Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post - Surgery Scheduled April 12

Hello,

I am new to these forums.

In March of 2022, while in my rheumatologist's office for treatment for my autoimmune disorder, I was sent to the emergency room with what turned out to be a heart attack.

On the day of my heart attack I was 44-years old, 5'11" 351 pounds with a blood pressure of 214/103.

A couple days later I had my first visit with a cardiologist, who told me he believes I am a great candidate for bariatric surgey. I looked at him like he was crazy, "thats for people on 'My600-lb Life'" I thought. I didn't need that, besides 'men don't get this kind of surgery."

A few months later after some thinking, searching for information on the internet and watching my father, who was not as big as me, pass away at 67. I decided I should look into it, worst case scenario, I get some diet tips.

So In October I scheduled my first consult. Five months later, last week I was given my surgery date of 04/12/2023. Due to my auto immune disorder, my Doctor and myself have settled on the Gastric Sleeve.

Back in October I was given a pre-op goal to get down to 330 pounds before my surgery. As of today I am at 296.

I am excited, nervous and scared all at the same time. On one side I have people telling me "you look so good, you lost 50 pounds, keep going you don't need the surgery. On the other side, I have been able to do it before, but never to the amount where my BMI was in a healthy range and I always gained it back. Their answer is always "don't gain it back." If it was only that easy, I think.

What really has me worried is the 2-week pre surgery liquid diet I start on 3/29. While I have been doing good things, mixing in Protein Shakes, eating a lot of soup... I'm terrified of slipping during that two weeks. How has everyone else dealt with that?

Congrats!! I'm glad you ended up looking into it. The idea that this surgery isn't for men is such a weird stigma, EVERYONE deserves to be at a healthy weight & I'm glad you get that now!

Not going to lie, the liquid diet is difficult. It was the toughest part of this journey but in the grand scheme of things it was a tiny drop in a pool of Water. The results are so worth it & you will look back on the liquid stage as just a crazy time you went through.

I reccomend Fairlife Protein Shakes for that stage. They are genuinely tasty & good flavor makes that time a bit easier.

Edited by qtdoll

Are you and is your health worth the minor inconvenience of a 2 week liquid diet? Think of it as a 2 week mindset reset. Remind yourself that every 10lbs lost takes 20lbs off your knees and less strain on the rest of your body.

You can do it.

As @Starwarsandcupcakes said it’s only two weeks. Two weeks is nothing compared with the rest of your life.

I wouldn’t worry about starting shakes now - you’ll be sick enough of them with the 2 weeks pre op & 2 week post op diets without extending how long you’re on them. Not sure what you’ve started doing airways but try reducing your caffeine, fat& carb sugar intake, drink more Water, try healthier cooking methods, etc. Small changes do make a difference & may help with the withdrawal symptoms when you do start the shakes - they can be a struggle.

I love how people say things do it yourself & just don’t put the weight back on. Don’t they realise if you could you would have done that the many times you lost weight in the past. They have no idea. Unless they’ve lived your life & experienced your battles with weight their comments are worthless.

Congrats on your weight loss so far. I bet you’ve noticed an improvement in your health already. And congrats getting a surgery date. Yay!

Edited by Arabesque

Many of us on this forum have never told anyone else their surgery plans just for this reason. We walk in our own shoes, we went on our own ride to get to our weight. No body else knows how tough a road we lived and how unhealthy it has made us. Back your own judgement. If its time for you to go through this, then you will know.

Yes the first 4 days of the pre op diet are brutal and then it gets easier [ well you get used to it] its a means to an end. You have done really well so far. My advice for what its worth is - do it. We did it, you can

First off, I'm so sorry for your loss.

2nd, don't psyche yourself out on the 2 weeks pre-op diet. Just remind yourself of your whys. Towards the end of the two weeks of course it gets harder and you want to cave but let the surgery be your motivation.

As summerseeker said, I was one that only told a small circle about my surgery. My main reason was that I didn't want to be talked out of it. No one understands your struggles like you do.

I also agree about not starting it too soon and recommend the fair life shakes. The chocolate ones are my favorite and 7 months out I still enjoy them.