Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days away from surgery and cheated

I’m due to have surgery this upcoming Friday. I spent the day out with my daughter today and was completely unprepared. I didn’t bring any of the vegetable Snacks that I’m allowed which is baby carrots, and cucumbers and grape tomatoes nor my Protein Shake.

My daughter wanted to eat pizza and asked why I couldn’t join in the pizza date like I always do (she’s 6 and has no idea what’s going on) and honestly I was starving and that was my green light to cheat. Admittedly, I was looking for an excuse to cheat. I started off getting a healthier option which was cooked salmon and avocado sushi but then I ended up eating half a pizza slice (daughters leftover) plus a few sips of Snapple. My daughter wanted dessert after and I told her fine but mommy is full and won’t be joining in. However when we got to the dessert place (first time going to this place) my amazement at all the options coupled with the fear that oh no I’ll never get to eat this once I have the surgery so I better do it now got the best of me.

I got a piece of cake and almost ate the whole piece.

I’m so mad at myself for it and so embarrassed /scared to tell my nutritionist.

Did anyone else ever mess up this bad right around the time or surgery?? I Don’t even know what to do at this point

I was on my pre-surgical diet for two weeks and cheated a couple times. I'm not proud of myself nor do I recommend anyone not follow their doctor's advice, but I still lost 11 pounds during that period of time and no one said a word about anything being amiss when I went in for my procedure.

Basically, I'd try your best not to do it again but eating one "cheat" meal is not going to undo everything.

You are almost at the finishing line, you have this. Try and keep on track from here to Friday. If you do this you will be fine. It has happened to a few people that their livers were still too fatty to operate on. It kept me, almost on the straight and narrow. I would have hated to be woken from the anaesthetic to be told, sorry we couldn't do the procedure...

I see a few things…

Like Summerseeker says, you are most likely ok but need to get that liver shrunk. So I’m sure your surgery will go fine as long as no more cheats.

The issue I see is that the plan leading up to surgery ( classes, consults, Dr appts, etc) are to get you mind ready for this. Not only before but after surgery. pizza and cake this close to the big day should be looked at with some introspection. Think back on why you cheated. Really think. Because if you cheat in these last days, you may cheat early later. Make sure it’s not a pattern and just a little glitch heading in to surgery.

Thanks Fred. You make a good point. I don’t think the magnitude of what I am about to do really set in for me as crazy as that might sound. I had a lot of other things going on and wasn’t really processing the reality of what I was embarking on.

I spoke to my therapist this morning and my surgeon also and really feel a lot better and mentally stronger. No more games and no more self sabotage from here on out. I have a tendency to not treat myself well or prioritize my health and it has to stop. This new tool (smaller stomach) is supposed to be helping me do just that so I can’t ruin it. Too much on the line.

Harness those feelings, and use them to make better choices in the future!

Think about the guilt/shame/embarrassment that you felt after that meal, maybe even journal about it. What can you do next time to make sure you don't feel bad about yourself next time you are presented with temptation?

Now picture "next time." Your daughter asks you why you don't want pizza or dessert. Picture yourself telling her, that you want to get XYZ instead (salad, salmon, etc), and that you are too full for dessert. Think about how you will feel afterwards, proud of yourself for fueling your body properly, and proud to set such a great example of healthy eating for your daughter.

You can do this!!! Best of luck for your surgery!

25 minutes ago, ChubRub said:

Harness those feelings, and use them to make better choices in the future!

Think about the guilt/shame/embarrassment that you felt after that meal, maybe even journal about it. What can you do next time to make sure you don't feel bad about yourself next time you are presented with temptation?

Now picture "next time." Your daughter asks you why you don't want pizza or dessert. Picture yourself telling her, that you want to get XYZ instead (salad, salmon, etc), and that you are too full for dessert. Think about how you will feel afterwards, proud of yourself for fueling your body properly, and proud to set such a great example of healthy eating for your daughter.

You can do this!!! Best of luck for your surgery!

Thank you I appreciate the encouraging words! I am so so stressed out. I generally don’t do well with change so as it’s coming closer and the reality is hitting me I’m struggling a bit. I know it will all work out in the end. I want this so bad

1 hour ago, Krasavitza said:

Thanks Fred. You make a good point. I don’t think the magnitude of what I am about to do really set in for me as crazy as that might sound. I had a lot of other things going on and wasn’t really processing the reality of what I was embarking on.

I spoke to my therapist this morning and my surgeon also and really feel a lot better and mentally stronger. No more games and no more self sabotage from here on out. I have a tendency to not treat myself well or prioritize my health and it has to stop. This new tool (smaller stomach) is supposed to be helping me do just that so I can’t ruin it. Too much on the line.

Well done! You got this. It’s not easy but your team is there to help and it looks like they did!

I wish you luck in your surgery Friday, I will be sure to say a prayer.

I'm not a medical professional. With that said, I imagine if you get back on track, you'll be fine. Just don't make it a habit of cheating. Some people only do 1 day of pre-op dieting so I imagine that there is a pretty good chance this will not ruin your chance for surgery but I would disclose this information to your surgeon and really buckle down for the next 5 days.

Just read through this thread and am so proud of the accountability you’ve taken for the cheat meals. It was probably really hard to tell your surgery team what happened, but you did it anyway. There is strength in that. We are all going to make mistakes, but your new tummy will act like rails on the wagon so you don’t fall off easily. We will all be here to support you if that happens. Wishing you a successful surgery with an easy recovery ❤️‍🩹 I am going in on Monday, just a few days after you, so you’re not alone! 😊

For me the weeks and days before surgery were harder than after surgery. It takes time to undo our behaviors and habits. Since your surgery date is so close, you undoubtably have taken many positive steps in the right direction, one little tiny half-step back is forgivable. So forgive yourself and know others are with you on this journey!

How important is it for me to tell my doctor? I’m scared/embarrassed to tell
Do tell your surgeon and team. I'm sure it is common, and they have had other cases so don't be embarrassed. Your surgeon will know anyway the second he/she looks at the camera, if your food is anywhere still in your system. Depending upon the person, the whole process can take up to 5 days to get the food completely out.

I know it's almost automatic to assume that post-surgery life is going to be punitive and you'll never ever ever eat any "naughty" thing again but that is untrue. The restrictive phase isn't forever, and there will be pizza and cake in the future. The only difference is you won't be wanting more than a couple of bites, so it'll be an occasional treat and you'll be fine with that!

Once slip up isn't going to ruin things if you've stuck to the pre-op plan well the rest of the time. But absolutely be upfront and honest with the surgeon regardless.

Slips happen so try not to beat yourself up. And as @ChubRub said, use the experience to learn how make better choices in the future. There is a lot to learn & mistakes will happen & that’s okay. You’ll discover & start new habits, be able to more easily make better food choices, be more conscious about portion sizes, & so on & so they fit in with your life. Including how to enjoy pizza with your daughter in the future.

Yes, tell your team. They can help you work out ways to better manage these type of situations in the future.