Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think I can lose 70lbs naturally? I'm at a crossroads :(

All of these responses are great and right on point! I believe we have had all had the same type thoughts and questions. I finally asked myself, after many times of losing and gaining: "Well how did that work out for ya?" Apparently not well! LOL Surgery was the best decision ever!!!! Best Wishes!

You absolutely CAN. I lost 95lbs pre-op. However, I have a history of keeping weight loss off long term. I got the surgery & it's helping me keep weight off & continue to lose. I only regret not getting it sooner.

From WebMD:

"Only around 5% of people who fall in the morbidly obese range are successful at losing weight without surgical assistance."

Edited by qtdoll

1 hour ago, qtdoll said:

You absolutely CAN. I lost 95lbs pre-op. However, I have a history of keeping weight loss off long term. I got the surgery & it's helping me keep weight off & continue to lose. I only regret not getting it sooner.

From WebMD:

"Only around 5% of people who fall in the morbidly obese range are successful at losing weight without surgical assistance."

That’s great. How did you manage to lose it naturally??

2 hours ago, qtdoll said:

From WebMD:

I have a history of NOT keeping weight loss off long term*** oops

56 minutes ago, helenah said:

That’s great. How did you manage to lose it naturally??

High Protein, low carb calorie deficit with low impact excersices! I was just consistent with it

My only regret was that this surgery was not available years ago. I had my VSG 12 years ago, in my mid 50's. I am now 67 years old ( next week !) and lost and gained back weight my entire life. I weigh less now what I weighed in graduate school, which was in 1980. I have lost half of myself. I started at 320 before my pre surgery weight loss. I am not skinny by any means. But I went from super morbidly obese to now in the (high) but NORMAL range of BMI - but more than that, I have learned how to maintain my weight loss.

Can you lose 70 pounds without Weight loss surgery ? I don't know. Will you lose 70 pounds with surgery ? YES. Is it scary to have surgery ? Yes, especially thinking about it ahead of time. But having surgery in your 30's is easier than in your 50's !!!

And By the way, having bariatric surgery helps us to lose weight NATURALLY. There is nothing un-natural about surgical intervention for a medical problem. Don't think of yourself as being broken. Think of this surgical intervention as a medical necessity for your future.

19 hours ago, BriarRose said:

My only regret was that this surgery was not available years ago. I had my VSG 12 years ago, in my mid 50's. I am now 67 years old ( next week !) and lost and gained back weight my entire life. I weigh less now what I weighed in graduate school, which was in 1980. I have lost half of myself. I started at 320 before my pre surgery weight loss. I am not skinny by any means. But I went from super morbidly obese to now in the (high) but NORMAL range of BMI - but more than that, I have learned how to maintain my weight loss.

Can you lose 70 pounds without Weight loss surgery ? I don't know. Will you lose 70 pounds with surgery ? YES. Is it scary to have surgery ? Yes, especially thinking about it ahead of time. But having surgery in your 30's is easier than in your 50's !!!

And By the way, having bariatric surgery helps us to lose weight NATURALLY. There is nothing un-natural about surgical intervention for a medical problem. Don't think of yourself as being broken. Think of this surgical intervention as a medical necessity for your future.

Thank you! I’m definitely not ruling it out completely.

You're swimming upstream fighting against a heavy current.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4539812/

"In simple obesity (body mass index = 30.0–34.9 kg/m2), the annual probability of attaining normal weight was 1 in 210 for men and 1 in 124 for women, increasing to 1 in 1290 for men and 1 in 677 for women with morbid obesity (body mass index = 40.0–44.9 kg/m2)"

"At least 50% of patients who achieved 5% weight loss were shown to have regained this weight within 2 years. It has previously been reported that approximately 80% of people who intentionally achieve weight loss of 10% or more of their body weight will regain that weight within a year."

Edited by losinglosinglosing

Yes, you most definitely can! But it is all about mindset and what you feel you are deserving of. You must feel "worthy" and trust that your body loves you and is always working in your favor, not against you. Even when our bodies gain weight it is because it is protecting us in some way. Understanding that is key! You can do this!!!

Much love, Steph

On 3/17/2023 at 2:36 PM, helenah said:

Thank you so much for all the answers.

catwoman 7 - you’re totally right. So much more goes into it than imagined. Over the years I would lose 20lbs and then regain it. No idea why I never stick to the diet that’s working for me

Summerset - haha you’re right, a WLS forum was probably a weird choice for my question but it was the only forum I could think of at the time.

Jeanniebug - yes I am planning on still going to the appointment. You’re right I’ve also heard that the waiting list could be up to two years and that they might put you on a weight loss program first. That would be so ideal.

pintsizedmallrat - two things did work for me in the past. Kettlebell workouts and intermittent fasting (mainly OMAD) but I just very stupidly gave up after a month of trying. I think my bigger problem is I get lazy and stop. No idea why. I’m gonna try combining the two soon!

Summerseeker - Wow that’s amazing, 10 stone on slimming world! Perhaps I should join them.

That's kind of why surgery works: you don't really get a day off. You can't get lazy and eat too much.

8 minutes ago, pintsizedmallrat said:

That's kind of why surgery works: you don't really get a day off. You can't get lazy and eat too much.

Yes. I love how my sleeve won't let me cheat. I occasionally give in to temptation and try to eat too much, and my sleeve be like "What we're not going to do today..." LOL

Helena,

Wow you sound like me. I am older (55) though. I have always just wanted to be around the 200lb mark also. I am 5'9. My weight hovered around 275 for most of my adult life. I was able to get down to 230 on my own several times, but then hit a wall, and gained it all back. As i got older, I started having blood sugar issues and was told I needed a total knee replacement. I was too heavy for that surgery. I decide to do a gastric sleeve two years ago. I had my knee replaced two months ago. I have maintained my weight loss for 2 years. This was a Godsend for me. This is a personal choice, but worked wonders for me. It is not the magic wand. You still need to watch what you eat and do the right thing everyday. Hoping this helps.

~Lisa

I had to do a 6 month weight loss program before my surgery, I gave up sweets, drank mainly Water, and because I was insulin resistant, went on a medication called Wegovy. I lost 80 pounds pre surgery. But I knew I needed to lose more and I needed the lifestyle to be less of a choice and more a have to. Sugar was my bane - now if I were to eat sugar I risk dumping syndrome which sounds rather unpleasant. My pain was minimal, but I know mileage varies. Best of luck on your journey, whatever way you go.

Hi Helenah, I was like you on this journey where I wanted to see how much I could loose without surgery. I lost 68 lbs before my surgery through the program and medications to help. I did start stalling after that and decided to go for the surgery, however I have about 150 lbs to go to be at my 200 lb goal weight. I just had surgery and will see how quickly I loose. I ended up with the sleeve. Good luck on your journey and do what makes you feel comfortable.