Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low On Iron

Randomly recently discovered that caffeine can reduce your absorption of Iron by up to 70%. Advice was not to drink coffee close to (before & after) a meal. Also that the iron used in iron enriched foods like breads & cereals isn’t absorbed easily & are of no real benefit. Also don’t take iron with Calcium (including dairy products) or antacids/PPIs - leave 3 - 4 hours between taking/eating them.

Always seem to be discovering new information that are worth conversations with doctors.

Thanks Arabesque and all .The NHS won't do an infusion .My doctor explained that unless I am severely anaemic they wouldn't even consider it .I found it complicated but she said I have small red blood cells .I do need to carry on taking a ton of Iron but they aren't retesting until the end of May .

I feel wiped out most days and sleep a lot .I told the doctor this and she said nothing .I have told this to the dietitian but have heard nothing back , even though she offered to get my bloods done .So it goes on .

I have a question - do you guys have your dietitians number ? Mine is all done by e mail and you wait ages for a reply .It says in the bumph "you will have access to a dietitian " - this means an e mail address in my case .Anyone else ? thanks

15 hours ago, fed-up said:

I have a question - do you guys have your dietitians number ? Mine is all done by e mail and you wait ages for a reply .It says in the bumph "you will have access to a dietitian " - this means an e mail address in my case .Anyone else ? thanks

I’m in Australia & I had face to face appointments every two weeks until I reached goal then monthly appointments. When Covid hit, we had phone calls for my next 2 scheduled appointments. By then I had sort of stabilised and we left it as I could ring her whenever I needed advice or support. I haven’t had to contact her since then.

On 02/23/2023 at 02:55, fed-up said:

Hi all , I am 6 months out , on Bariatric Pal Multivitamin ONE chewable plus 45mg Iron tablet , but it's still not doing it .I only had the tests done yesterday and first thing today the doctor texted and said you are very low on Iron .She told me to get in touch with my dietician for her to decide what's to be done , but I only have her e mail so don't know when she'll reply .

Has this happened to you ? what did you get told ? please don't suggest including more fruit and veg or red meat into my diet , as I am struggling with "ordinary" food going down as it is .

Many thanks for reading x

I have my surgery on 4/20. I suffer from anemia since I was a child. I’ve gotten infusions throughout my life so I see my hematologist at least 2x a year. Saw him two months ago to get an assessment of what if I get anemic after this surgery. He said Patches. He would prescribe me patches for the low iron. Maybe that’s something you can look into

On 02/26/2023 at 05:13, fed-up said:

Hi all , thanks for your replies .I don't get this .My dietitian wanted me to take 4 Bariforce liquid tabs which would have only given me 36mg Iron .But I got the Baritriatric Pal chewable which has 45mg .Now my Iron is showing low as we know and she's changed her tune and said you should be on 210mg .

On top of that I haven't got her number and now have to wait until the evening of the 6th March to speak to her .I paid privately for this op and it cost a mint here in the UK .I'm not sure she knows what she is doing ! I think I'll have to try and get in to see my G.P. to sort this out . How much iron was everyone else told they need ?

thanks x

See a hematologist. They’re the best at solving iron deficiency. Mine said I could do the patch after surgery if needed. I’ve done infusions before too

On 04/15/2023 at 04:12, fed-up said:

Thanks Arabesque and all .The NHS won't do an infusion .My doctor explained that unless I am severely anaemic they wouldn't even consider it .I found it complicated but she said I have small red blood cells .I do need to carry on taking a ton of Iron but they aren't retesting until the end of May .

I feel wiped out most days and sleep a lot .I told the doctor this and she said nothing .I have told this to the dietitian but have heard nothing back , even though she offered to get my bloods done .So it goes on .

I do have my dieticians number. I email her first and she always gets back to me in a couple hours. I am still preop. I’ve had anemic issues in the past. Mine have required infusions. Met up with hematologist, before my surgery which is in 4/20 , and he advised that if that were the case after surgery he would do Patches first and then an infusion if needed.

Something that might help is getting a cast Iron skillet! It adds iron to your food that’s cooked in it.

This is me 1 year out. I take an extra Iron supplement at a later time of day of my Multivitamin

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg