Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Sleeved 2017

I was sleeved 08/2017. It's been a constant struggle. I was told by the surgeon that I wasn't progressing as well compared to others. That my sleeve is bigger than he wanted & my metabolism is slow & I needed to work harder. I do have severe GERD but I have learned to work around that. I found out I have tachycardia. Also then & even worse now mobility issues. I couldn't vigorously exercise due to having grade 4 Osteoarthritis in my left knee. I stuck to the program & went from 323 to 223. I stalled & went into a deep depression. I wasn't losing unless I ate 800 calories or less. I gained all of my weight back due to decreased mobility & depression. I fell off the wagon per say. I now need a hip & knee replacement plus my right knee is almost just as bad as my left. I'm in chronic pain. For me to have surgery I need to lose weight. Nobody would do the surgery a few years ago when I was thinner stating I'm too young blah, blah. My quality of life has dwindled the last 2 years and I gained it all back plus 20lbs. For the last 8 weeks I have been using my fitness Pal to login my food diary. I'm eating every 3-4 hrs mini meals. Substituting 2-3 meals with Protein shakes/bars to obtain my protein goal. I would lose weight 1 week than the next gain back & forth. I don't understand. In 8 weeks I've lost 12lbs. I went from 343 to 328 to yo-yo 331. I have experimented & it doesn't seem to matter if I eat 800 calories or 1000 or under 1200. I gain/lose weight. I always eat no more than 1200 and no less than 800. Does anyone have any tips. At this point I am beyond frustrated.

Sent from my LM-G710 using BariatricPal mobile app

So sorry you are experiencing this. I think you need to find another bariatric surgeon & discuss your options. A revision to bypass will help you lose more weight (maybe not a lot but some) so yiu can look into knee replacement surgery in the future & it certainly will help with your gerd.

You can not survive on shakes & Protein Bars. Besides not getting the nutrients your body needs to function effectively, the low calorie diet will be slowing your metabolism down more.

You did lose 100lbs. That’s almost a third of yourself. That’s something to Celebrate. Remember the average weight loss is about 65% of the weight you have to lose to put you in a healthier weight range. So, not knowing your height or what would be your healthier weight, I’d expect you may have been pretty close to that statistic. So your stall, which are very common & can occur many times, may have been you reaching your new weight set point & stabilising.

I find it ironic that your surgeon complained your sleeve was too big. I mean they did the surgery so if the sleeve is too big that’s on them not you.

Hello, thank you for your feedback. I am 5ft 5in. I've considered a revision to bypass. I'm very concerned with the side effects afterwards. I have the Gerd under control for the most part. I stay a way from things that trigger horrible symptoms. I aspirated 3 years ago due to Gerd & almost died from pneumonia. I now have 2 spots on my right lung due to Gerd. They did the upper GI test 4 years & when I eat the food creeps up slowly than goes back down. I eat slowly anyway thank goodness. I don't have dumping syndrome. Do you have any tips on getting my metabolism to work? I can't exercise due to my chronic pain, mobility and balance issues. My left hip & knee is bone on bone. I use a cane to ambulate and can't stand more than 5 min without severe pain. I've been suffering since 45 & things have gotten worse the last 2 years. Now I'm 49 with no quality of life.

Usually they say to boost your metabolism you should exercise more, weight train, sleep more, eat more Protein, drink more Water, drink green tea, eat spicy food, eat regularly & don’t skip meals.

You likely still are drinking lots of water & getting in lots of protein. I’ve been drinking green tea for 20 years - never helped me lose weight. 🤷🏻‍♀️ You can’t exercise but can you do some upper body weights or resistance band exercises? You could do these sitting down so no strain on your hip or knee. Spicy food would stir up your gerd so that’s a no - it certainly stirs up my reflux.

I try to keep my metabolism burning by eating regularly( meals & snacks) which I never did before (was a big meal skipper). I don’t exercise as such just do stretches & use some resistance bands but it all helps.

What is it about bypass that specifically concerns you? Maybe some with bypass will share their experiences & alleviate some of your worries about it. Your Gerd does seems quite severe & has already done damage I would think eradicating it would be a good reason to try a bypass. But that’s my thinking.