Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there any “tasteless’” protein powder?

Hi All,

I’m almost 2 weeks post op and struggling with hitting my Protein goals! Mainly because I don’t like sweets and most shakes have sweeteners. I have tried pea protein with “natural” taste but tastes like raw flour added to the food!

Is there no Protein Powder that is just tasteless and can be added to any food / drink without compromising the original taste?

Thanks 😊

Isopure whey Protein Isolate comes in an unflavored variety. I've mixed with Water, milk and kool aid type drinks.

Also protein water like Premier Protein clear or Protein2O are pretty good alternatives.

Flavorless? Yes. Tasteless? Not really. The closest I've found is the Isopure unflavored. It doesn't taste like anything specific, but you can taste it when mixed in to other things, if that makes sense. Its not bad or off putting, but vaguely there. I had better luck with it when mixed into savory foods (soups and purees) vs. sweet things (pudding or drinks).

Have you tried Bone Broth? Its a good source of savory Protein and hydration. You could also try the protein waters @Voogs mentioned- they are more like Gatorade; less sweet than the shakes and no chalky texture.

As an alternative, my plan never included Protein Drinks. My team was about new and appropriate meals that included 3-4 oz of Protein (chicken, beef, pork, seafood, lentils, etc.) and 1oz veggies. Such provides appropriate levels of protein in a diet while counting on... now get this... food!

Think about it.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

I bought a big tub of ‘flavourless’ pea Protein powder & it was awful. All I could taste was a stale pea flavour. It was probably linked to the temporary change in my taste buds because I love peas but I couldn’t stomach that. I never had another Protein Shake after those first two weeks. I discovered a high protein drinking yoghurt (make your own by blending yoghurt & milk) & I could eat yoghurt from purée. Got another 15 - 30g of protein depending which I had.

The BariatricPal Store carries a huge amount of bariatric friendly Unflavored Protein options at https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/protein-powders/flavor_unflavored

Some popular options are:

I found GENEPRO to be pretty tasteless, but stopped using it after a few months because of some dubious things I read online about it, and the newest version doesn’t contain as much Protein as the former ones claimed to.

I now use Syntrax medical unflavored. It has a slight taste, but better than several others I tried. I can’t taste it in oatmeal, pancakes, or Breakfast Cookies. I think it would have a taste/texture in Water, though. GL!

On 2/1/2023 at 10:08 PM, Taniya said:

I have tried pea Protein with “natural” taste but tastes like raw flour added to the food!

There are "natural" protein powders, i. e. no flavor was added.

However, adding a protein powder will always alter the texture of your foods. Also every protein powder has a certain taste and/or aftertaste.

Try to get your hands on different samples and choose from there. Protein powders made of more than one components are also available with a different texture and taste. Also try different brands.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:46 AM, Samsontryn said:

It can be a real challenge, especially when you're not a fan of all the sweeteners in most Protein Shakes.

I've been there, and I get it. That's why I want to suggest what I believe is the best casein Protein powder. It won't mess with the flavors of your food or drinks. Casein protein blends seamlessly into various dishes. You can mix it into savory foods, like Soups or stews, or even stir it into your morning coffee without turning it into a sugary mess. It's versatile, and you won't have that "raw flour" taste you mentioned with pea protein.