Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mini bypass 1 month post op. Why is it still so hard?

Hi everyone. I need some advice or encouragement… because I still don’t really see the light at the end of the tunnel 😕

I had surgery 33 days ago. I already posted before about my journey 2 weeks post op and how I couldn’t eat nor drink properly for weeks. I can gladly say that drinking has improved immensely and somehow eating as well. However things have shifted dramatically and I don’t know if I’m the only one. The cramping and pain that used to be located around my old stomach in the early days has somehow moved to my bowels now. Let me explain. Up to week 3 post op, every time I tried to eat or drink something I would instantly feel it in the new pouch like a heaviness or discomfort. That would then change into non stop gurgling, sometimes foaming. This feeling of wanting to burp but nothing comes out until hours later. I’d of course lose my appetite once again and lay down for the pain to go away.

Now, we’ll into 4 weeks post op, that type of discomfort has almost disappeared (it’s still there) but the cramps and instant bowel movements and heavy diarrhoea is a daily issue. One sip of Water in the morning results in a bowel movement. And it’s an uncomfortable one! I am also so so gassy and I cannot hold it in at all! The other day I was with my brother in my car and it just came out without a warning. I had to open the window because the smell is out of this world… Have you guys encountered this as well?

TMI my poop is completely gray. I already spoke to my doctor about it and she said it was nothing to worry about for now.

lactose intolerance or intolerance to certain artificial sweeteners can cause that, but if it's happening in response to Water, too, then that's not it. I hope they can figure it out for you - that would be awful!!

also, various colors of poop aren't that unusual during the first month after surgery. Although I'd at least let my clinic know if another two or three weeks go by and it's still looking weird.

I am 4 months post op and I had a rough time the first month too. My sensitivity is to fried foods which ultimately is a good thing for me, that was my weakness in my past life, now I avoid it at all costs. I was incredibly constipated up until recently, I started feeling more regular now. It’s just my belief, things DO get better.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

lactose intolerance or intolerance to certain artificial sweeteners can cause that, but if it's happening in response to Water, too, then that's not it. I hope they can figure it out for you - that would be awful!!

also, various colors of poop aren't that unusual during the first month after surgery. Although I'd at least let my clinic know if another two or three weeks go by and it's still looking weird.

Yes, I’ve been thinking about intolerance to lactose at some point when all I could drink was milk instead of Water. But I haven’t had milk in 2 weeks and I’ve only had a tiny bit of light cheese and cottage cheese, so I don’t really know. It’s hard to figure out the foods you don’t tolerate anymore because everyone is SO different. Some people are ok with zucchini, others not, etc etc… it’s so hard to figure out.

another thing I wanted to say was… I am constantly hungry. Like starving. But as soon as I put food in my mouth, I just don’t want to eat anymore. It’s almost like food has been such a trigger for pain and cramps that I’m just scared at how my body will react. 2 days ago I had the equivalent of 1 tsp of cooked corn and I spent half the night crying in pain and emptying my guts in the toilet. Not fun to experiment… :(

16 minutes ago, Isabel1246 said:

I am 4 months post op and I had a rough time the first month too. My sensitivity is to fried foods which ultimately is a good thing for me, that was my weakness in my past life, now I avoid it at all costs. I was incredibly constipated up until recently, I started feeling more regular now. It’s just my belief, things DO get better.

Thanks Isabel. I’ve only been constipated the first week. It was absolutely horrible and very painful. Since that week all I’ve had is diarrhoea, every single morning, except once (might have been a banana I had the day before). Aren’t fried foods completely banned? I’m so scared of food eating is merely a way to survive. I’ve always been a comfort eater so this is really hard. My new obsession is mukbang videos on YouTube. I watch all these people stuff themselves and reminisce on the days I could eat without feeling sick. How miserable of me…

Yes, I completely understand. My heart goes out to you, I hope it gets better for you too. Yes, fried foods are banned but I'd use a bit of olive oil to cook my egg and that was all it took to get me incredibly sick. I have to grill everything and make sure the fat content is not too high or else it makes me feel horrible. I was a comfort eater too, everything revolved around food. Celebrations, accomplishments, sadness all of it. Now I put a lot of energy into the gym to fill my time, and if I'm bored, I'll go to the gym anytime to help ward off the idle hands. I don't mourn food anymore, like you I eat to survive not for pleasure, but I enjoy the healthy choices I make now.

