Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soft foods start tomorrow, st patty’s dinner lol

My question is, is cooked carrots, cooked cabbage (st.Patrick’s days) unsweetened applesauce, mashed potatoes (no skinned- mashed well), pudding sugar free- all acceptable to try? Small bites of? I know no drinking 30 minutes after eating. Well down corn beef/ bread roll is out of the option right even tho it’s soft right? My dad is doing dinner at his house on Sunday to Celebrate st. Pattys and I’m trying to see what I can or cannot eat. If I should bring a shake or bring just cream of wheat and if I can add butter to my cream of wheat.

Edited by Michelle90

I'd leave the cabbage until you are a little further down the track. It is probably a little harder to digest and quite fibrous (so not possibly not a soft food). (Edited to add) The cabbage would possibly make you bloated and gassy this early on.

I couldn't tolerate bread for a long time, it's quite stodgy, I don't think you'd want to be eating it just yet.

11 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

I'd leave the cabbage until you are a little further down the track. It is probably a little harder to digest and quite fibrous (so not possibly not a soft food).

I couldn't tolerate bread for a long time, it's quite stodgy, I don't think you'd want to eating it just yet.

Thank you for responding. I totally forgot about the cabbage and the fibrinous benefits. I’ll definitely wait on the on bread. I appreciate your reply and help on this.

Actually I could eat steamed cabbage & often had a small spoonful as my vegetable. I did bring up a slice of well cooked soft carrot (but could eat it in slow cooked Soups, mince dishes, etc. - our tummies can be very weird & unpredictable).

Depending upon how soft & fall apart the corned beef is you may be able to eat a small amount of that without the bun. Try a small piece, chew it well & see how you go. You may need some mustard pickles ( without the chunky vegetables) , sauce, etc. to moisten it a bit. Do take your shake, creamed wheat just in case. There’s a lot of trial & error to discover what your tummy will tolerate & it’s ever changing.

Watch the sugar free puddings especially if they are sweetened with artificial sweeteners. They can often upset people & cause diarrhoea, bloating & cramping. And many are extra sensitive to sweet flavours & food can be too sweet.

10 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

Actually I could eat steamed cabbage & often had a small spoonful as my vegetable. I did bring up a slice of well cooked soft carrot (but could eat it in slow cooked Soups, mince dishes, etc. - our tummies can be very weird & unpredictable).

Depending upon how soft & fall apart the corned beef is you may be able to eat a small amount of that without the bun. Try a small piece, chew it well & see how you go. You may need some mustard pickles ( without the chunky vegetables) , sauce, etc. to moisten it a bit. Do take your shake, creamed wheat just in case. There’s a lot of trial & error to discover what your tummy will tolerate & it’s ever changing.

Watch the sugar free puddings especially if they are sweetened with artificial sweeteners. They can often upset people & cause diarrhoea, bloating & cramping. And many are extra sensitive to sweet flavours & food can be too sweet.

I’ll have to try a bit of the carrots, unsweetened applesauce, mashed potatoes, and check out the corn beef and decide from there. Do you know about having small about of butter?

That’s probably wise, bring both my back up food just Incase. Never know what might upset my stomach. I forgot to double check that with the pudding about the artificial sweeteners. Thank you for the reminder, I definitely do not want to go through any of those symptoms.

I’d probably avoid the butter to keep things low fat but the little in your portion of mashed potatoes is probably okay. It is only one meal. But check your plan to be sure. Plans are so different - I wasn’t allowed potatoes, apple sauce or puddings & then I chose not to reintroduce potatoes (though a couple of times a year I may have a bite or two of a roast potato).

I am surprised to hear how different some stages are at different places. I’ll definitely review my place’s guidelines on the butter with the fats especially. I like that idea of putting limits on certain foods. I should do that with Mac and cheese, my temptation food.

My advice is to eat slowly, and listen to your body. Soft foods feels way different than liquids going down. You will probably be full after 3 teaspoons of food. So take it slow, and stop as soon as you feel restriction. I remember those days of taking just one more bite, and regretting it. There were even a few times, where I had food in my mouth when restriction hit suddenly, and I would discreetly spit it out into a napkin b/c I knew if I swallowed it, I would be in tremendous pain.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Edited by ChubRub

22 hours ago, Michelle90 said:

I am surprised to hear how different some stages are at different places. I’ll definitely review my place’s guidelines on the butter with the fats especially. I like that idea of putting limits on certain foods. I should do that with Mac and cheese, my temptation food.

Mac & cheese is such a yummy heart warming comforting dish though I’d expect Mac & cheese will be off your menu for a while. The macaroni, as with all pastas, are a big no while you are losing. Though some are allowed a few carbs they are more complex carbs & usually whole & multi grains. Pasta is a simple carb with little nutritional benefit & it swells in your now much tinier tummy. You fill up on the pasta & have no room for the Protein & other nutrients yiu really need.

You may decide to reintroduce it later if you want & may work out some alternative ingredients to make it a healthier choice like low fat milk & cheese & high protein macaroni.

On 3/18/2023 at 11:06 PM, Arabesque said:

Mac & cheese is such a yummy heart warming comforting dish though I’d expect Mac & cheese will be off your menu for a while. The macaroni, as with all pastas, are a big no while you are losing. Though some are allowed a few carbs they are more complex carbs & usually whole & multi grains. Pasta is a simple carb with little nutritional benefit & it swells in your now much tinier tummy. You fill up on the Pasta & have no room for the Protein & other nutrients yiu really need.

You may decide to reintroduce it later if you want & may work out some alternative ingredients to make it a healthier choice like low fat milk & cheese & high Protein macaroni.

Not to mention some people aren't ever really able to tolerate a lot of "soft carbs" that swell in the stomach...I'm almost 19 months PO and still have trouble with rice, pasta, and potatoes.