Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ah yes, the "big boned" classic! I truly believed it myself for most of my life. Looking at my body now, I can see that I have broad shoulders, but my bones look pretty standard-issue to me.

1 hour ago, JessieJay85 said:

Like who’s family ever made excuses when you were heavy? Like, girl you just big boned?!🤣🤣🤣🤣 Or but, you have a pretty face though!! 🤦🏾‍♀️🙄💀

277C4F9C-94C6-4C5A-A6E7-A7CC5A701472.jpeg

C4C76CBD-751A-417E-820D-1A793327337B.jpeg

8F82BFD6-7324-4EF8-AD16-13338884EA34.jpeg

For all the "big boned" comments I heard growing up, I should have been over 6' tall! That's a classic.

You look great, by the way!

Yes, I’ve heard it. Not really from my family but I used the big boned excuse myself. A lot! Many years ago I went to a large chain weight loss centre where they measured my wrist & told me I was large boned. I clung to that from that day on.

Logically I should have known I wasn’t. I mean I’m short & it was obvious I didn’t have a large skeletal frame when I wasn’t carrying weight in the past. Truth is I actually have a smaller frame. The ‘large bones’ they measured was just fat around my wrist.

28 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

The ‘large bones’ they measured was just fat around my wrist.

same.

1 hour ago, Arabesque said:

Yes, I’ve heard it. Not really from my family but I used the big boned excuse myself. A lot! Many years ago I went to a large chain weight loss centre where they measured my wrist & told me I was large boned. I clung to that from that day on.

Logically I should have known I wasn’t. I mean I’m short & it was obvious I didn’t have a large skeletal frame when I wasn’t carrying weight in the past. Truth is I actually have a smaller frame. The ‘large bones’ they measured was just fat around my wrist.

Me: Large wrist and ankle bones…

Really interesting thread!! Firstly - OP you look amazing. Bet you feel fabulous too.

I have always fitted the criteria for being small boned by my wrist measurement, even at my heaviest, despite the fact that I was 5'10" in my heyday and am even now kind of built like a rugby player (American football for most of you lot)!

Honestly, the more generalisations I become aware of re the human body (BMI anyone???) the less I believe any of them. We're all so very different.

Oh, the things we used to tell ourselves lol. I've always thought that I'm a big boned guy until recently when I had to change my watch bands because they don't fit anymore. "Don't fit" has a whole new meaning now 🤣.

On 2/18/2023 at 8:00 PM, omrhsn said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 That is too funny!!!!

Oh, the things we used to tell ourselves lol. I've always thought that I'm a big boned guy until recently when I had to change my watch bands because they don't fit anymore. "Don't fit" has a whole new meaning now 🤣.

You might be suprised...I always thought I was "big boned" but apparently I was hiding a really small frame underneath all that.

Oh yes… I was the first girl born in a family where all of the men are built like linebackers. I was told I was big boned my whole life because my mother was comparing me to my dad and uncles. She was 5’7” 120lbs most of my life. I didn’t get all of my genes from my dad and I’M A GIRL!

OMG yes… growing up my family used to say “you can’t really help it, you’re big boned” and my Dad would apologize “I’m sorry honey, I gave you my stalky frame and big bones”

”you’re a bull in a glass shop”

my mom would say “yes honey you’re overweight, but you have such a beautiful face!”

the pity, the excuses on my behalf… the consolation prize. The silver lining. I’m so done with it and the years of internalized self hate.

thank goodness for therapists.

My dad would always tell me we're "built for comfort, not for speed" lol.

On 3/10/2023 at 3:19 PM, RaiderRhode said:

My dad would always tell me we're "built for comfort, not for speed" lol.

Literally made me lol 😂