Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nutrition Goals - Unrealistic with food?

I am almost 5 weeks post-op, and am frustrated. I joined another site to help me track my foods, and yesterday I consumed less than 300 calories for a whole day and was nowhere near my Protein goals. Last week I was able to make some egg whites and I had a 1,000 calorie day and felt like that was too much. My dietician told me to aim for 700 per day, with a minimum of 80g of protein. I feel like there's no consistency.

Yall, I am really struggling. Do I need to go back to my liquid diet where I was getting all my protein? I've been at a stall for almost 2 weeks and don't see my dietician again until mid-April.

50 minutes ago, Victoria_Faith said:

I am almost 5 weeks post-op, and am frustrated. I joined another site to help me track my foods, and yesterday I consumed less than 300 calories for a whole day and was nowhere near my Protein goals. Last week I was able to make some egg whites and I had a 1,000 calorie day and felt like that was too much. My dietician told me to aim for 700 per day, with a minimum of 80g of Protein. I feel like there's no consistency.

Yall, I am really struggling. Do I need to go back to my liquid diet where I was getting all my protein? I've been at a stall for almost 2 weeks and don't see my dietician again until mid-April.

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. So, no help here but commiseration. I find it very difficult to break 600 calories and I am three months out. Met with my nutritionist last week and the only advice she really had was "you have to eat more protein". I don't know if anyone other than wls patients understand how hard that can be.

You are doing so well. I really struggled to get Protein in too, its tough in the beginning. The advice I was given was just do my best every day. You will loose your stamina if you don't keep your calorie count but you have a few weeks grace yet. Eating high protein yogurts and drinking a shake a day should give you 50 grams of protein. This is a great boost of energy and if you choose wisely, low cal too. At the end of my day, I total my protein, using a app and if I am short I have some cheese, skimmed milk or a protein pudding. It will all get easier in the weeks to come

8 hours ago, Victoria_Faith said:

I am almost 5 weeks post-op, and am frustrated. I joined another site to help me track my foods, and yesterday I consumed less than 300 calories for a whole day and was nowhere near my Protein goals. Last week I was able to make some egg whites and I had a 1,000 calorie day and felt like that was too much. My dietician told me to aim for 700 per day, with a minimum of 80g of Protein. I feel like there's no consistency.

700 would be the very minimum to aim for. 300 is way too low. Your body needs fuel. You may find it easier to to have a combination of fluids and and soft foods until you can see the dietician. There is no one size fits all. Just do the best you can. At five weeks you are still healing and finding your way. I found that baked Beans or soft scrambled eggs (including the yolks) was a tasty way to get my protein in. Warmed Tomato juice and added my own Protein Powder.

Stalls will happen along the way. Do yourself a favor and stay off the scales.

I feel your frustration OP. Hitting your stride can be really difficult. My advice 5 weeks out would be to try to hit your Fluid goal and your Protein goal as many days as you can, and to let everything else fall into place around those.

Don't fret too much about calories at your stage - you are unlikely to be able to physically get enough in to gain weight, or even be close to maintaining your current weight - you are programmed to lose right now. Be mindful of everything you take in and aim to form habits for a new and healthy life. I wish you the very best of luck.

Edited by Spinoza
typo

Focus on eating your Protein first then allowed vegetables. There were times I’d eat my protein only & nothing else for a meal. Many do continue to supplement their diet with Protein Shakes or add protein powders to their coffee, Soups, yoghurt, etc. I found the shakes awful so I found a good high protein yoghurt & yoghurt drink (you can make your own drink by blending yoghurt & milk). And as a bonus more Fluid (not the yoghurt of course).

Don’t worry if you don’t hit that protein goal at first or every day. It’s not easy when our portions are so small in the early stages. As long as you’re close & making an effort. Remember you are taking Multivitamins too at the moment which help you get the Vitamins & minerals in you need. You should be having regular blood tests which will highlight if you are low in anything.

I was a low calorie person (only got to about 900 at 6 months & my goal) - wasn’t hungry & couldn't eat more. But do check with your dietician as we all have different needs & the change as we continue to lose.

PS - Stalls are common & part of the process. Just keep to your plan & ride through it. It will break. They often last 1-3 weeks with the first starting around week 3+/- so you’re right on track.

Are you using a good tracking App? Baritastic is the best I found. You can set your goals.

I found that I had to actually prep and track for the first 6 months to get the hang of it, but now I just do it out of habit, It will get easier.

Yeah don't drop your Protein shakes! I'm 6mos out & I still use those to hit my protein goals. They make life much easier

I’m in the same situation. I’m 24 days post op in purée stage. I can’t seem to eat more than 1.5 to 2 oz with Snacks and meals, most of it Proteins. My calorie intake is 300 and my Fluid intake is not what it was since now I have to stop drinking 30 min before and 30’min after every meal. Whereas prior to “food” I was drinking all day. We will get it - it will get easier :)

I'm going on 5months and i still use my portion shakes. most days i only use one but often I find myself having two shakes to hit Protein goal. pick shakes with as high of a protean amount as possible. i look for shakes with 390 grams or more. you can also add collagen peptides to your yogurts which will help with protein as well. yogurt is a big go to for me for Snacks, its hard juggling between solids and liquids. while trying to hit protein goals. My nutritionist told me to focus on protein and liquids intake goals that everyone body is different so we wont all hit the same stages collectively.

Check with your dietician about counting collagen as Protein @Fitnewme327. It’s not a complete protein (doesn’t include all the necessary amino acids) & many say you can’t count it.

Try siping through the night to help get your fluids in @Celesteb192. I always keep a bottle or large glass beside my bed. Sip when I get into bed, sip after every couple of pages I read, sip before & after every time I get up to pee - which is often 😁, etc. (I can do more than sip now of course but really it’s just a single ordinary swallow.) I get in about another 300mls - 10ozs.

And yes it does get easier to the point it’s more just habit.

I found that going on walks helped me get to my next meal/“feel” hunger again (in whatever way we feel hunger now) - and so I go out on walks 2x/day now and have really enjoyed it.

Also going on a routine where I wake up and after getting ready for the day, I start with my Protein Drink, then my next meal is a stage-appropriate meal like Greek yogurt with cinnamon, Kefir, or refried Beans, etc. etc. Then Protein drink again, then ending the day with food. And as I progress, a snack if needed. But the routine of it has helped me get more than enough protein, following my diet plan.