Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BARELY any weight loss in first two weeks??

Have you seen your surgical team and maybe had some labs drawn ? It might be helpful.

"At the moment it takes me about 10-12 hours to drink a litre at most and I’ve tried things like fruit juices and teas etc…I just feel like I’m constantly forcing myself - on top of forcing myself to have Protein Shakes and Soups and all the purées,"

Fruit juice and other liquid sugars are the enemy. Sugar retains Water as strongly as salt/sodium. And liquid sugar spikes insulin which puts energy/glycogen into your fat cells rather than letting your body burn it. High insulin is probably driving your hunger.

I had to prioritize water over Protein for a couple weeks. Slowly I was able to up my protein close to my goal of 80 g per day.

When I forget to drink enough at first I would rapidly lose weight. (Water weighs about 8 lbs per gallon.) Then my weight loss would stall or even go up as I rehydrated. If I stay hydrated the my weight comes down about a pound per day.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

15 hours ago, bigoverthinker said:

"At the moment it takes me about 10-12 hours to drink a litre at most and I’ve tried things like fruit juices and teas etc…I just feel like I’m constantly forcing myself - on top of forcing myself to have Protein Shakes and Soups and all the purées,"

fruit juice and other liquid sugars are the enemy. Sugar retains Water as strongly as salt/sodium. And liquid sugar spikes insulin which puts energy/glycogen into your fat cells rather than letting your body burn it. High insulin is probably driving your hunger.

I had to prioritize Water over Protein for a couple weeks. Slowly I was able to up my Protein close to my goal of 80 g per day.

When I forget to drink enough at first I would rapidly lose weight. (Water weighs about 8 lbs per gallon.) Then my weight loss would stall or even go up as I rehydrated. If I stay hydrated the my weight comes down about a pound per day.

But I'm not hungry at all. I'm not eating lmao.

Also I tried the juices, it's not something I still drink to this day. My body isn't the biggest fan of citrus so I tried about two glasses over two weeks and stopped.

Have you found anything to help you?
I'm in the same boat and feel hesitant about making my own post because when I talk about not losing weight after the surgery the questions feel like they turn into what am I doing wrong.
I can barely eat the highest I hit in a day was 1000 calories and that was a very active day. Most the time it's in the 500 cal range. I hit my protien and Water goals.
My surgeon says I'm doing the right things and wants to check my gallbladder.

It honestly feels like I'm in that percent that this surgery just doesn't work for and it feels like you can't talk about it.

im roughly 6 weeks out and am finding weight is coming off a bit quicker than it was (but im a lower BMI to begin with, so not as quick as many). i think it is REALLY important to NOT compare yourself to others. Its really hard NOT to do, I know, but if you are doing what you are supposed to, and being HONEST about that, than it will work. the SURGERY does not fail, PEOPLE do. Also often we lose inches and not numbers on the scale, and vice versa. important to not only go by ONE metric. I only do my measurements once a month (i weight twice a week) and am dying to do my measurements again but am forcing myself to wait till the 1st. lol its painful at this point LOL

hang in there everyone!

I had my first follow up with my surgeon last night as this week makes it 6 weeks. I told him all my concerns that I shared in this thread and he basically told me to stop comparing myself to everyone else, as people lose weight at different speeds. He also told me that I don't need to be juggling down the 50g Protein Shakes I have been doing as it's all liquid calories, and that now I can eat solid foods again, to concentrate more on food Protein than Liquid Protein.

He said he's very happy with my progress, although I don't know if I believe him? I've stalled for the last three weeks and put on a pound this week, but he seems to be happy that I've lost a stone since 31st January. Personally, I think it's very slow.

But I guess that's part of the comparison stuff isn't it? I'm moving house so I've packed my scales away and am going to try and weigh myself once every two weeks.

comparison is the thief of joy and your doctor is absolutely correct. I have not been doing shakes at all since week 3. It definitely takes planning, but is doable. Honestly, in your situation, I would weigh less often than weekly. I would do every 2 weeks or even once a month. your doctor is happy, that says a lot about your progress. youve lost a stone! think about a time when THAT would have seem like a fantasy! youve got this! stay consistent! only compare you to YOU.

