Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with weight loss

Oh y’all. It’s been a little bit since I’m been on this forum. I’m struggling with any weight loss. It’s like I’ve hit a wall for the last 3 months. This is my stats.
SD 4/26/22 / SW 216 / CW 175 / GW 130 / age 50

My team has me under 700 cal and less than 20 carbs a day. I use to basically eat yogurt for almost every meal 🤷🏼‍♀️. But my team say I wasn’t getting enough Protein and my body was probably bored and that was causing my slow down in weight. So they had me to mix things up. So I started eating more protein (meats, chicken etc) well then I started started gaining 😡. My last weight in back in January was 173. I gained up to 180 when adding back food. Now I’m down to 175 but I can’t get the scale to move. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong 😑. My hair is still falling out and I’m definitely getting my protein and my Vitamin levels are good. I just don’t feel like my team believes me when I tell them I’m not going over calories or carbs. I’m just beyond frustrated at this point.

1 hour ago, Happy Stylist said:

Oh y’all. It’s been a little bit since I’m been on this forum. I’m struggling with any weight loss. It’s like I’ve hit a wall for the last 3 months. This is my stats.
SD 4/26/22 / SW 216 / CW 175 / GW 130 / age 50

My team has me under 700 cal and less than 20 carbs a day. I use to basically eat yogurt for almost every meal 🤷🏼‍♀️. But my team say I wasn’t getting enough Protein and my body was probably bored and that was causing my slow down in weight. So they had me to mix things up. So I started eating more Protein (meats, chicken etc) well then I started started gaining 😡. My last weight in back in January was 173. I gained up to 180 when adding back food. Now I’m down to 175 but I can’t get the scale to move. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong 😑. My hair is still falling out and I’m definitely getting my protein and my Vitamin levels are good. I just don’t feel like my team believes me when I tell them I’m not going over calories or carbs. I’m just beyond frustrated at this point.

I would recommend doing a food diary for a month. This will really pinpoint what you may be missing. Water, water, water is almost as crucial as protein. There might be something that you are overlooking.

25 minutes ago, TRAVELRN said:

I would recommend doing a food diary for a month. This will really pinpoint what you may be missing. Water, Water, water is almost as crucial as Protein. There might be something that you are overlooking.

I do that now. And I get 80 oz water a day. That’s why I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Everything on paper looks good. It just completely baffles me

I’m sorry you are going through this frustrating time.

Just throwing a few things out there. I could be widely off the mark but …

Are you eating a good balance of food so you get in a range if nutrients? I’m guilty of having the odd yoghurt meal or Protein only meal but it’s balanced by the variety of food I eat for my other meals throughout that day. Your body needs a variety of nutrients, Vitamins & enzymes to be able to digest & absorb the nutrients, vitamins, etc from what you eat.

Do you predominately eat low or no processed foods i.e. a whole food diet?
Do you consume a lot of artificial sweeteners?
What does your blood test show in relation to vitamins & Proteins, glucose, cholesterol, etc.?

Have you had a liver scan or other tests?

Have you spoken with your surgeon or just the dieticians?
Could there be an absorption issue?
Maybe your body needs more of certain food types like carbs to function more effectively?

The stress & anxiety you’re feeling could be contributing. Certainly adding to your Hair loss I’d think. Viscous cycle in play.

Our bodies usually work to protect us but sometimes can work against us too.

All the best.

Edited by Arabesque

TBH I would want to be looking for a new team. I am shocked by how low your calorie count is. I am also shocked by how accepting your team is of this low calorie count.

I know lots of people on this forum do not get to their goal weight, which is why I set mini goals. Many are heartbroken by this and go off the rails. Have they said your goal weight is attainable for you?

You started at a lower weight than me and I understand that it is harder for lighter people to loose the weight. I did your ideal BMI on a NHS site [ Your USA one may differ] For you it says 120lbs to 159 lbs for a normal weight. So 150 should be attainable. But would I want to stick on 700 calories a day, no. It does not seem healthy

I was told that I needed to be at about 1200 cals a day to loose now and to go up from there to find a maintenance point when I am happy with my weight. How can being on 700 calories for the rest of your life be good for you? If you are over that you gain? You must be starving. It seems totally wrong and very punishing. I wish I could hug you

11 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I’m sorry you are going through this frustrating time.

