protein intake maybe?

I’m nearly 9 month post op and have been stuck between 89.15kg and 89.85 kg for about 6 weeks. Getting paranoid that I’m eating too much:/ I’m tracking my calories and it varies between 1800-2000 a day. Does anyone else find there restriction is more known on certain foods like meats etc?

11 hours ago, qtdoll said:

That's so frustrating, almost everything I was going to reccomend you mentioned you already do! The only thing I'd add is focusing on upping your Protein intake maybe?

I just started adding a lower calorie Protein to my coffee throughout the day, just to hit a higher amount... I'm hoping that works, next step would be a week of liquids.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:12 PM, Narmato1 said:

By fasting? Do you mean intermittent fasting?

No, I actually used to fast for 48 hours at a clip. I am going to do a 48 hour reset and see how that goes. I already use IF. It is a great tool, but I am just stuck.

Honestly, what works for me is 1 day where I consume more calories then usual. I eat foods that are healthy but higher in calories (butter in my eggs, a bigger portion of avocado, 2% milk vs skim, etc) so it isn't like a day of pizza and burgers. LOL. This has always worked for me both pre and post op. There is a lot of info about this online. It basically tricks my body and I usually have a nice loss after.