Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How fast do you dump? And water before and after meals

My Bariatric dietician told me that whilst standard advice remains 30 mins of no liquid before and after meals, 15 would suffice and does for all her patients, eventually becoming 10 mins. What do you all do?

Secondly, I know dumping is meant to hit within 30 mins (early dumping) but does it normally come on real quick for those who get it?

Thanks all, loving reading the forum from start to finish!

I'm 7.5 years out and according to my clinic, I'm still supposed to wait at least 30 minutes after eating to drink (and I do...). I'd say for most clinics, that rule is for life.

I don't dump, but dumping occurs once your food goes into your small intestine - so yes, that would probably take about 30 minutes, give or take... Some people call any kind of vomiting after eating something "dumping", but that's not true dumping. Dumping is when your small intestine goes into overdrive trying to deal with the all the sugar or fat you managed to consume in one sitting. Sweating or chills, dizziness, heart palpitations, cramps, and diarrhea are all common reactions. Nausea can be as well, but not as common.

The nutrition practice offered through my surgeon’s office said at 1 month we can drink up until the time we eat but after that first bite no more liquids until 30 minutes after our last. They indicated drink while or immediately after eating regularly is the most common way to stretch your stomach aka permanently weaken the restriction.

Thanks guys still blows my mind how different the advice and experience is for everyone haha (albeit similar of course)

4 hours ago, smc124 said:

The nutrition practice offered through my surgeon’s office said at 1 month we can drink up until the time we eat but after that first bite no more liquids until 30 minutes after our last. They indicated drink while or immediately after eating regularly is the most common way to stretch your stomach aka permanently weaken the restriction.

My nutritionist said the same thing--no restriction on drinking right up to the meal. After four years, I still adhere to that rule. However, my surgeon says that "stretching" the pouch is basically a myth and is extremely rare.

I usually drink up until I eat but I don't drink at all during meals and I always wait at least 30 minutes after a meal. It is a lifetime rule, according to all my surgeons. I find this rule to be the most critical for me, even more than Protein first. I don't know about anyone else but once I drink something, I almost always get hungry sooner.

Drinking is not something I really pay much attention to anymore, but on pondering it I think I'm close to following the rules.

I probably stop drinking about the length of time it takes to prepare the meal. While I have a drink available while eating, I sip only when I have dry food that needs a little help. After meals I drink after the cleanup and dishes are complete.

I do dump on sugars and fats. Dumping is caused by your intestines panicking and sending out the word to your body to send in all the fluids it can. This can cause profuse sweating, chills, shakes, headache, nausea, palpitations, diarrhea, vomiting, dry heaves. Usually a subset of these. Yes starts 15-30 minutes after you eat the offending food. All you can do is ride it out and avoid doing it again. Dumping is a great educator.

If you dump you will learn your limits, how much you can safely eat without dumping. Unfortunately, the limits can move up or down based on any number of things, like fatigue, illness, stress, medications, etc.

I have a sleeve but I also find I can drink right up until I eat with no issue. Once I eat I actually purposely delay drinking afterwards for as long as possible. At least an hour and better still up to 2.5 hours or so. Seems to keep my new stomach fuller for longer. Then I rehydrate and then think about solid food again. It has worked for me so far but I know it mightn't for everyone.

im 4+ years out.

I only followed the "dont drink 30 mins BEFORE meals" rule like the first 3 months. I discovered that drinking right up to the moment i put solids into my mouth had zero effect on me. so yeah.

BUT...the "don't drink 30 mins AFTER you eat" rule, i still follow religiously. if I dont follow this rule, i will 10 times out of 10 feel super-uncomfortably full. And 7 times out of 10 i will eventually barf.

Dumping: Im a sleeve and unfortunately, a dumper. If i have too much sugar (esp on an empty stomach) i will get some sort of symptom(s) within 20 mins. As in: heart racing, lethargy, lower stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, or just passing out. I could get one, some or all symptoms at once. *shudder*

P.S. when the diarrhea and vomiting come together, its the WORST. luckily haven't had one of these particular episodes in years, but the memory is still branded on my brain. *double shudder*

im 4+ years out.

I only followed the "dont drink 30 mins BEFORE meals" rule like the first 3 months. I discovered that drinking right up to the moment i put solids into my mouth had zero effect on me. so yeah.

BUT...the "don't drink 30 mins AFTER you eat" rule, i still follow religiously. if I dont follow this rule, i will 10 times out of 10 feel super-uncomfortably full. And 7 times out of 10 i will eventually barf.

Dumping: Im a sleeve and unfortunately, a dumper. If i have too much sugar (esp on an empty stomach) i will get some sort of symptom(s) within 20 mins. As in: heart racing, lethargy, lower stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, or just passing out. I could get one, some or all symptoms at once. *shudder*

P.S. when the diarrhea and vomiting come together, its the WORST. luckily haven't had one of these particular episodes in years, but the memory is still branded on my brain. *double shudder*

I had bypass and I dump on sugars mostly. I agree with the above posters. I have an early warning system of seeing halos and then spots before my eyes. I find it helpful to get Protein quickly to cut the sugar reaction. It happens 15-45 minutes after eating the offensive food. I’ve also had a delayed sugar reactive episode from eating a cup of ramen. It was 2 hours later and felt like dumping. Basically, your body will tell you what you need and what to avoid.