Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Urea Level is High

Hi , I just got my 6 months bloods and my serum urea level is above range 8.6mmo/L - it's above the higher reference limit .I know we're all devouring a lot of Protein , but I'm concerned about my kidneys and this high urea reading .Does anyone know anything about this ? I've tried to look it up and it just says too much protein can cause high urea levels and kidney problems .Worried now, thanks .

Edited by fed-up
spelling

6 hours ago, fed-up said:

Hi , I just got my 6 months bloods and my serum urea level is above range 8.6mmo/L - it's above the higher reference limit .I know we're all devouring a lot of Protein , but I'm concerned about my kidneys and this high urea reading .Does anyone know anything about this ? I've tried to look it up and it just says too much Protein can cause high urea levels and kidney problems .Worried now, thanks .

Have you made and appointment with your doctor to discuss these results?

Yep, check with your surgeon. A lot of our levels go up (for e.g. oestrogen, liver function, cholesterol, etc.) while we are losing but it’s only a temporary side effect. They may want to do a few tests to ensure there is no other cause - it’s always better to be sure.

Hi all , thanks .I can't see ACR on it .GFR says greater than 90 .

My dietitian has e mailed me , I still don't have her number and she knows this .She has told me get some more Iron from my G.P. - although the G.P. told me to contact the dietitian .I'm not speaking to her now - the diet - until 6th March .She made no mention of my concern around urea .

Pretty much on my own then .Have got some gentle iron arriving today and ester C .

make sure you're drinking lots of fluids - that can help flush things out. Even for those who aren't having potential kidney-related issues, lots of fluids are recommended if you're on a high-protein diet.

I just read that being obese can also affect kidneys and their related values - so it could be that your urea level was high even before surgery (did they do a baseline on your blood values prior to surgery, including your urea levels?). I also read that having WLS normally improves all this.

I agree with Arabesque - we sometimes have abnormal readings of certain values (high liver values seems to be a common one, for one) when we're in the rapid weight loss phase. They usually normalize after a few months, when weight loss slows way down. But your surgeon and/or dietitian should be aware of that. I hope someone gets back to you on this - if nothing else, for peace of mind.

High BUN with a normal creatinine could be due to dehydration.

(Disclaimer: I’m a veterinarian 😊)

Edited by Elidh

1 hour ago, Elidh said:

High BUN with a normal creatinine could be due to dehydration.

(Disclaimer: I’m a veterinarian 😊)

oh duh - I didn't realize that was the same thing! Having had probably 20 cats in my life time, I'm very familiar with the high BUN/normal creatinine thing!

Hey Fedup,

How'd you go when reviewing your levels/have you been tested again?

I too just recieved results and my Urea is high, my egfr is lower than pre-op now too but not less that 60. Creatinine was normal but higher than pre-op and on high side of normal. TProtein and Albulmin are just on the lower side of normal.

GP said it may be dehydration as I also (since blood test) have had diarrhoea BUT maybe the diarrhoea is a result rather than the cause considering the order of them occurring?

I've had a sore back today now too.

I am at weightloss goal and have 60-80g Protein daily as recommended but looking up on how to resolve the kidney function, the readings recommend limiting protein intake.

Do I just increase Water intake or should I limit my Proteins?