Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery date is this Thursday March 9. It is coming up very fast as much as I’m excited, I’m getting very nervous. Anyone have advice on dos and don’ts right after surgery? Trying to make sure I have what I need at home for when I get home from hospital too. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance! Michelle

Hydration, walking, and Protein. That’s pretty much all you need to know! Have a variety of sugar free drinks, broth, and popsicles at home, every ounce counts and your body needs it! Some people (including myself) struggle with drinking plain Water right after surgery so having the variety definitely helped. My surgeon wanted two 20 minute walks a day as soon as I went home. When the weather was bad I went to Walmart, Kohl’s, or target to do some laps so that I could get 20 minutes of walking in. Protein Shakes and yogurt were about all I had for the first two weeks, so maybe pick out a few different kinds so that it doesn’t get monotonous. Best of luck!!

Don't overthink it. You will be concentrating on getting your fluids and Protein in. Walk around as much as you can to shift the gas pains. sleep when you are not doing any of these things. Drinking different temperatures can help. Your second week is so much easier.

Everyone gets nervous, we are human and are built to fear the unknown. The hospital staff will put you at ease. Good luck

I’m on day 4 after surgery last Wednesday. Here are my thoughts based on what I just experienced.

On day of surgery, when you wake up, don’t panic. This day and the next day before going home you will feel like total crap. Don’t panic! It gets better quick. You will have pain, pressure, poking nurses, doctors stopping in, house cleaning coming in, sheesh…too much. Don’t panic! Lol

Your first full day home will be very uncomfortable. You will be recovering from surgery, working on almost no sleep, and trying to understand your new plumbing. I had anxiety from the anesthesia, was wicked tired, and cranky. Don’t panic!

Don’t worry about hitting goals on these first two days, people rarely do. Take meds on time, create a schedule. I was on oxy and nausea meds for two days. By day three only Tylenol. See if you prefer hot or cold liquids. I found warm better.

You will feel like an elephant is sitting on your chest…pressure from the gas. Don’t panic, it’s normal and will go away. Even being prepared on this and reading for 5 months, it was bad. Every swallow hurt a bit (pressure flare) but it eases slowly.

By day 4 I feel great, almost normal even. Isn’t the human body amazing? Full liquids, full Protein, no meds.

Remember don’t panic! There were times I wanted too!! (alright, I did a little, most do)

Good luck, you got this!”

And ….

You will have some pain & disconfirm but this passes in a few days. Don’t be surprised if you’re constipated or have unpleasant diarrhoea. The diarrhoea will pass but the Constipation will remain. You may have nausea & may bring up something you ate/drank.

Listen to your body while you are recovering & healing. If it says to rest today, rest. If it say you’re low in energy today, don’t push yourself to exercise. If it says it doesn’t like the taste or smell of something try something else (this can last a few weeks or a few months). Your tummy is sensitive while it is healing so treat it gently.

Follow your plan. And don’t worry if you don’t get all your Protein & Fluid in as long as you’re close - it gets easier to do as you progress. And if something seems odd to you, contact your surgeon or their team.

All the best.

9 hours ago, Fred in Pa said:

I’m on day 4 after surgery last Wednesday. Here are my thoughts based on what I just experienced.

On day of surgery, when you wake up, don’t panic. This day and the next day before going home you will feel like total crap. Don’t panic! It gets better quick. You will have pain, pressure, poking nurses, doctors stopping in, house cleaning coming in, sheesh…too much. Don’t panic! Lol

Your first full day home will be very uncomfortable. You will be recovering from surgery, working on almost no sleep, and trying to understand your new plumbing. I had anxiety from the anesthesia, was wicked tired, and cranky. Don’t panic!

Don’t worry about hitting goals on these first two days, people rarely do. Take meds on time, create a schedule. I was on oxy and nausea meds for two days. By day three only Tylenol. See if you prefer hot or cold liquids. I found warm better.

You will feel like an elephant is sitting on your chest…pressure from the gas. Don’t panic, it’s normal and will go away. Even being prepared on this and reading for 5 months, it was bad. Every swallow hurt a bit (pressure flare) but it eases slowly.