On 3/13/2023 at 1:44 PM, MaameWata said:

Hey!

I've put on 2lbs this week, but I'm putting it down to the stress of moving house (I'm currently in the packing/clearing out stages) and not making room for exercise. I'm also officially back onto solid, normal foods so I'm assuming there will probably be some weight gain there too.

I'm in this boat, as well. I lost a good amount of weight from pre-op diet and from my first two weeks post-op, but since then the scale has barely moved for me. I am back onto solid foods now that I'm more than three weeks post-op, and I'm tracking everything I eat and even walking/moving more than pre-op.

I've started some very light resistance training because I'm afraid of losing muscle instead of fat. But I was hoping to see a faster weight loss than what I'm currently seeing. I think because so many people tell you it'll happen fast, but in the moment it seems so slow.

How are you since you last updated? I hope you're well.

40 minutes ago, BrandiBird said:

I'm in this boat, as well. I lost a good amount of weight from pre-op diet and from my first two weeks post-op, but since then the scale has barely moved for me. I am back onto solid foods now that I'm more than three weeks post-op, and I'm tracking everything I eat and even walking/moving more than pre-op.

I've started some very light resistance training because I'm afraid of losing muscle instead of fat. But I was hoping to see a faster weight loss than what I'm currently seeing. I think because so many people tell you it'll happen fast, but in the moment it seems so slow.

How are you since you last updated? I hope you're well.

I feel you!

I haven't weighed myself as of yet as I'm a bit scared to, tbh. I think I've probably gained weight. I'm going to weigh myself next week as I'm coming on 9 weeks post-op with less than 30lbs weight loss. I still have problems with Water (especially when working all day) and I don't count/track calories due to old eating disorder habits that focused on counting calories.

I'm starting the gym next week too, so I'm hoping that will work!

Hey guys,

Apologies for not updating this thread. I've been personally struggling with this weight loss despite everything. I've lost a bit more weight, but even with the help of the dietician, the weight loss is incredibly slow and it's still making me feel like a failure. On average it seems like I lose about 3 pounds a month despite the high Protein intake, small meals, liquids and exercise.

Today I woke up feeling particularly upset, as I started a 4 mile walking challenge to see if I could walk four miles every day for a week (in the morning). Today is Wednesday (day 3) and before i started walking, I decided to weigh myself. I've put on 2 and a half pounds since this SATURDAY just gone! I weighed myself yesterday morning too and I've put on a pound since then.

I won't lie. I just burst into tears. I feel like i've been doing everything right. I'm burning around 3500 calories a day, according to my Fitbit watch. I'm eating/drinking between 50-80g of protein. I'm drinking my 2 liters of liquids and I'm still eating from a side plate, always prioritizing the protein first.

I'm doing everything, but I feel like my body is rebelling against me. Everything in my being is telling me to start fasting and to start doing liquid diets/slimfast shakes again, but because I have a history of eating disorders, I don't want to lean back into old habits in order to lose weight.

I bought slimfast meals two weeks and did the liquid diet/pouch reset for two days and lost a pound and a half - but I don't want to rely on only having liquids in order to lose weight. I've been loitering between 243-240lbs for over a MONTH now with no budge. I'm so disappointed in myself and it feels like all the exercise i'm doing is in vain. :(

Has anyone gone through similar?

Edited to add: My goal weight is 215lbs. Being bigger/curvy runs in my family, and I actually like being a little bigger as I find curves attractive so I purposely did not want to be unrealistic when setting my final goal. I've read elsewhere on the forum that weight loss can be harder when you're getting nearer to your goal or when you're in the last 20-30lbs of weight loss. Is this true?

Edited by MaameWata
added for clarity

I too didn’t lose any weight until now- post op day 11. And I was also told it’s due to the fluids they pumped me full of in the hospital. I lost 33 lbs pre surgery and now in the last 2 days I’ve lost 5