Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS and hormone struggles

Does anyone else with PCOS find that there still seems to be a struggle with weightloss?

Background for me: I started at 220ish lost 6lbs during the pre surgery diet and lost about 19 lbs since surgery.

When I talked to my surgeon yesterday she said it sounds like I'm doing the right things but she did agree that most people would be down a lot more. She wants to look at my gallbladder since I have been having trouble holding down food like chicken specifically so maybe there is something there.

But I feel like the point of the surgery was I was struggling to lose weight on my own. I thought PCOS was making that harder and it felt like everyone and their mother suggested WLS for me to help and now I feel like it's failing.

My doc didn't really seem to want to give nutritional guidance besides hitting 60g of Protein and 60oz of Water. She is more concerned with me holding food down which is understandable but my focus is this weight.

Is there something I should be doing that maybe PCOS patients need to adjust compared to "normal" patients?

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

45 minutes ago, lexylynn92 said:

Does anyone else with PCOS find that there still seems to be a struggle with weightloss?

Background for me: I started at 220ish lost 6lbs during the pre surgery diet and lost about 19 lbs since surgery.

When I talked to my surgeon yesterday she said it sounds like I'm doing the right things but she did agree that most people would be down a lot more. She wants to look at my gallbladder since I have been having trouble holding down food like chicken specifically so maybe there is something there.

But I feel like the point of the surgery was I was struggling to lose weight on my own. I thought PCOS was making that harder and it felt like everyone and their mother suggested WLS for me to help and now I feel like it's failing.

My doc didn't really seem to want to give nutritional guidance besides hitting 60g of Protein and 60oz of Water. She is more concerned with me holding food down which is understandable but my focus is this weight.

Is there something I should be doing that maybe PCOS patients need to adjust compared to "normal" patients?

One of the things you need to be is patient. It does not fall off over night. Now you have spoken to your surgeon you need to look at what you are eating. You didnt mention how far out you are and Water and Protein as well as PORTION go hand in hand. If you are not getting enough water and protein your body will return to starvation mode and hold on to fat. You mentioned "holding food down". If you are drinking when you are eating that is one thing you need to stop. Get a 20-30 minute timer and use it for your eating and drinking. If you are fairly new post op then you need to be taking 20 min at a minimum to eat. Then wait 20-30 min before you drink. EAT SLOW...i have always been a fast eater and large bites and this was my focus. Stay off the scale. its more defeating than it needs to be. Weigh in at your appointments only. I am a nurse and I love to research things. I found this for you to read. This indicates that bariatric surgery should be considered in helping PCOS sufferers that are struggling with obesity. I think you need to look at your patterns and habits first. Keep a diary and log your food. You will be as surprised as I was!! Be kind to yourself, this is not a race, its a life changing event that takes work and commitment. Take it one day at a time. Things like sugar free popsicles count as water too as does sugar free Jello.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7538203/

There is more research that needs to be done in this area of course. But Obesity and insulin resistance feeds PCOS. In a nutshell gist of the article is "Surgery successfully mediates the regression of PCOS"

Edited by TRAVELRN

I have Pcos as well. Now, I was told this surgery may eliminate the pcos all together. I am 4 weeks post Op from the sleeve. Now, the good thing is doing this we cut all that bad stuff out of our diet. So, my advice is to just follow the surgeons message and wait. Trust me I am too. But, this will work its proven too. We got this!

Sent from my LM-Q730 using BariatricPal mobile app

One of the things you need to be is patient. It does not fall off over night. Now you have spoken to your surgeon you need to look at what you are eating. You didnt mention how far out you are and Water and Protein as well as PORTION go hand in hand. If you are not getting enough water and protein your body will return to starvation mode and hold on to fat. You mentioned "holding food down". If you are drinking when you are eating that is one thing you need to stop. Get a 20-30 minute timer and use it for your eating and drinking. If you are fairly new post op then you need to be taking 20 min at a minimum to eat. Then wait 20-30 min before you drink. EAT SLOW...i have always been a fast eater and large bites and this was my focus. Stay off the scale. its more defeating than it needs to be. Weigh in at your appointments only. I am a nurse and I love to research things. I found this for you to read. This indicates that bariatric surgery should be considered in helping PCOS sufferers that are struggling with obesity. I think you need to look at your patterns and habits first. Keep a diary and log your food. You will be as surprised as I was!! Be kind to yourself, this is not a race, its a life changing event that takes work and commitment. Take it one day at a time. Things like sugar free popsicles count as water too as does sugar free Jello.< br> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7538203/
There is more research that needs to be done in this area of course. But Obesity and insulin resistance feeds PCOS. In a nutshell gist of the article is "Surgery successfully mediates the regression of PCOS"

Thanks for your response and the links. I am about 5 weeks out.
I am typically a fast eater but I use a bariatric app now to time my eating. (Which felt so silly until I realized I needed to take more time)

I track everything less for the calories
and more to make sure I hit that protein goal so I know I am usually hitting the 60g or slightly surpassing it for 3 weeks straight now.
Fluids was a struggle and hitting 60oz is hard for me. I get into that range most days like it might come out 50ish oz a day on average for the past two weeks so maybe that is the problem (I did admit this to my doctor as well)

I don't drink at all after eating I figured out quickly that was a ticket to barftown.
Meats are just not my friend. chicken specifically my stomach just automatically rejects it in any form including pureed. Fish will stay down but I'm only gonna get a couple of bites from that. Most my protein is coming from eggs, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and Protein Shakes. So I think when I said that to my surgeon that was her red flag for gallbladder but I guess I'll find that out in April.

I am not on the strict only three meals a day routine they set for me and my surgeon is okay with that because I'm only getting a few bites for meal times unless it straight up broth then I can do 4oz. I kind of just eat every 4 hours and use a food scale to figure out how much I ate each time.

However reading your post I think maybe I'll stay away from the scale until I can hit the water goal more consistently.

My next appointment is 6 weeks out (I don't think I can wait until then to see where I am because if I step on that scale six weeks later and I'm still 199 my heart will just shatter) and because I go through the VA I think that might be my last or I have to pay out of pocket so I am panicking more that I'm not on track. Like if I was progressing better I would feel more confident without that support and I know when I only have the VA to lean on then I am pretty much on my own no one is going to help me trouble shoot there.

I believe it can slow your rate of loss. There are a few here that have PCOS & were slow losers too so don’t give up. Some people are slow losers & didn’t have PCOS - it’s just how our individual bodies work. 19lbs in about 6 weeks is still a decent achievement. I always say Celebrate every pound.

Keep following your plan & tracking your food. You will eventually get to a weight you’re happier at.

P.S. chicken often causes people problems at first. (So can eggs + beef). It’s usually temporary & because it can be very dry & coarse. Try thigh instead & use lots of gravies & sauces etc. to keep it & all meats moist.

Some Protein may be hard at first, and some days one thing will work. But the next it won't.

I was going to be referred to an endo for PCOS, but since I was going to go ahead with the surgery I ended up not going. Everyone is different and loses at different rates, try not to compare yourself to others. I know its hard but once you get past that you are able to see how else you are improving. It can be measurements, energy, regular cycles, better sleep etc.

The weight will come off, just keep track of your protein amd Water intake.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app