Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No energy 5 days post op sleev

Hi,

I'm 5 day post op and have ZERO energy. On a clear liquid diet until Tues, complete with a min 60 grams of Protein from shakes. I am now able to get 60-70 g protein daily and drinking all the Water I can tolerate.. I also have 1/2 cup diluted 100% grape juice to get some carbs. Is it normal to be WIPED OUT even after naps and the daily recommended protein and water?? I almost feel weak like I have the flu but know I don't.

Yes. I was in bed for most of the week following my surgery taking slightly longer walks each day. I was up and around almost like nothing happened the second week with the exception of the need for a nap in the afternoon or super early bedtime.

I’m two months out now and I’m still dealing with some fatigue … I go to bed early and my swim speed is still about 10sec/200yds behind my pre-surgery pace but definitely night and day from the week immediately following surgery.

Remember surgery is a major trauma to your body and we heal the most efficiently at rest. Make sure you are getting some walks in but allow yourself the rest :)

This is perfectly normal. You’ve just undergone a pretty major surgery & your recovering & healing. Listen to your body. If it says rest or nap, have a rest or have a nap. (Wish I could still justify an afternoon nap 😁.) How long this current lack of energy will last as it will depend upon how you heal & recover. And you may have another period of low energy in a couple of months - it’s our body getting used to the changes.

Try adding an electrolyte drink to your Fluid roster. Try to get your fluids & Protein in. It may be difficult to begin but keep working at it. It does get easier & you will feel stronger & have more energy as you progress.

All the best.

yep. Normal. You just went through major surgery. It took about two months before I felt completely back to normal, but you get better and better every day. The first couple weeks are the hardest. BUT....they'll soon be over!

7 hours ago, Arabesque said:

This is perfectly normal. You’ve just undergone a pretty major surgery & your recovering & healing. Listen to your body. If it says rest or nap, have a rest or have a nap. (Wish I could still justify an afternoon nap 😁.) How long this current lack of energy will last as it will depend upon how you heal & recover. And you may have another period of low energy in a couple of months - it’s our body getting used to the changes.

Try adding an electrolyte drink to your Fluid roster. Try to get your fluids & Protein in. It may be difficult to begin but keep working at it. It does get easier & you will feel stronger & have more energy as you progress.

All the best.

Good idea, I will, thanks!

6 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

yep. Normal. You just went through major surgery. It took about two months before I felt completely back to normal, but you get better and better every day. The first couple weeks are the hardest. BUT....they'll soon be over!

Thanks for the reply!

Hi,
I'm 5 day post op and have ZERO energy. On a clear liquid diet until Tues, complete with a min 60 grams of Protein from shakes. I am now able to get 60-70 g Protein daily and drinking all the Water I can tolerate.. I also have 1/2 cup diluted 100% grape juice to get some carbs. Is it normal to be WIPED OUT even after naps and the daily recommended protein and Water? ? I almost feel weak like I have the flu but know I don't.

I'm 5 days out too. Maybe it's just because I've had so many surgeries but everyday I feel better. I slept most all of surgery day, Wednesday, Thursday came home and was exhausted. 2hr 45min drive. Slept 1/2 of Friday and since then I've been up, physically able to walk around some, and emotionally. I feel good! Pain is minimal and I think that's just the gas pain. I hope you can soon get to feel the "more than normal" that I've been feeling. I was just thankful this time they did the surgery. 3rd time we tried to get it done. Good luck and God Bless.

Sent from my SM-S901U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, absolutely it's normal! You've hardly consumed anything at this point and your body just went through an incredible amount of trauma. You're probably going to feel a bit drained for the next couple months to varying degrees.

This is what I experienced. I spent the first 2 weeks just sitting in a recliner sipping. After 3 weeks off I returned to my job and went straight to bed exhausted when I got home. It was another week or two before I felt like I had normal energy levels.

As others have said, perfectly normal! I was still taking naps 2 months out from surgery. Very thankful that I have a sedentary job. I feel for those with the physical jobs, as I can only imagine the fatigue they must feel post-surgery!

Enjoy the naps! I used to joke that I was melting the pounds away in my sleep!

I am feeling the exact same way! I had my band removed and a gastric sleeve procedure last Tuesday, 1/31 and it has been SO difficult getting through these days and I still have 7 more! I fluctuate between being starving and feeling too full to even drink any Protein. I had SEVERE lethargy two days ago and that has subsided somewhat. I'm no where NEAR ready to exercise but I do a walk around the block each day and I do a lap around the house each hour (using my apple watch "stand" reminder). I pureed cottage cheese and added it to cream of Tomato Soup and had that today and felt reborn! Good luck!!!

I remember that first week was a total wipe out for me. I didn't and couldn't do anything other than take naps and sit in the recliner. My kids were wondering if they needed to take me to the doctor. After about the second week I was feeling a lot better. Listen to your body and don't try to do too much. You'll be up and moving around in no time.

I’m six days post op and it’s been rough. I’m not getting enough Protein in, but I’m managing to get fluids in more and more each day.

I am exhausted too, but today I was able to do some light house cleaning such as folding laundry and putting things in their proper places. I am contributing my increased activity on day six to finally receiving a box of prescription nausea Patches. Not being nauseous helped me to get great sleep, which in turn helped me to be more active.