Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shake interchangeable with water?

I'm 5 days post-op and basically just getting started with my Water intake because I've been in the hospital this whole time (I caught the flu the day after my surgery). My doctor says all she cares about is me getting my water in, but try Protein Shakes if I can. Well, with the 1 million meds I need to take and all the puking and diarrhea I've had - I REALLY need the nutrition. She told me that the shakes count towards the liquids to reach my goal - does that mean I can alternate between a sip of water, sip of shake, sip of water, etc? Or do I have to wait 15 mins between each substance? I ask because the shakes make me thirsty and I can only handle about 3 sips of shake per day before I get grossed out. It's been a tough recovery. 😢

My nutritionist said not to be too concerned with spacing out my Protein Shakes and Water, that I mainly wanted to space out liquids and puree/soft/solid foods.

I'd definitely recommend some of the Protein "shakes" that are more juice like. I used premier's juice, but I liked Isopure's dry mix more. I just ordered some Seeq to try out. I'll put links below. While I didn't fully replace my protein shakes, these helped me reach my protein goal because they went down easier than the shakes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FHPGS4V?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k0_1_7&amp=&crid=2Y2J26BZOXYAY&amp=&sprefix=isopure

https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Protein-Clear-Tropical-Bottle/dp/B07B9DYMTX/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2UCN2GYT3NC6U&keywords=premier+protein+water&qid=1679427917&s=hpc&sprefix=premier+protein+wat%2Chpc%2C200&sr=1-1

https://seeqsupply.com/products/mango-pineapple

My doctor and nutritionist said that anything other than Water only counts as half the ounces.

So 10 OZ water = 10 oz...

10 Oz Protein Shake (or anything besides water) = 5 oz water...

So keep that in mind to avoid getting dehydrated.

I'll tell you a tip that really helped me get in enough water--- Good ice chips:)

8 oz ice chips = 4 oz Water

I prefer the ice chips at Sonic- perfect for enjoying ice chips. A Route 44 cup of ice = 22 ounces of water.

Also sugar free popsicles will really help you out- so helpful, soothing and yummy.

Hope this helps.

Sorry it's been so rough! I had 24 hours of puking around 4 post-op and it was terrible, so my heart goes out to you. I hope your recovery starts snowballing now and a week from today you feel *normal*🤗

My plan counts Protein Drinks and Soups towards liquids 100%. ( And for the record my "output" has been regular and the right color and whatnot, so I've not had reason to second guess it). I didn't love premeir protein's clear, but I could keep down propel (the individual sticks) either in hot Water or well-watered down. I also love LonoLife powdered Bone Broth, it has 10 grams of Protein and just settled really well. Lastly, a Protein Drink (fairlife or premeir), 8 oz of skim Fairlife milk, and then 8 oz of Decaf coffee has really been helping me get down protein (43 grams) and Fluid (~32 oz). It just seems to settle better than a straight up protein drink. It just takes a couple hours to drink, but I don't mind sipping on it that long 😅

Lastly, I did try mixing some powdered pb or regular pb into a blended shake because my plan okayed that. That can bump up calories 👍 I just need to taste something different/different consistency, so I haven't done it again. There were a few days there everything tastes weird and nasty, but thankfully that has gone for the most part!

56 minutes ago, Tink22-sleeve said:

I'll tell you a tip that really helped me get in enough water--- Good ice chips:)

8 oz ice chips = 4 oz Water

I prefer the ice chips at Sonic- perfect for enjoying ice chips. A Route 44 cup of ice = 22 ounces of Water.

Also sugar free popsicles will really help you out- so helpful, soothing and yummy.

Hope this helps.

To piggyback on this comment, an FYI. You can buy bags of ice from sonic. They used to be $2 but are probably more now.

Sorry you’ve been battling. I was told all liquids count towards your Fluid intake: shakes, broth, cream Soup, tea, etc. (not chunky Soups when you’re able that’s just bonus liquid). I diluted all my shakes & soups to make them more palatable & extra fluid. I’d sip the shake or broth, etc. ‘meal’ until it was finished & waited 30 minutes before & after before sipping the non food/meal Water or tea. Actually, I think I only waited about 20 minutes then while on liquids.

I found the shakes hideous too so maybe give the bone broths or other consommés (strained won ton soup or pho) a try. I’d hold off on the cream soups & drinking yoghurts until you’ve recovered from the flu. Try some Protein water too.

Hope you feel better soon.

I never waited 15 minutes (or whatever) between Fluid A and fluid B. They're all just fluids and they go right through you. Waiting to drink after eating is so the food doesn't wash out of your stomach before you feel full (or at least, not hungry), but a shake is going to move through pretty quickly.

I've always counted Protein Shakes toward my Water goal. Actually, I count all non-caffeinated beverages toward my water goal (although some people count coffee, too).

22 hours ago, Jillian K8 said:

I'm 5 days post-op and basically just getting started with my Water intake because I've been in the hospital this whole time (I caught the flu the day after my surgery). My doctor says all she cares about is me getting my Water in, but try Protein Shakes if I can. Well, with the 1 million meds I need to take and all the puking and diarrhea I've had - I REALLY need the nutrition. She told me that the shakes count towards the liquids to reach my goal - does that mean I can alternate between a sip of water, sip of shake, sip of water, etc? Or do I have to wait 15 mins between each substance? I ask because the shakes make me thirsty and I can only handle about 3 sips of shake per day before I get grossed out. It's been a tough recovery. 😢

you really need to fluids and possibly electrolytes. I am hoping they are monitoring you properly. As a nurse that is the one thing that many mess up on.

keep in mind the signs and symptoms of dehydration-sorry i am a nurse and its habit

dizzy or light headedness

headache

tiredness

dry mouth, lips and eyes

and passing small amounts of urine less than three to four times per day. if you go 8 hours w/out urinating you need to call your doc. you may need IV infusion.

Find sugarfree pedialyte try that small sips (30 mL-use one of the med cups that come with liquid meds thats 30 mL) every 15 min. TRY to get some Protein in you. doesnt need to be a shake. sugar free popsicles and Jello are good alternatives.