Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein advice greatly appreciated

hello! so i'm 2 weeks post gastric bypass at the moment and I've discovered that I cannot stand Protein powders (tried multiple) so I'm panicking now because protein is going to be such a huge part of my life basically forever and I'm stuck on what to do, when I can start eating normally I love chicken so I can eat protein no problem but im 100% sure I'm not going to be getting enough and everyone uses Protein Shakes or drinks/yogurts and I just can't stand them

I've been looking at protein supplements and you barely get 1 gram of protein per tablet so that's not viable like I was hoping unless I take 40 a day.

I should of thought about the Protein Shake problem more but I was just concerned with 'get the surgery and get healthy' and now I'm left wondering what I'm supposed to do

any advice would be greatly appreciated, im feeling like a grade A idiot at the moment

sam

Have you tried premade shakes like Premier Protein or Fairlife? Those are often a little more tolerable. You could also try Protein waters, like Protien2o, which are clear and more like a Gatorade than a shake. Lots of folks cut the shakes with Water, milk, or even coffee in the beginning, which can help, too.

It is very important to hit your protein early and often, but keep in mind it will be VERY hard in the beginning; you work up to it. And in time, most folks no longer need to supplement with shakes or bars (although some choose to). But you will likely get to a point where you get all of your protein form your meals.

I've been sampling Proteins in preparation for surgery. I found that I like Fairlife chocolate (premade) the best. I'm waiting for the clear proteins to get here to try. I have also seen Protein Shots on Amazon. Not sure about flavor, but they may be easier to get down in a few, approved, gulps.
I feel ya. Protein Drinks are not great. I haven't tried flavorless Protein Powder to add to foods-maybe that's an option for you.

I do like the premade shakes…but not the Gatorade Protein Water. Disgusting doesnt even cover it.

There's a chicken flavored Protein that I mixed with hot Bone Broth. That wasn't terrible, lol. I was able to get to 3 weeks then I started small amounts of well chewed chicken or salmon.

As for Protein Shakes I got to the point where I couldn't stand Premier or Orgain. But pre-made Orgain Clean still tastes good.

The chicken protein powder is
Bariatric fusion Chicken Soup Meal Replacement 27g Protein Powder

They also have a strawberry banana that is pretty good.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

I couldn't drink those Protein drinks for anything. To me they tase of metal and processed crap. Sorry. Not sorry. What did I do ? and what do I do now 12 years later ? I tried them pre surgery. Most of them made me horribly ill. I found out I cannot digest any of the sugar replacers or any of the milk replacers. It brings on colitis. Like weeks of the runs with terrible cramping. So.... I pre made myself super strong chicken broth; for post surgery I strained it through doubled cheese cloth. I kept and froze the chicken, and carrots separately. Later I made those into mashed carrots with some broth to thin it. And I basically food processed the chicken and had that as I was able to sip non Clear Liquids. I also made really strong vegetable broth - not Soup, broth. With mushrooms and squash, and things like that. I froze my Soups in tiny containers. And I made fish broth too. And beef broth. With the bones, and then super strained at first. I still make this and use it as the base for sauces, as I strain out any fats too. I eat simple Proteins. I made and ate early on lots of chicken salad with some added broth, and humus instead of mayo. I still eat it that way. more protein and Fiber. tuna mixed with greek yogurt. eggs mixed with yogurt for egg salad. Now, I make myself chicken thighs, and vegetables all the time. I like to use my crock pot to make boneless skinless thighs with carrots or chunks of sweet potato - and whatever vegetable I feel like adding. I am into gardening so I might add seasonal veggies like cabbage or Beans or english peas, I use very little salt, lots of fresh herbs. I use the crock pot to make pot roast which comes out so tender and easy to eat, with tomatoes and serve it with cauliflower "rice" - I made all these things early on, and just mashed the heck out of things, adding homemade broth to smooth.

My surgeon does not do Protein Shakes. I was told to drink milk, It does not matter which one they all have the same Protein count. Skimmed, semi skimmed and full fat. 20 ounces of milk has almost 19 grams of protein. You could add Greek yogurt to that. Some have more protein than others, the one I eat is 200 grams and 16.6 grams of protein. Don't panic, you will work it out

Thanks so much everyone! I dont feel so alone or stupid now, I don't know how people drink some of the stuff! Some fab ideas and I really appreciate it

I was able to drink Protein powders fine before my surgery, but afterward they make me want to vomit when I just put them in my mouth. So, getting my protein in has been hard. I definitely lean on greek yogurt a lot or suck on a tablespoon on Peanut Butter. Cottage cheese is a good choice for something savory.

I can stomach these, as I can drink them in one go and it is easier: https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/bariatricpal-25g-whey-protein-collagen-power-shots-cran-grape

For when you are later in your journey and can eat more solid food:

I have also found a protein granola from Aldi (https://www.aldi.us/en/products/breakfast-cereals/granola/detail/ps/p/millville-protein-granola-assorted-varieties-1/) that is delicious and doesn't make me sick, which I stir into my greek yogurt to give it some texture.

I also eat nuts for a snack or babybel cheese, that I chew very well. I have had a DS, though, so I can eat higher fat food than a gastric bypass, so I don't know how helpful all of this advice is for you.

Edited by Seraphias

I have discovered Premier Protein Cereal as a good alternative in the mornings. I have a small bowl of the berries flavor cereal with a scoop or so of plain yogurt and almond milk or regular milk, let it sit for a good 20 minutes to soften (bc it is too hard and crunchy otherwise), and then enjoy. It adds about 30g of Protein to start my day and I find it enjoyable.

I love Protein pudding, oatmeal, and protein hot chocolate! 12-15 grams depending on the brand. They are a little pricey but you can order them through Amazon. They do have the artificial sweet taste but you can't taste chalky protein flavor.

I also agree with the comments on Fairlife Protein Shakes pre-made. The chocolate taste like chocolate milk and the vanilla like melted ice cream.

I’m also really sensitive to the metallic, chemical flavor of Protein Shakes (Muscle Milk makes me want to vomit), so I tried dozens of different Protein shakes before my surgery. My favorites:

Fairlife Vanilla (melted DQ ice cream is the best way to describe it), Fairlife chocolate (like chocolate milk), Premiere Protein Cake Batter (to me, this tastes like a vanilla shake should)

I like these flavors blended with ice and banana:

Fairlife Power strawberry Banana, Premiere Protein Chocolate, Premiere Protein Peanut Butter Chocolate

For unflavored protein, I use Bariatric Fusion. Can be mixed in with all sorts of things, like yogurt, sugar free pudding and Gatorade Zero. I’ve also heard that Unjury protein powder is good (but haven’t tried it yet).