Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss stalling?

Have any of you experience a stall in the weight loss? At the 3-month mark I noticed I stopped losing weight and I even gained 2 pounds. My diet has changed a little bit and continue to follow suggestions by my nutritionist.

Yep! I've experienced a few stalls. I only lost like 5lbs~ in my 3rd month while I was doing everything correctly but I lost almost tripple that in my 4th month.

Just keep at it! Stalls are normal & they will continue to happen. If you stick to your plan you will break out of it & your hard work will pay off.

Yep, that's a stall. Totally normal, you'll have a lot more. I tend to gain around 4 pounds in a stall and then just stay there for weeks until it breaks.

I think it is safe to say that EVERYONE hits stalls. It's frustrating, but happens to everyone. Lots of adjusting going on in your body, so your system has to catch up.

I never experienced a stall. The secret is to get off the scale.

I was too large for a home scale for at least the first year, so I only knew my weight at my monthly follow-ups with my surgeon.

Eventually I was able to fit on a home scale, which I weighed on several times a day for a couple weeks, then I returned to only weighing at monthly follow-ups. It certainly made for a lot less stress over weight loss.

I still only weigh at medical appointments, usually my annual physical.

One does not need a scale to follow one's plan.

Good luck,

Tek

I feel like I have not hit a stall neither and I'm about 10 weeks, granted I do not weight myself daily, more of once a week to keep me on track. I would not worry about a 2-pound gain, it can be the new food you are trying or retaining Water, which is usually my case.

Stalls in weight loss after bariatric surgery are common and can occur for a variety of reasons, including changes in diet, hormonal imbalances, or the body adapting to the weight loss. It's important to consult with your surgeon and/or dietitian to determine the cause and address it appropriately. They may suggest adjusting your diet or increasing physical activity. Additionally, it's important to remember that weight loss is not always linear and can fluctuate over time. Keep track of other health markers, such as body measurements, energy levels, and overall health, to gauge progress and ensure that you are on track.

I'm only in week 6 post-op and had a very hard time getting in all my fluids for WEEKS after surgery. The Protein was difficult, too. Felt like I was CONSTANTLY drinking or eating and everything gave me nausea. In all of my Googling, I read that dehydration can absolutely bring weight loss to a halt as well as not getting sufficient protein. When I was finally able to meet my daily goals of both last week, the pounds started falling off, one to two pounds a DAY. I know that is crazy and it won't last too much longer, but I was grateful for the breakthrough. Also, any diet less than 1,200 calories will negatively impact your metabolism in the long run and really slow weight loss or bring it to a stop. So, if you're further down the road post-op and eating regular foods, check your calorie intake. All of this advice is armchair dietitian advice sourced from Dr. Google. Lol I just thought they were interesting finds.

Yes definitely sounds like a stall. I urge you not to over-analyse what came before or after - that way madness lies. If you're sticking to your programme you WILL lose weight but it will NOT be in a linear fashion. It's zigs and zags, big losses one week, none (or a gain) the next.

What matters is looking back over the entire period and seeing a downward trend. Some people seem to have taken the path of checking weight at looooong intervals. Most of us weigh much more frequently because we can't bear not to. None of that matters - the fact remains - if you stick to the rules you will lose weight (in all but the rarest circumstances).

You have absolutely done the best thing you could ever have done for your health. If you can relax a tiny bit more and accept that then you're gonna have a fun few months and come out of those lighter and healthier. Best of luck. 😍

Edited by Spinoza

Totally normal when you stall watch your clothes sizes. A lot of times when the weight stalls the inches still come down. I'm six and a half months out and in my second stall now but lost 4 inches in band size in my bra alone and down 3 more pant sizes...jusr keep at it ;)

Sent from my Acer Chromebook 15 (CB3-532) using BariatricPal mobile app

Definitely a stall and they are annoying. I think I've hit one every 3 months. I get off the scale for a week, really look at my food journal to see where I am with Protein and Water intake, and maybe change up my exercise. I've gotten pissed with myself because the scale did not budge for three weeks but in the meantime, I had dropped a full dress size because I built muscle from adding weight lifting. To shift your mind and relax your body, I recommend yoga for stress and relaxation.

Namaste.