3 hours ago, Isabel1246 said:

Yes, I completely understand. My heart goes out to you, I hope it gets better for you too. Yes, fried foods are banned but I'd use a bit of olive oil to cook my egg and that was all it took to get me incredibly sick. I have to grill everything and make sure the fat content is not too high or else it makes me feel horrible. I was a comfort eater too, everything revolved around food. Celebrations, accomplishments, sadness all of it. Now I put a lot of energy into the gym to fill my time, and if I'm bored, I'll go to the gym anytime to help ward off the idle hands. I don't mourn food anymore, like you I eat to survive not for pleasure, but I enjoy the healthy choices I make now.

You see, then I guess I’m lucky that a little bit of oil to fry my egg doesn’t make me sick. The variables are so huge. I hate it. I hate that I can’t just follow some rules that apply to 90% of WLS patients. Everyone has their own personal issues and it depresses me. I thought I had done all the research I could before going for the surgery but I guess I didn’t and it’s like the habits I’ve had for years and the way my brain is wired it’s all fighting against me. Like I’m in a war with my body. Maybe I should add that I’m a breast cancer survivor and that my body (and especially my digestive system) has gone through a lot. That was in 2009-2010, followed by years of hormone therapy.
I want to stay positive though and except for a couple of exceptions, most of the people here are not regretting their procedure after a year. I just have to be patient… which I’m not 😝

Your tummy can be very sensitive & can behave like a petulant, tantrum throwing two year old for a while. Remember too you’ve put your digestive system through quite a bit & part of its recovery is re learning how to function.

For many the lactose intolerance is temporary. In the meantime try some of the myriad of lactose free/vegan products available these days. I struggled with lactose for decades thanks to a parasite & back then there want a lot of options (soy, rude bran, oat milk tasted awful to me) so I just gave up milk. I could tolerate small amounts of yoghurt & cheese. Though I think the surgery cut away the parasite, I only buy lactose free milk because I consume it every day & don’t want to risk it.

Are you on a PPI? My other thought was excess acid which can cause a sharp, cutting pain across the abdomen &/or cramping & quite rapid onset diarrhoea which is often quite smelly.

5 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Your tummy can be very sensitive & can behave like a petulant, tantrum throwing two year old for a while.

Lol that is so true!

thanks for your advice. Anything helps at this point. Yes I do take pantoprazole every morning to protect my stomach. The clockwork painful diarrhoea happens every morning though… I think I could live with it if it wasn’t that painful. Yesterday I drank about 20 oz of Water in one sitting (spread out over 2 hours) and I swear with every sip I could feel a cramp followed by excessive farting. I’m sorry but 🤦‍♀️ I’m lucky to be single that’s all I can say!

On 3/14/2023 at 8:18 AM, SuperGuuurl said:

Hi everyone. I need some advice or encouragement… because I still don’t really see the light at the end of the tunnel 😕

I had surgery 33 days ago. I already posted before about my journey 2 weeks post op and how I couldn’t eat nor drink properly for weeks. I can gladly say that drinking has improved immensely and somehow eating as well. However things have shifted dramatically and I don’t know if I’m the only one. The cramping and pain that used to be located around my old stomach in the early days has somehow moved to my bowels now. Let me explain. Up to week 3 post op, every time I tried to eat or drink something I would instantly feel it in the new pouch like a heaviness or discomfort. That would then change into non stop gurgling, sometimes foaming. This feeling of wanting to burp but nothing comes out until hours later. I’d of course lose my appetite once again and lay down for the pain to go away.

Now, we’ll into 4 weeks post op, that type of discomfort has almost disappeared (it’s still there) but the cramps and instant bowel movements and heavy diarrhoea is a daily issue. One sip of Water in the morning results in a bowel movement. And it’s an uncomfortable one! I am also so so gassy and I cannot hold it in at all! The other day I was with my brother in my car and it just came out without a warning. I had to open the window because the smell is out of this world… Have you guys encountered this as well?

TMI my poop is completely gray. I already spoke to my doctor about it and she said it was nothing to worry about for now.

I have joined this forum simply for one reason. Your Post.
I relate so drastically I can be honest and say thank you and I’m desperate for your reply with insight.

im just about to look into posting my story but could not do so without first replying to you.

I am now around 16 weeks post mini gastric bypass. Valentines Day I underwent the surgeons scalpels

I paid privately after the usual circumstances of hitting rock bottom and saying quite literally… ENOUGH! Money is not plentiful and I used my small inheritance from my late father. Lucky, I was able to do so.

but… I’m struggling. I have zero support network with experience. A loving family yes but no one I feel can validate or reassure me.

I have medical study experience but not enough experience or knowledge to explain my symptoms away.

my most recent message I’m still awaiting reply to from my surgeons medical secretary as follows:-

Hi (name removed for anonymity)

Did you receive my message yesterday please?

