Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss and extensions?

I would like to know this too, and the best wig brands etc.

My friend did, she had to take them out the y3 days later as clumps of hair were coming out with the extension.

I would think a good cut or wig would be better.

On 2/8/2023 at 3:49 PM, happynewbie said:

I’m losing quite a bit of hair and I’m 10 weeks post-op. Has anybody here gotten extensions to help with hair volume? How did it work out?

It's funny. I was just contemplating extensions as well. My naturally curly hair got super dry around 10 weeks and my hair was bypassing tangles and becoming knots. Out of frustration and a little bit of post-VSG depression I gave myself a big chop. I'm going to get consult with my hairdresser to assess the strength of my hair.

4 hours ago, UnicornR'Us said:

It's funny. I was just contemplating extensions as well. My naturally curly hair got super dry around 10 weeks and my hair was bypassing tangles and becoming knots. Out of frustration and a little bit of post-VSG depression I gave myself a big chop. I'm going to get consult with my hairdresser to assess the strength of my hair.

That will be the anaesthetic coupled with the stress of the surgery itself. Many find their hair temporarily changes texture (more coarse, finer, etc.) after any surgery not just weight loss. Then add in the reduced diet with our diet, our natural Hair loss cycle is accelerated. Double hair whammy. 😁.

10 hours ago, SuziDavis said:

My friend did, she had to take them out the y3 days later as clumps of hair were coming out with the extension.

I wondered if that would happen too as the extension is attached to your hair which is more likely to fall out after our surgery. Tape extensions may be better???

i would wait to with the hair extensions until after you pass the Hair loss stage.

the extensions will simply fall out with your already shedding hair. worse, it may inadvertently pull out the hair that didn't shed because of the increased stress on them.

i understand it totally sucks when i are on the throes of it, but it really is only temporary.

i chopped off all my hair as well at 3 months post. im 4+ years out and it is now well past my underboobs. And thicker, yay! And curlier (weird, but also yay!)

Hang in there! ❤️

I'm with Bariatric Legend on this. They make good wigs out there that look very natural. Adding more stress to your scalp won't help. Hang in there!

I was tired of being happy to find clothes and hairstyles that were “ adequate.” So I went down the rabbit hole of Kibbe typing, finding my “essence,” and getting my colors done. By the time my hair got disastrous I had a plan with a new hair dresser to get a shorter style that flattered me. Yes, I do miss my long silver tresses, but my overall look is so much more feminine and professional. Weekend warrior style is just as easy. You can turn this into a wonderful adventure into living your best life both internally and externally. (Sorry, I’m a special need’s teacher and mom so I’m paid for positive thinking.) There’s a million YouTube videos waiting for anyone of any potential to discover!