Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second Round of Restriction???

I am 4 months and a few days post op, RnY gastric bypass. My restriction experience has been as expected. Until a few days ago...

A week ago, I was able to eat about 3-4 ounces of food in one meal. I've been able to eat that for probably about a month. Totally textbook.

All of a sudden, I am full after about 2 ounces. I started forcing myself to finish my food and it has been messing with my head. I know that overeating is a very bad idea, so I've decided to stop doing that. I've only been doing it for about 4 days, so I don't think I've caused myself any long-term damage. But, I'm kinda weirded out about the fact that I'm suddenly having the restriction that I did earlier on.

Has anyone else experienced this?

The nerves that were severed in your stomach have finally knitted back together. This is why you feel the full restriction now. Mine was about 4 months too. I still have a big restriction {whoop whoop } so I have 5 or 6 tiny meals a day. Otherwise my calories are too low to keep up with my busy new life

I'm about 20 years post-op.

From 6 weeks post-op to now my meals are 3-4oz of Protein, 1oz of veggies. I eat until I get full or complete my meal, whichever comes first. Forcing it just causes discomfort and even pain, so I don't do it.

There are days when I take a bite or two and get the signals that I need to stop. I might try again in an hour or just say "f-it" and go on with my day.

My pouch is the boss.

Good luck,

Tek

I have "big pouch days" and "small pouch days". Like Tek said, my pouch is the boss. Unfortunately, I seem to have more "big pouch days" than small. It's a constant battle...

Thanks, everyone! I won't worry about it and I'll let my pouch tell me what to do. :)

Fully agree with @catwoman7 & @The Greater Fool. Your body will tell you what you need & when you’ve had enough. Don’t force yourself to eat more. Eat what you can or need, & pop the leftovers in the fridge. You might have some more of it later in the day (more like mini meals like @summerseeker does) or have it tomorrow which I do.

For ages I was able to eat a recommended portion of rolled oats for Breakfast 1/2cup dry oats). Then about three months ago, I couldn’t. Everyday I was putting leftover porridge in my fridge to finish the next day until I started reducing what I made. I eat - it’s 1/4 - 1/3 cup now. It’s just my breakfast though. Sometimes my restriction can kick in earlier than expected or I realise I don’t need another bite. Same with I have weeks when I’m not really hungry. Haven’t noticed any reason behind these times. Think it’s just our idiosyncratic tummies.

Of course it could be something you’re eating. Like have you changed any of your food? Like are you eating more nutritionally dense foods or foods that are drier or more coarse? Have you added something extra to your diet? It may be a signal your tummy isn’t enjoying something new or not enjoying something you’ve been eating for a while. Our tummy can be fussy & temperamental.

1 minute ago, Arabesque said:

Of course it could be something you’re eating. Like have you changed any of your food? Like are you eating more nutritionally dense foods or foods that are drier or more coarse? Have you added something extra to your diet? It may be a signal your tummy isn’t enjoying something new or not enjoying something you’ve been eating for a while. Our tummy can be fussy & temperamental.

We've been eating more beef roast, lately. But, the restriction is there, no matter what I eat.

I'm just going to chalk it up to a fickle tummy. :)