Just throwing a few things out there. I could be widely off the mark but …

Are you eating a good balance of food so you get in a range if nutrients? I’m guilty of having the odd yoghurt meal or Protein only meal but it’s balanced by the variety of food I eat for my other meals throughout that day. Your body needs a variety of nutrients, Vitamins & enzymes to be able to digest & absorb the nutrients, Vitamins, etc from what you eat.

Do you predominately eat low or no processed foods i.e. a whole food diet?
Do you consume a lot of artificial sweeteners?
What does your blood test show in relation to vitamins & Proteins, glucose, cholesterol, etc.?

Have you had a liver scan or other tests?

Have you spoken with your surgeon or just the dieticians?
Could there be an absorption issue?
Maybe your body needs more of certain food types like carbs to function more effectively?

The stress & anxiety you’re feeling could be contributing. Certainly adding to your Hair loss I’d think. Viscous cycle in play.

Our bodies usually work to protect us but sometimes can work against us too.

All the best.

Honestly when I started adding foods like grilled chicken and other veggies I started noticing that my weight increased. I’ve lost a few of those pounds but not all. I’m not back eating just yogurt and drinking Protein Shakes. Occasionally I’ll eat grilled chicken and veggies but I limit it now.
My Vitamin levels are good. All blood work is good.
yes I’ve talked to my wl team. They haven’t been much help ( in my opinion) they just seem to not believe me 🤷🏼‍♀️
Yes I do have artificial sweeteners. One coffee a day with Splenda and sugar free Creamer. Sugar free Jello and sugar free redi whip
Very little processed food is in my diet. I will eat cheese with my veggies or chichen when I do eat that. Unless what I said above is considered processed. I eat no lunch meat or Protein Bars.
My team has me on low calorie low carb and I stick to it. But occasionally I might go over but it’s not daily or even every other day. I weigh my food and don’t go over the 6 oz of food per meal

I get 80 oz of Water a day.

3 hours ago, summerseeker said:

TBH I would want to be looking for a new team. I am shocked by how low your calorie count is. I am also shocked by how accepting your team is of this low calorie count.

I know lots of people on this forum do not get to their goal weight, which is why I set mini goals. Many are heartbroken by this and go off the rails. Have they said your goal weight is attainable for you?

You started at a lower weight than me and I understand that it is harder for lighter people to loose the weight. I did your ideal BMI on a NHS site [ Your USA one may differ] For you it says 120lbs to 159 lbs for a normal weight. So 150 should be attainable. But would I want to stick on 700 calories a day, no. It does not seem healthy

I was told that I needed to be at about 1200 cals a day to loose now and to go up from there to find a maintenance point when I am happy with my weight. How can being on 700 calories for the rest of your life be good for you? If you are over that you gain? You must be starving. It seems totally wrong and very punishing. I wish I could hug you

From what I understand since I’m still under the 1year mark is the reason for the lower calorie. Honestly at this point I’m scared to even up my calories. When I add back different foods I gain weight. Now I’m just not losing. I feel stuck in the 170s. I’ve been here since November

OMG that is beyond frustrating. The only certainty I've ever had re dieting is that if you get your calorific intake low enough it's impossible NOT to lose weight. Your experience goes against that completely. I would ask my doctor for a full physical and an explanation if I was in your situation. I'm so sorry, the surgery is such a big commitment it's totally unfair that it hasn't worked as you hoped it would (and we all did too).

The only other suggestion I can offer is looking at your exercise regime and whether you could alter that in any way. But that's just to try to make a positive suggestion. Best of luck.

OK dumb question: are you hungry? I realized that I was eating because it was time to eat. Or I ate the whole thing when 2 bites would have done it. I'm going to be honest, I am a fast food/junk food addict. But I ate a couple of bites and put it down. My lab results have generally been good. BTW, I am 4-11, and weighed 194 in Jan. 2022. I am at 126 now. Also, interestingly, in the last month or two I've had to change up the way I eat--not less--just different. I lost 5 pounds in 10 days, so fast it almost scared me. I had been stuck for 2 months. Just food for thought haha.