Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cannot lose any weight after 1 week post op!

So I haven’t been able to lose any weight since the 2nd week mark of my weight loss journey.
I’m 4 weeks out today & ive only lost 6.7kg (1.1 ish stone) I’m feeling so disheartened and don’t know what to do or what I could try.
My diet plan from the company I had my surgery with, was awful! I’m not even sure what foods I should and shouldn’t be on.
I don’t know how many calories I’m aiming for or capping at…. What exercises are allowed other than walking. I’m just really struggling at this point and I’m not getting decent results, especially compared to those surrounding me! Like seriously it’s turnt my life upside down (which I could live with if the results were decent) and the results aren’t changing.
One whole week. My weight loss stood at exactly 6.7kg loss (the exact same to last week.)

Any help? Or anyone going through the same!!?

the infamous three-week stall (doesn't always happen the third week, but sometime during the first month, almost all of us experience our first major stall). Here are past posts on it that I just did a search for:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/search/?q=three week stall

17,501 posts!

There are a lot of factors that go into weight - hydration, Constipation, fat loss vs Water loss. It can be extremely frustrating to not see a change on the scale but trust the process! The weight loss is not linear. As for your diet plan - is there someone you can reach out to at the office to answer those questions for you? My surgeon just has Protein and hydration goals - no calorie limit. For reference it ended up being about 600-700 calories per day in the soft food stage.

I will suggest staying away from the scale, just do once a week, and if you see no changes, do every 2 weeks. It is common for people to have stalls and fluctuation in the weight due to Water retention etc.

I would weight myself more often in the beginning but realized the pressure I was putting myself on so moved to twice a week or once a week and I have not seen any stalls and I concentrate on the whole picture not just on one week, otherwise I tend to have obsessive behavior with my intake.

Stalls are very common & yes, the first one usually occurs at week 3 though it can be earlier or later than that. They usually last 1-3 weeks too. They’re your body shutting down & taking a time out in reaction to the stress it’s been under (surgery, reduced calorie intake, etc.). Stick to your plan & it will break when your body is ready & the weight loss will start again.

Go back to your team & ask for more information. You’re paying them to support you & you have the right to ask for what ever information you need to feel comfortable & confident about this process & what you have to or can do . We all have different needs (what I was told may not be completely right for you) & they should be there for you.

Can’t complain about an almost 7kg weight loss in 4 weeks especially with a stall. I’d lost about the same in my first month (& I never really stalled during that time). My surgeon & dietician were very happy. Not sure of your starting weight, but remember those people who lose those large amounts of weight seen in programs like My 600lb Life started at very high weights. And they only lose at that rate in the beginning.

Thankyou so much for your advice. I will take time away from scales & start just try benefitting my life.. I’m at a 8kg weight loss now at 5 weeks so I’m hoping I’m turning it around a little x

On 02/27/2023 at 08:15, aaleee97 said:

I’m on week 5, what calories should I be aiming for? ❤️

On week 5 you should still really only be focused on your Protein and hydration 60+ gr of protein 64+ oz of Water. At 5 weeks out my food tracker tells me I was getting around 600 calories a day, but I wasn’t counting calories per my team’s instructions… only focusing on protein and hydration.

I am so sorry they left you so unprepared! That's horrible

On 03/01/2023 at 11:08, qtdoll said:

I am so sorry they left you so unprepared! That's horrible

Thankyou, I really appreciate that you’ve messaged. I hate how unprepared and lost I still feel but everyday I gradually find something new, still would love a diet plan. But have hardly lost much compared to everyone else, weigh day Saturday… hopefully there’s some change! x

I am four weeks out today. Had VSG 4/28. I’ve lost 19 pounds, but the majority of that was in the first week (15 lbs). I am very discouraged right now. Feel like I spent all of this money and am sacrificing food and not seeing a weight loss.

I am four weeks out today. Had VSG 4/28. I’ve lost 19 pounds, but the majority of that was in the first week (15 lbs). I am very discouraged right now. Feel like I spent all of this money and am sacrificing food and not seeing a weight loss.

I lost 16 lbs my first month. I don't understand why you would feel discouraged at this point. 19 lbs = 66,500 calories. I would say your WLS is doing it's job.