Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks out and scale isn't budging

My first two weeks I dropped a lot of weight about 21 lbs but I am on the fourth week and have been stuck at about 203. I was at 201 at the end of the first two weeks then I went up two lbs.

I am getting frustrated because I am exercising, hitting my Protein goals/liquid goals and I am not getting above 500 calories a day.

I just feel like crying (I have been crying) and feel like maybe having PCOS that this weight is still not gonna come off even with this surgery.

It sucks to not be able eat most things and go through this to just be stuck like this.

Even if I could just get to 199 within a week I would be happy but I see the scale is going up little by little.

Everyone keeps saying trust the process but I just can't right now.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

There is a three week stall that everyone talks about. I’ve thought about this and another fact that the body “initially” heals in 3-4 weeks. It makes sense to me that the 3-4 week time is when the body is slowing the heal and trying to shift back to maintaining the rest of the body. Then, coming from a calorie deficit, it tries to add weight back on.

I’d also say 500cals is too low, your body may be sensing starvation. Did you team recommend this low of a calorie count?

*ignore I don't know how to use forums and quotes apparently and don't know how to delete this repeated comment*

Edited by lexylynn92
Repeated info

There is a three week stall that everyone talks about. I’ve thought about this and another fact that the body “initially” heals in 3-4 weeks. It makes sense to me that the 3-4 week time is when the body is slowing the heal and trying to shift back to maintaining the rest of the body. Then, coming from a calorie deficit, it tries to add weight back on.
I’d also say 500cals is too low, your body may be sensing starvation. Did you team recommend this low of a calorie count?

No it's just all I can fit.
When I last saw my doc she wanted me to get calories in by any means necessary so she didn't really require me to go through the puree stage but my stomach is definitely making me go through it or I just throw up harder stuff after a bite or two.

I don't try for 500 cals at all I just eat what I can and most importantly try to get Fluid in since I did have bad dehydration at first and I try to prioritize protiens over carb stuff.

My 3-week stall happened at 2 weeks and lasted for almost a month. Hang in there.

And I agree, eating less than 500 calories PLUS exercising sounds like a great way to make your body hang onto every calorie it can get.

yep. It's the infamous "three week stall". Most of us experience it. Just stick to your food plan and stay off the scale for a few days. It'll eventually break and you'll be on your way again. Stalls usually last 1-3 weeks.

Whenever we lose a lot of weight in a short period of time, a substantial amount of the weight loss is actually Water weight not fat. To lose 21 pounds of fat in two weeks, you would have to burn at least 5,500 calories in addition to what you consumed that day. A stall is nothing more than our bodies rehydrating to normal levels. As you are regaining depleted water weight, you are actually losing fat pounds even though the scales are not moving. Don't get discouraged. Once your composition levels normalize, the scales will start registering the fat loss again.

Edited by hills&valleys

Yep stall. It may last 1-3 weeks & you’ll likely experience them again. Think of them as your body taking a break in reaction to all the stress it’s been under (the equivalent of how we may want to close the door & pulling the covers over our head when stressed). It will pass. Stick to your plan, don’t stress your body further by making more changes & it will pass when your body is ready. Oh, and stay off the scales for a few days - it will only frustrate you more.

Edited by Arabesque

22 hours ago, lexylynn92 said:

No it's just all I can fit.
When I last saw my doc she wanted me to get calories in by any means necessary so she didn't really require me to go through the puree stage but my stomach is definitely making me go through it or I just throw up harder stuff after a bite or two.

I don't try for 500 cals at all I just eat what I can and most importantly try to get Fluid in since I did have bad dehydration at first and I try to prioritize protiens over carb stuff.

Slow your eating down and do not drink with meals. 30 min before or after meals no fluids. Take a bite, put the spoon or fork down and chew that stuff up till its practically liquified. If you are dehydrated due to vomiting or dumping syndrome you need to get that straightened out so just do liquids. Protein Drinks, etc. Reset.