I spoke to the Dieticians yesterday too and they’ve arranged a consultation with surgeon to discuss further issues. Next Wednesday. I am hoping to attend in person but currently struggling with flu type symptoms.

I don’t have other people who have had bariatric surgery to speak to who could be a support network or provide support. Do you know if there is a professional forum, overseen contact group or other network or other supportive services? I don’t feel I am having a good recovery and feel I am struggling. Plus, I feel I am that poorly now perhaps I was dismissed too readily or swiftly in my previous contacts.

I am losing weight much much faster than all my peers I read. I’ve lost over 4 stones in just 13 weeks. Far too fast and I’m drained, lethargic, can barely hold my head up (albeit have flu too) but in May too! Not normally a fluey month as the norm?? Infact, I microsecond passed out yesterday and cracked my head on our bathroom sink - simply due to standing up from the loo!

I do not have a supportive GP or GP surgery and am currently in the process of changing surgeries now BUT am writing to them and conducting a private appointment firstly as I do not trust full follow through handover transparency. My surgery requires professional evidence or correspondence of everything to even follow up. For example, they have borderline eGFR results and two scans showing kidney stone and cyst in situ YET won’t conduct further tests or refer until surgeon sends a letter too! It’s absurd! it’s the main reason I paid to get this surgery completed to try to be well and improve my life and stay away from GP Doctors who possibly practiced nothing more than general medicine for 5 years!

I’m constantly having to contact you directly, but seem dismissed by quotes of it’s week 4, or week 6, or only week 8 or now it’s only week 16, go back to Soups and fluids, try a quarter of an egg instead of a full
Egg. I’ve gone back to fluids only 3 times now! When then can I tolerate real food? Something I can use my teeth with would be nice now?

I cant eat any meat barely at all now, (not even minced), swallowing gets more difficult, indigestion, heartburn is agony, my nails are like paper, my periods have disappeared completely albeit this could be normal as I’m 10 years post menopausal, my face is gray and sallowed. I look like death. I’ve just returned back from holiday but spent 5 days in bed due to tummy pain, bowel problems, agonising indigestion, feeling unwell. I also take 3 x baricol chewables a day, a Multivitamin tablet and a calcichew a day. I’ve read everything I can find, researched this surgery for 6 months prior to having it, watched videos on YouTube, nothing seems to validate or reassure me. I studied medicine myself for 2 years albeit I know this is extra bit of knowledge of human anatomy and practice,

I certainly do not have the knowledge to explain my symptoms away. I know this is not psychological as I cannot tolerate warm, cold, mashed, puréed, anything I’ve been told to try and going back a step to try again. When then am I to carry on until? Perhaps until I pass out again or end up in A&E on a drip?

I cant get anything down me. If I do manage one meal a day, it’s a quarter of a starter portion and I’ll nearly always vomit it back up or experience the pain in my tummy or severely painful heartburn or severely offensive and debilitating flatulence.

How long until I can eat?
How long until I can drink plentiful fluids without issues? Ie. More than 500 ml in a 24 hour period?
How long until I feel well?
How long until I can eat what my family eats albeit in a starter portion? A healthy clean hearty non processed meal!
How long until I look and feel well?
How long until I can eat without severely offensive flatulence? It’s disgusting and far too painful to keep inside or even attempt to get to a more private location! Once it’s there, it’s impossible to hide and I don’t feel confident even in taking my children to school!
How long will my stools be pale yellow or grey?
How long will this horrendous pain in my tummy last? Because it’s interfering with my daily life now too. I’m now buying omaprezol over the counter. Lamazeprol isn’t available over the counter like I was advised yesterday.

How long until I can sleep a full
Night without being woken by agonising heartburn or stomach pain?

These are the questions I’d like to ask a support network rather than mither yourself, to then mither surgeon to then mither dieticians or worse my GP.

I’m getting very frustrated now, mainly through a lack of support I think. I don’t like to join public forums or online networks normally but I don’t feel I can get the answers of validation or reassurance currently. Yet, I’ve paid over £12000 for the surgery and 2 years post surgery support. Where is the support please?

Once I receive your reply I’ll
Know whether to mention the letter requirements in my appointment too.

I am so sorry I have to keep contacting you, mithering surgeon but I’m getting frustrated and upset now. I want to be well not worse. Plus, the more issues, symptoms I have the more neurotic I feel, yet I have nowhere else to ask.

Regards

So after reading this I hope you or anyone could offer some guidance or insight.

simply put I am also at my wits end and do not want to regret this life changing surgery but I’m beginning to do so with intent and massive frustration.

looking forward to any replies. ❤️❤️💕💕💞