Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of you who have gotten the sleeve do you wish you had gotten the bypass?

I am 31 female weight 368 5’4 - I’m in the stages of deciding which surgery I’d like to do and I’m concerned about the sleeve being a newer option and not having long term studies as well as I worry about GERD with the sleeve, and the worry of having to get a revision eventually to the bypass if I went with the sleeve

37 minutes ago, Tinkerbell1991 said:

I am 31 female weight 368 5’4 - I’m in the stages of deciding which surgery I’d like to do and I’m concerned about the sleeve being a newer option and not having long term studies as well as I worry about GERD with the sleeve, and the worry of having to get a revision eventually to the bypass if I went with the sleeve

I absolutely love my sleeve. BUT, I have to have a revision to bypass because it caused me MAJOR gerd issues. I didn't have any kind of gerd or reflux pre surgery, so I chose the sleeve. But it's caused horrible gerd, which made me need very high dose of PPI long term and gave me gastritis and esophagitis. The PPI caused pre cancerous polyps all through my stomach (3 different kinds, all different sizes) that require multiple procedures to remove them. Once that's done and I'm cleared, I have to have a revision to the bypass. If it wasn't for this, I would be ecstatic with my sleeve. I lost 110 pounds in 9 months. I went from a size 10 ring to a size 7. I went from a size 28/30 in clothes to 18/20. I got off my blood pressure medication and all 3 diabetes meds. I'm able to go BEAST MODE in my work outs. I wish I didn't have to get the bypass, but here we are. So just do your research because even if you don't have any gerd issues at all, the sleeve can cause it and you may end up with a revision to the bypass anyway.

If you have a history of acid reflux, the surgeon may not let you choose which surgery to do, they will recommend the bypass. I had the bypass about 5 months ago and it has almost cured my acid reflux. I was taking omeprozole daily and am now on Pepcid and almost feel like I can stop taking that now. Good luck!

I had the sleeve, I had GERD and was taking prescribed meds for it. My doctor did not advise me which one to do. I am 3 years out and I am very happy where I am at weigh wise. Started at 250 currently between 130-140. I was not really into them rerouting my intestines' and all that stuff. But that is just me lol.

I still have heartburn issues but I pretty much know what to eat to keep it at bay. I still will take OTC meds. Best of Luck on your journey

I went with bypass for the exact same reasons you're thinking of. I had GERD prior to surgery, and I didn't want to take the risk of it getting worse (sleeve doesn't ALWAYS make it worse, and for some people, it actually gets better, but the risk of it getting worse was too high for my comfort, so I went with bypass). Also, I had my surgery almost eight years ago, and at that point, standalone sleeve surgery was still kind of a new thing, and I was afraid it might turn out to be "Lapband 2". It's been around long enough at this point that I wouldn't have that particular fear anymore, but if I had to decide today, i'd still go with bypass because of my previous GERD issues.

your surgeon may recommend bypass anyway since you have GERD. Bypass usually improves if not outright cures GERD. My surgeon said he'd do either one, but he wanted me to at least strongly consider bypass because of the GERD issue. It didn't take much to convince me to go in that direction.

I've been very happy with my bypass and am glad I decided to go with it.

For me I chose the sleeve because bypass was going to lead to a lifetime of absorption issues and problems with medication I take daily. I’ve feel like there is no reasons to mess with two organs and add additional issues. With absorption if you can achieve success without doing it from both an evolutionary perspective and quality of life. GERD runs in my family but I didn’t experience it before the sleeve, and post sleeve it’s been v mild and occasional at most. If you don’t currently have an issue with GERD or have one that can be controlled by diet and your surgeon recommends the sleeve why subject yourself to a lifetime of malabsorption and dumping?

On 02/20/2023 at 08:02, smc124 said:

For me I chose the sleeve because bypass was going to lead to a lifetime of absorption issues and problems with medication I take daily. I’ve feel like there is no reasons to mess with two organs and add additional issues. With absorption if you can achieve success without doing it from both an evolutionary perspective and quality of life. GERD runs in my family but I didn’t experience it before the sleeve, and post sleeve it’s been v mild and occasional at most. If you don’t currently have an issue with GERD or have one that can be controlled by diet and your surgeon recommends the sleeve why subject yourself to a lifetime of malabsorption and dumping?

Let’s not talk bad about other surgeries on here. This forum is for support and advice. Not every one has malabsorption issues or experiences dumping. I haven’t had the bypass long enough yet but so far so good for me. With that said, if you have a history of GERD, the sleeve is not a good choice because it can make it worse. GERD is not something to mess around with. I watched my father die of esophageal cancer. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. The #1 cause of esophageal cancer is prolonged GERD. Just something to think about. I considered the sleeve, but my doctor highly discouraged it because he knew my history with GERD and he said I would most likely regret it. As someone who had a lapband and had to have it removed, the bypass was the clear choice. Everyone is different though.

I had Gastric Bypass. I did it for the malabsorption and the dumping. Never had GERD, never cared about GERD, don't have GERD now. But I did have more than 1/4 ton to lose. The only consideration is what one surgery could give me the best chance of success. I didn't want a do over. In fact my surgeon made it clear, no do overs.

Malabsorption is one of those things you don't know if you have any or too much until you get blood work done. Generally my labs are great, aside from some anemia that comes and goes, but nothing that can't be dealt with.

I take plenty of serious meds that my medical team were not worried about in the slightest. They knew they could adjust whatever would be needed whether from malabsorption or weight loss.

