Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Predictors of Not Meeting Weight Loss Goal

I have not yet had surgery (RNY bypass) and am doing all I can to prepare (following dr.s orders, started exercise program). I have been reading the weight loss stories in this forum and notice a wide range of differences in "success." While I understand that if you go back to bad habits you won't meet goal (since the surgery is only one of the many tools we need), I am curious if there are things you have done (or not done) that you think helped you meet your goals. In other words...if I do everything I am supposed to, most of the time (knowing slips happen), is there anything that will prevent me from hitting the goal range my Dr. and I set for myself? I.e., genetics? Not exercising every day or hard enough? I am just so worried that even if I do everything I should that I will fail...once again... Interested in your thoughts (and encouragement!). TIA

First the average weight loss statistic for sleeve or bypass is about 65% of the weight you have to lose to put you in a healthier range. Of course some lose more & some lose less.

Now the why. The surgery will reset your body’s set point. This is the weight your body is happiest at & is easiest to maintain. Your set point could end up higher or lower than you’d prefer. Life. It can throw crap at you & make it more difficult to lose or maintain your weight (stress, emotions). Health conditions & medications. Some meds are notorious for increasing your appetite & causing weight gain & some health conditions limit your ability to lose all the weight you want e.g, restrict mobility. Personal choice. Some feel happier at a higher weight. Or they make food choices that better complement their life & how they want to live their life. Your body reaches a lower weight but resettles a bit heavier. A bounce back regain of 10+/- lbs can occur. And so on.

I understand your fear of regaining. I mean we all have a lifetime of experiencing weight loss & the inevitable regain. This is the first time in my life (was almost 54 when I had my surgery) I have ever maintained my weight after losing for longer than a couple of months. The difference is I did not go back to eating in the sane way as I always did. I worked out a way of eating that I’m comfortable with, doesn’t make me feel like I’m missing out or making sacrifices, allows me to live my life as I want, is sustainable (very important) & works for me & my body. I changed my relationship with food. My choices may not work for you or others & some may think it too restrictive. I din consider it a die but just how I eat. I avoid as much sugar, sugar alternatives & artificial sweeteners as I can so no sodas & sweets only a couple of times a year (e.g. Christmas). If I want/need sweet I eat fruit. I prep & cook most of what I eat - mostly lots of whole foods & low processed ingredients. I rarely have takeaway & haven’t had fast food since before my surgery. I keep my carbs lowish & choose whole & multi grains more complex carbs. No bread or similar products Pasta or rice (choice & also sit heavily in my tummy). I also chose not to exercise. I didn’t want to have to spend hours in a gym or run or cycle miles every week to maintain my weight. I’m happy with the stretches, resistance band exercises & sit ups I do. (Takes a total of about 25 minutes over a couple of sessions a day & wouldn’t burn 30 calories - LOL!). It works for me & my body seems happy at this weight (set point). I’ve basically maintained my weight since my surgery.

Chat with your surgeon about a realistic goal weight after surgery & what you might experience & your dietician about how your future of eating might look. Research & avoid trendy diets - if they worked & were sustainable no one would have weight issues. You may find this video informative.

You may find this video informative. Dr John Pilcher has many great videos on a variety of topics. Dr Matt Weiner is very good too.

Thank you so much, Arabesque! This is very helpful and reassuring. And what a great video. Thank you.

I've watched a lot of his videos, he's great!

14 hours ago, Arabesque said:

First the average weight loss statistic for sleeve or bypass is about 65% of the weight you have to lose to put you in a healthier range. Of course some lose more & some lose less.

Now the why. The surgery will reset your body’s set point. This is the weight your body is happiest at & is easiest to maintain. Your set point could end up higher or lower than you’d prefer. Life. It can throw crap at you & make it more difficult to lose or maintain your weight (stress, emotions). Health conditions & medications. Some meds are notorious for increasing your appetite & causing weight gain & some health conditions limit your ability to lose all the weight you want e.g, restrict mobility. Personal choice. Some feel happier at a higher weight. Or they make food choices that better complement their life & how they want to live their life. Your body reaches a lower weight but resettles a bit heavier. A bounce back regain of 10+/- lbs can occur. And so on.

I understand your fear of regaining. I mean we all have a lifetime of experiencing weight loss & the inevitable regain. This is the first time in my life (was almost 54 when I had my surgery) I have ever maintained my weight after losing for longer than a couple of months. The difference is I did not go back to eating in the sane way as I always did. I worked out a way of eating that I’m comfortable with, doesn’t make me feel like I’m missing out or making sacrifices, allows me to live my life as I want, is sustainable (very important) & works for me & my body. I changed my relationship with food. My choices may not work for you or others & some may think it too restrictive. I din consider it a die but just how I eat. I avoid as much sugar, sugar alternatives & artificial sweeteners as I can so no sodas & sweets only a couple of times a year (e.g. Christmas). If I want/need sweet I eat fruit. I prep & cook most of what I eat - mostly lots of whole foods & low processed ingredients. I rarely have takeaway & haven’t had fast food since before my surgery. I keep my carbs lowish & choose whole & multi grains more complex carbs. No bread or similar products Pasta or rice (choice & also sit heavily in my tummy). I also chose not to exercise. I didn’t want to have to spend hours in a gym or run or cycle miles every week to maintain my weight. I’m happy with the stretches, resistance band exercises & sit ups I do. (Takes a total of about 25 minutes over a couple of sessions a day & wouldn’t burn 30 calories - LOL!). It works for me & my body seems happy at this weight (set point). I’ve basically maintained my weight since my surgery.

Chat with your surgeon about a realistic goal weight after surgery & what you might experience & your dietician about how your future of eating might look. Research & avoid trendy diets - if they worked & were sustainable no one would have weight issues. You may find this video informative.

You may find this video informative. Dr John Pilcher has many great videos on a variety of topics. Dr Matt Weiner is very good too.

Thanks for this video. I am a patient of Dr Guillermo Higa, Dr Matt Weiner's colleague. Wonderful experience with Dr Higa. Dr Weiner has a lot of videos that are very informative. They are located in Tucson, AZ.

Edited by tx2az

If I could give one piece of advice/lesson learned, it's to push as hard as you can during the first 3 months post-op. That's the "honeymoon" period when weight drops off the fastest.

Weight loss progressively slows down each post-op month, and by month 6 has typically slowed dramatically. Most people stop losing 9 to 12 months post-op. So, you have a short window in which to really take advantage of the "magic" of weight loss surgery.

Research has shown that weight loss at 3 months post-op is a strong predictor of weight loss success.

https://www.sages.org/meetings/annual-meeting/abstracts-archive/weight-loss-at-three-months-post-operatively-predicts-weight-loss-success-at-one-year-for-roux-en-y-gastric-bypass-and-sleeve-gastrectomy/

On 3/18/2023 at 11:20 PM, ToInfinityAndBeyond said:

is there anything that will prevent me from hitting the goal range my Dr. and I set for myself?

Adopting a lifestyle within the first gung-ho months that's not sustainable for you in the long run. Too many people are posting about "having fallen off the wagon" after their so called "honeymoon phase" is over because they burnt themselves out.