Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horrible Constipation

I am wondering if anyone else went through this. I am 13 days post off and have severe Constipation. Nothing worked suppositories Miralax colace benefiber. This is tmi but my spouse had to Manuel remove my impacted stool. Well its out now but extreme pain. What are some other choices?

Sent from my LM-Q730 using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh this is very common & will be something you will face during your weight loss & sometimes, though less often once you’ve stabilised.

Add some soluble, non swelling fibre to your shakes & then other fluids as you progress. I used Benefibre. Try to keep on top of your Constipation. I took a stool softener if I hadn’t gone after three days. But remember you aren’t eating much so there’s not much to poop so only going every two days is okay for a few months.

While a stool softener worked for me some do need much more aggressive treatments. Have a chat with your medical team for alternatives. There are prescription meds you can take & many swear by milk of magnesia.

All the best.

Have you tried an enema? That may clear the impaction and get the trains moving again.

I take 400mg of magnesium a day. I looked at how much was in my Multivitamin and then I add an extra magnesium supplement to get to 400mg. I originally started taking it to help with Migraines but it also helps with my (former) chronic Constipation. I don't buy anything fancy, just whatever they have at a big box store.

Of course, ask your doctor if this is okay for you to add.

ETA: Oh, I take it at night bc it can make you a little sleepy. It helped me go to sleep, as well!

Edited by Lisa XO

Oh this is very common & will be something you will face during your weight loss & sometimes, though less often once you’ve stabilised.
Add some soluble, non swelling fibre to your shakes & then other fluids as you progress. I used Benefibre. Try to keep on top of your Constipation. I took a stool softener if I hadn’t gone after three days. But remember you aren’t eating much so there’s not much to poop so only going every two days is okay for a few months.
While a stool softener worked for me some do need much more aggressive treatments. Have a chat with your medical team for alternatives. There are prescription meds you can take & many swear by milk of magnesia.
All the best.
Thank You

I take 400mg of magnesium a day. I looked at how much was in my multivitamin and then I add an extra magnesium supplement to get to 400mg. I originally started taking it to help with Migraines but it also helps with my (former) chronic Constipation. I don't buy anything fancy, just whatever they have at a big box store.

ETA: Oh, I take it at night bc it can make you a little sleepy. It helped me go to sleep, as well!
Thank You

I take 400mg of magnesium a day. I looked at how much was in my Multivitamin and then I add an extra magnesium supplement to get to 400mg. I originally started taking it to help with Migraines but it also helps with my (former) chronic Constipation. I don't buy anything fancy, just whatever they have at a big box store.

I will ask thanks!

Have you tried an enema? That may clear the impaction and get the trains moving again.

Thankfully after my spouse helped me last night. Finally, came out this morning. But, I did have an enema handy if needed. Thank You!

25 minutes ago, CK77 said:

Thankfully after my spouse helped me last night. Finally, came out this morning. But, I did have an enema handy if needed. Thank You!

TMI, but I nearly passed out in the shower (not on) when attempting to use an enema. I was in so much pain. Enema didn't work and went the manual route, which was a big relief. Hurt for a few days after but all better after a week. I try to really keep on top of my liquids, too. Constipation is awful. Hope you feel better soon!

unfortunately, chronic Constipation is an issue for a lot of us (with others, it goes away after they can start eating more fibrous foods like fruits and vegetables). I'm one of the former. I take a capful of Miralax every morning (and have for years), and for the most part, that keeps it at bay. But I still have issues maybe once a month. When that happens, a night or two of milk of magesia usually solves the problem. Oh - and like someone above said, I also take a magnesium tablet every day. That probably helps with keeping it at bay, too (those tablets are usually 250-400 mg. A shot of milk of magnesia is probably 5x that (or maybe more - I'd have to look at the bottle) - so magnesium is definitely a known "de-plugger". But the amount in a typical tablet is OK for every day use, and it helps with preventing it - I wouldn't do milk of magnesia as a daily prevention method - it's too strong - but for those times when you're already severely backed up - it does the trick - at least for me)

unfortunately, chronic Constipation is an issue for a lot of us (with others, it goes away after they can start eating more fibrous foods like fruits and vegetables). I'm one of the former. I take a capful of Miralax every morning (and have for years), and for the most part, that keeps it at bay. But I still have issues maybe once a month. When that happens, a night or two of milk of magesia usually solves the problem. Oh - and like someone above said, I also take a magnesium tablet every day. That probably helps with keeping it at bay, too (those tablets are usually 250-400 mg. A shot of milk of magnesia is probably 5x that (or maybe more - I'd have to look at the bottle) - so magnesium is definitely a known "de-plugger". But the amount in a typical tablet is OK for every day use, and it helps with preventing it - I wouldn't do milk of magnesia as a daily prevention method - it's too strong - but for those times when you're already severely backed up - it does the trick - at least for me)

Thank you.

TMI, but I nearly passed out in the shower (not on) when attempting to use an enema. I was in so much pain. Enema didn't work and went the manual route, which was a big relief. Hurt for a few days after but all better after a week. I try to really keep on top of my liquids, too. Constipation is awful. Hope you feel better soon!
Trust me I understand. I was crying last night as well. Today, I can barely walk. Just going to try these different options and hopefully find a good remedy that works for me.

It was a weekly issue for me for a while. For me, magnesium wasn't enough, so I started adding a Fiber pill to my Vitamin regimen 3 days a week and I haven't had another problem.

It was a weekly issue for me for a while. For me, magnesium wasn't enough, so I started adding a Fiber pill to my Vitamin regimen 3 days a week and I haven't had another problem.

I was thinking along those lines as well. Which one do you take?

Sorry to hear you are having issues with Constipation. i too had it pretty bad and remember those days well. I ended up using an enema for relief. The secret to the enema is to (TMI) try and wait to use the bathroom for a few minutes after you have finished the enema.

Miralax did nothing for me and since I can't swallow pills the stool softeners were out. I just made sure to use benefiber every day. You will soon learn how much fiber you need to take in to stay regular and once you start to add more fruit and veggies in your diet it will get much better.

Hope this helps.