Fortunately, when it comes do dumping I lucked out. I dump like, well, a big dumping dump truck on sugars and fats. It's amazing how few times you need to dump to learn to stay away from certain foods. And stay away. For 20 years, so far.

I've also maintained my weight loss for 20 years. Not a single regret about my surgery choice.

Having said the above, my choice fit my priorities. Make sure your choices fit yours.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

It depends a lot on your situation. I chose the sleeve because I don’t have as much weight to lose and didn’t want the risk of dumping. I also still hope to have kids, and the sleeve is favorable for that.

Part of why the bypass is recommended for those with a higher BMI is because of the malabsorptive factor. It’s not a “bad” thing it’s simply one of the facts about the surgery. The body has less time to absorb and use the calories consumed. There are definitely pros and cons to both surgeries, so discuss with your surgeon what would be best for you.

I have a sleeve, and when I was experiencing severe acid reflux in the beginning, I had some regrets about not going for bypass. At over a year out I seem to have less difficulties with various foods than my friends who had bypass (I can more or less eat whatever I'd like in reasonable quantities), and I feel like in my own particular situation, I may have had even more difficulty than I already do with keeping what weight I have left ON...I have been attempting "maintenance" for about 4 months now and still am losing 2-3 pounds a month, and I am done actively trying to lose. It's actually hard to eat enough to maintain my current weight.

02/20/2023 04:26 PM, PNWGAL said:

Let’s not talk bad about other surgeries on here. This forum is for support and advice. Not every one has malabsorption issues or experiences dumping. I haven’t had the bypass long enough yet but so far so good for me. With that said, if you have a history of GERD, the sleeve is not a good choice because it can make it worse. GERD is not something to mess around with. I watched my father die of esophageal cancer. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. The #1 cause of esophageal cancer is prolonged GERD. Just something to think about. I considered the sleeve, but my doctor highly discouraged it because he knew my history with GERD and he said I would most likely regret it. As someone who had a lapband and had to have it removed, the bypass was the clear choice. Everyone is different though.

Apologies - on re-read I can see how this came off that way. I’m a lawyer and it is my curse to be using overly persuasive language even when it’s not my intention. I meant no offense and certainly understand why GERD would play a big role in the decision for someone who’s had it previously- I perhaps misread the OP’s concern about GERD to be about future GERD and not previously having it as well.

Regardless the right surgery is ultimately the one that will make each of us thrive based on on personal needs and that’s only appropriately determined on an individual basis.

What was most important for me to convey to the OP was the malabsorption of daily medications - as someone who takes adderall for adhd, and occasionally Xanax for anxiety malabsorption for me could have been crippling. This was front of mind for me in seeing a recent post of someone 10 years out who had struggled with the same for her anxiety meds.

I apologize if what I actually typed seemed like a rant against bypass. I think it’s an amazing life saving surgery and value all my BariatricPal bypass havers for the fantastic support they’ve provided me.

Finally thank you for teaching me something about malabsorption I was under the mistaken impression unlike dumping it was experienced by all bypass patients and now I know better.

For me, it was the decision due to certain medication I was taking and continue to need that was the deciding factor for a sleeve. Interesting enough, I recently have had major Vitamin and mineral deficiencies and major anemia. I am past menopause, so that wasn't it. I had a hiatial hernia bleed. Was it associated with my sleeve that I have had for 12 years ? Surgeon who went in and did an endoscopy said "no". but I recalled my mom and grandmother and a maternal aunt all had the same issue. guess what ? Me too. at 66 years old. Genetics. So NOW I am on Protonix and lots of medications to heal it up. I do not want surgery if I can avoid it. My sleeve still works. Dr said I have a normal sleeve structure ! I have lost 150 something pounds. I am happy with my sleeve. If I was told I needed to have a revision.... I guess I would but all is well.

On 2/19/2023 at 11:24 PM, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I absolutely love my sleeve. BUT, I have to have a revision to bypass because it caused me MAJOR gerd issues. I didn't have any kind of gerd or reflux pre surgery, so I chose the sleeve. But it's caused horrible gerd, which made me need very high dose of PPI long term and gave me gastritis and esophagitis. The PPI caused pre cancerous polyps all through my stomach (3 different kinds, all different sizes) that require multiple procedures to remove them. Once that's done and I'm cleared, I have to have a revision to the bypass. If it wasn't for this, I would be ecstatic with my sleeve. I lost 110 pounds in 9 months. I went from a size 10 ring to a size 7. I went from a size 28/30 in clothes to 18/20. I got off my blood pressure medication and all 3 diabetes meds. I'm able to go BEAST MODE in my work outs. I wish I didn't have to get the bypass, but here we are. So just do your research because even if you don't have any gerd issues at all, the sleeve can cause it and you may end up with a revision to the bypass anyway.

This is what is holding me back from surgery. I am self pay and would have the surgery in Mexico. If I ended up needing a revision, I wouldn’t be able to afford it.

I’m 2 weeks PO today, I had the sleeve. I started having SEVERE intermittent heartburn a few days ago. It’s sometimes to the point it actually is hurting in my ears and throat. I have never felt anything like this. I’m still on puréed food so nothing I’m eating I would think would cause it. I’m losing my freaking mind it’s so uncomfortable. Does this pass? Does this seem like something I should escalate to my dr? I have my 4 week post op check in 2 weeks. I had no idea the sleeve could cause this for some people and now I’m kinda freaking out a little.

Call your doctor. Like immediately. This should not be happening. Not with the kind of pain you are experiencing. You are very much post surgical and need medical advice.