By day 4 I feel great, almost normal even. Isn’t the human body amazing? Full liquids, full Protein, no meds.

Remember don’t panic! There were times I wanted too!! (alright, I did a little, most do)

Good luck, you got this!”

Fred, a question about pain meds…. Did you swallow them whole or crush them? And very stupid question but I need to know… if crushed… how do you even do that?? With what??

5 hours ago, Krasavitza said:

Fred, a question about pain meds…. Did you swallow them whole or crush them? And very stupid question but I need to know… if crushed… how do you even do that?? With what??

They had me taking pills from the day after surgery. I found this odd, but as long as a sip took them down, it was fine. They did say I could crush if I had issues at home. Pharmacies sell plastic pill cutters that have a cutter on one end and a crusher on the other. I cut my larger ones like my 320mg Diovan, it’s a monster. At the hospital, they gave me two 160’s, which were smaller to take.

Once crushed, you can mix it into a drink. I’d try a 1oz cup with the mixed in crushed pill.

Thanks Fred. Do you mind sharing what pain meds you were given? My surgeon said I would be given children’s Tylenol and that makes me worried that it might not be strong enough.

On your own, have you needed to use gas X for gas pain?

1 hour ago, Krasavitza said:

Thanks Fred. Do you mind sharing what pain meds you were given? My surgeon said I would be given children’s Tylenol and that makes me worried that it might not be strong enough.

On your own, have you needed to use gas X for gas pain?

So, out of surgery, they gave me Dilaudid. Second day in hospital was Toridol.

I was sent home with Oxycodone. They said the oxy was for the nerve pain. I was also told to take 1000mg of Tylenol every 4-6 hours and not to miss a dose, let it build up. The Tylenol was for the muscle cramps and pressure. There is regular liquid Tylenol you may want to try.

I was off the Oxy quick as I had no incision pain and didn’t want to get constipated as narcotics slow your digestion. I kept up with the Tylenol for a few more days until pressure subsided. By day 3-4, on nothing for pain.

The gas-x I still take as the broths, Protein Shakes, etc can give gas. I take one in both am and pm.

They also recommended Colace to keep stool soft.

Edited by Fred in Pa

On 3/6/2023 at 5:20 AM, Fred in Pa said:

They had me taking pills from the day after surgery. I found this odd, but as long as a sip took them down, it was fine. They did say I could crush if I had issues at home. Pharmacies sell plastic pill cutters that have a cutter on one end and a crusher on the other. I cut my larger ones like my 320mg Diovan, it’s a monster. At the hospital, they gave me two 160’s, which were smaller to take.

Once crushed, you can mix it into a drink. I’d try a 1oz cup with the mixed in crushed pill.

Ypu can also mix the crushed pill in a bite of applesauce or pudding. For me the taste wasn’t as bad as when it’s in liquid but I’m sure this is just a matter of preference.

Thank you OP for this post and everyone for your input. My surgery is 3/13, and your advice has helped so much! Good luck to you OP 😊

Hope your recovery is going well!

Thank you everyone for your advice and well wishes!! Sorry for not replying earlier or individually. My surgery went well on 3/9 but stayed in the hospital until 3/12 due to issues with labs, pain and unable to drink even sip of Water. I am home now (3/13) pain is better, only hurts when I move positions when I am sitting/laying or if I walk too much. The nausea is the worst part for me. I am finally able to keep sips of water down and some Protein Shakes but it’s been tough I’m not going to lie. However, I keep reminding myself there is only up from here. To anyone who is going through the surgery soon remember to advocate for yourself and if you’re in pain or nauseous while in the hospital. Make sure you let your nurse/Dr. know. And best of luck we all rooting for each other.❤️

On 3/11/2023 at 9:17 AM, mcipanda said:

Thank you OP for this post and everyone for your input. My surgery is 3/13, and your advice has helped so much! Good luck to you OP 😊

Good luck on your surgery!! You got this!! Reach out if you need anything to anyone on here. Make sure you let your nurse/Dr. know if your in pain or need something for nausea that’s what they are there for. Best of luck😁