Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings, Earthlings, I Come in Peace

@Deep6, you are so right. Advil was what started me on the GERD path and of course, Covid was such a convenient time to make bad eating and drinking choices. No more excuses for me. Time to get on with the good life. I'm viewing this as a new adventure and that I am on a new exciting journey. We shall see.

OK, had the gastric bypass and hiatal hernia repair on June 6, spend the night in the hospital. Was actually able to sleep without normal sleeping drugs- because I was exhausted- got up at 3:30am to head to hospital and I think the trauma of surgery wiped me out. But, it went well- all work was done laparoscopically without the need to open me up (I was told that was a possibility if they could not do it all laproscopically).

I'm now on a full liquid diet. Pain relief is accomplished without any opioids- using gabapentin, Tylenol and Celebrex. Am supposed to refrain from any Protein Drinks for 3 days after surgery and will start adding Vitamin supplements after first (2-4 weeks) phase. There was very little bleeding (I got off blood thinners several days before surgery). I'm surprised at how good I feel- I did take a long nap after I got home- but did a fair amount of walking today (the first day after surgery).

Since I am now post-op, should I start another thread or just continue this one? Thanks for your support. All the folks at the hospital and surgical team were very helpful, pleasant, they even have a discharge lounge to enable those who rely on ride shares to be picked up in a dedicated driveway. (My wife helped here with visits and transportation).

Congratulations. It must be such a relief to have the surgery done. I'm just starting and it feels like it will be a very long time before I jump through all the hoops and i'll be able to say that I'm "post-op", but I'll be patient.

Wishing you the best in your journey.

@KD in CT- the surgery is almost the least of it- you'll spend far more time getting sign offs, sitting in doctor's offices waiting and getting tests done, no one of which takes much time, but cumulatively, seems to take forever. Realistically, though, it was only several months. No real pain either- I'm on one of these advanced pain relief protocols that does not involve any dope and though I'm not a tough guy on pain, I haven't experienced much at all. A little soreness if I bend, but otherwise, it's working. Now embarking on liquid diet- the pre-op diet I was on was lo cal, hi Protein but normal food in smaller portions until the 14th day- then liquid. They made this easy.

Seems like your doctor has things clearly set up for and is proactive in making it a good experience. I feel the same about the group I chose. I'm still not sure my insurance will cover it, but we will see. Either way, I am determined to do all I can do to make it happen. Hope things continue to go well for you. You have a good attitude. You mentioned that you want to travel, where is the first trip you will eventually take?

I have a few places on my list, some more local, some more adventurous. I owe a visit to a friend in Utah to hear his hi-fi system which is over the top (one of my things is records). We live in Austin now, ex NY, so there's lots of driving adventures in Texas-- the countryside is beautiful, especially out west and up north where the horse ranches are. Long term- I have a dear friend in Hong Kong and want to visit Japan with somebody who knows their way around. We also used to do spur of the moment traveling, but with cats, we need to line up coverage for any lengthy trip- when I was in NY, it was easy to get to Europe; now it is more involved but we are overdue for trips there- we used to go to Paris and the countryside a lot. I'm more inclined to travel in Eastern Europe, outside the "war zone." We'll see.

Sounds fabulous. My husband and I have spent the last couple of years only traveling to west coast to see the grandkids a couple of times a year, but are ready to have some adventures for ourselves again. We have two cats and there is a great place nearby that watches them (it's more like a cat spa) they have their own window with a bird feeder and when they get to roam each day, they can watch fish tanks or an iPad with birds and chipmunks. I bit pricey but they are in good hands so that helps. I think one of the first things I'll do when my surgery gets approved is plan a great trip at 18 months out, to really Celebrate. It's always nice to have something to look forward to. Have a great day.

Thank you. Something to look forward to-- we took a trip to Alaska last year and I had a really hard time, out of breath, didn't have stamina. Hopefully, with this change of life, it will be easier.